cowboy casserole

  • fowlerlou20
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
      Here's a recipe we did this weekend for a couple of folks who were interested in seeing how dutch oven cooking is done.

      2 pounds hamburger meat
      1 large onion chopped
      2 cans pinto beans
      2 cans cream of mushroom soup
      1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles

      Brown the hamburger and drain. Mix that with all the other ingredients.
      Top with your favorite cornbread recipe. Bake until the cornbread is done.

      You can adjust ingredients to your tastes. I bake this in a 14 inch oven, and we had plenty!! We also did a peach cobbler and steamed broccoli and cauliflower in a 10 inch pot and topped the veggies with shredded cheese.

      I used a parchment liner in the cobbler pot. Found the liners in the camping section at Walmart. This was a really good meal and we were stuffed.
    • hjtravelers

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
          That sounds good - thanks! Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "fowlerlou20" <fowlerlou20@...> wrote:

          > Here's a recipe we did this weekend for a couple of folks who were interested in seeing how dutch oven cooking is done.
          >
          > 2 pounds hamburger meat
          > 1 large onion chopped
          > 2 cans pinto beans
          > 2 cans cream of mushroom soup
          > 1 can Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
          >
          > Brown the hamburger and drain. Mix that with all the other ingredients.
          > Top with your favorite cornbread recipe. Bake until the cornbread is done.
          >
          > You can adjust ingredients to your tastes. I bake this in a 14 inch oven, and we had plenty!! We also did a peach cobbler and steamed broccoli and cauliflower in a 10 inch pot and topped the veggies with shredded cheese.
          >
          > I used a parchment liner in the cobbler pot. Found the liners in the camping section at Walmart. This was a really good meal and we were stuffed.

        • Wally Dennis
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
            What size can of pinto beans and the mushroom soup.  Sounds like a good recipe I live alone would like it scaled down to a 8 or 6" oven.
            Thanks Wally

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
              I believe she called it a Casserole Hal.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
                I realize that but was wondering if the casserole would come out kind of dry without some liquid in it. That's why I asked if the bean liquid was enough.

                Hal

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
                  My guess would be that no water is added. You'll get a little liquid from the Rotel, in addition to the liquid from the beans. My $0.02. Ronda

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 1, 2009
                    The rotel and liquid from the beans seemed to add enough liquid to the dish. The cans of mushroom soup were the small ones. LOU
                  • hjtravelers
                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
                      I apologize to all! I must have stopped reading at the mushroom soup because I do not like mushroom soup. Had I noticed the Rotel listing, I would have known there would be sufficient liquid along with the bean juice. DUH! Shame on me!

                      I do like mushrooms, just not the soup.

                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
                        That's ok Hal...  Change it up and add a cream of celery or onion.  Either way it is going to be good!

                        Randy Bear

                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
                          I don't like mushrooms OR mushroom soup. I'm going to use cream of celery! Ronda

                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 2, 2009
                            Now we are learning why you are a skinny cook.........you dont like any of the good stuff !