A LARGE Oval Pot

  • Biscuit
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
      Tapscrew had an OLD Large Oval Pot. It does not have a lid. It looks like an over sized LODGE or Camp Chef Ovel Roaster. It is about 12 inches wide and 24 inches long. It has small feet on the botton with a GATE mark on bottom.

      Any ideas what this is and used for?

      And please don't tell me about the Pan Man. I know about him.

      Biscuit
    • Dave Prestage
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
        Could be what they call a ham boiler, Biscuit. I have one (gate mark and
        all) and it doesn't have a lid either. Beautiful piece, though. Dutchin'
        Dave P.

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
          Hi,Since it's an oval, it is most likely a roaster that had a dome lid. Since it has feet, I would say it was used in a hearth (fire place).A #10 or #12 Wagner or Griswold oval roaster lid might fit it.I have a #7 Wagner oval roaster that is almost as large as the one you wrote about.Regards,Greg Jacobs

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
            I have posted photos in the ohoto section. Album is under OVAL POT.
            Pot is 12x22x10. 12 wide 22 long and 10 deep inches.
            It has an HK in the middle and a gate mark on each side. 4 small feet.

            What do you think this is worth?

            It belonged to Tapscrew.

            Biscuit
          • Greg Jacobs
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
              Hi Biscut,That sure is an oval roaster!Regards,Greg Jacobs

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                What do you think this is worth?

                It belonged to Tapscrew.

                Biscuit

                A DO is only worth what someone would pay for it.

                I'll start the bidding at $20.00

                Ken

                The Other Ken

                (ROTFL)

                Recent Activity

                8

                New Members

                6

                New Photos

                Visit Your Group

                Yahoo! News

                Odd News

                You won't believe

                it, but it's true

                DonorsChoose

                Support our

                Troops' Children

                Give to education

                Support Group

                Lose lbs together

                Share your weight-

                los

              • Dave Prestage
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 1, 2009
                  Yes, it is an oval pot for sure. Just like mine, it is/was a ham boiler.
                  Never came with a lid. Tapscrew's had those "H.K." initials on his, mine
                  didn't (mine has an 8 and then a sideways zero on it for some reason).
                  Otherwise, they are identical. About three years ago, they were going for
                  around $375 if you could find one. I have no idea what they are worth
                  today. Dutchin' Dave P.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 2, 2009
                    Thanks for the info Dave. It looks like we have got a piece of HISTORY.
                    I got a couple of LODGE piece that has an initals on the bottom. The person who cast the pot would put their initals on them. to ID the item that they made. They were paid that way for there work.

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Prestage" <dprestage@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, it is an oval pot for sure. Just like mine, it is/was a ham boiler.
                    > Never came with a lid. Tapscrew's had those "H.K." initials on his, mine
                    > didn't (mine has an 8 and then a sideways zero on it for some reason).
                    > Otherwise, they are identical. About three years ago, they were going for
                    > around $375 if you could find one. I have no idea what they are worth
                    > today. Dutchin' Dave P.
                  • John Foster
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:

                      > Tapscrew had an OLD Large Oval Pot.

                      H.K. = Hong Kong? Maybe?
                    • Lynn LeSueur
                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 3, 2009
                        I would say that the HK may be the initials of the person who cast the pot.

                        Lynn in AZ

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 5, 2009
                          Oval roaster fer sure. I dont need another one. On occasion these sell at a pretty premium price. Me, I'd just keep it.

                          Da Hat??
                        • Biscuit
                          Message 12 of 13 , Aug 6, 2009
                            Miss Frances decided to keep it. Tapscrews favorite meat was HAM. Country HAM.

                            Thanks for your input to this oval pot. Sometimes you never know what you have, until someone lets you know.

                            Biscuit
                          • Al Knoll
                            Message 13 of 13 , Aug 7, 2009
                              Nice to see it stayed in the fambly. Now country ham...mmmm....Deitrich's near Ft. Indiantown Gap, PA sells some serious country ham. Very suitable for roasting, not that I'd boil it but in a pinch.