Re: Creole Cooking in Cast Iron

  • tedejo69
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 31, 2009
      U guys I might actually have some real fun with this .. my daughter is a veterinarian n she & her hubby both have a real unique sense of humor. Her next office "treat" may have just gotten very interestin'!!! BTW Either I will have to bake it for her or her hubby will the poor girl can't boil water without a recipe. For her 30th birthday she asked for cookbooks finally & for the 1st time I might add. We made the mistake 1 yr of asking her to "carve" the turkey..Almost had to go out for dinner she took so long performing the surgerical procedure n givin' the anatomy lesson!! TERE

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, blackpotdinners@... wrote:

      > Sorry I didn't get back to you. Family reunion stuff. Ken has the same recipe as I do, except I warm the tootise rolls in a 5" to get them soft. Its fun try it out and let me know what you think. Bear in AZ

    • Ken Brown
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009
        I did this recipe several years ago for a church social. I wasn't sure how it would go over, but the ladies loved the idea and the kids had a lot of fun with it.

        Ken

      • blackpotdinners@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 1, 2009
          Yea, people just kind of look at it funny and wonder if it's safe to eat. It is a good conversation piece.

          From: "Ken Brown" <savage99_250@...>

          Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 22:36:38
          To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>
          Subject: [dutchovencooking] Re: Creole Cooking in Cast Iron

          I did this recipe several years ago for a church social. I wasn't sure how it would go over, but the ladies loved the idea and the kids had a lot of fun with it.

          Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, blackpotdinners@... wrote:

          > Sorry I didn't get back to you. Family reunion stuff. Ken has the same recipe as I do, except I warm the tootise rolls in a 5" to get them soft. Its fun try it out and let me know what you think. Bear in AZ

        • Al Knoll
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 5, 2009
            Been checkin the group for the OBIT, Fork, ...None yet. Ifn you have a slight iron deficiency, dietary not cookware, eatin out of CI tools is just the ticket. That's why most of the Forks ancestors lived so long, I suspect. My aunticestors and unclecestors cooked in and with cast iron including tomato sauces and such. Aunt Catherine made 80+, Aunt DeeDee is hammerin on at 86, Alma 87 and still growlin. Cast Iron is OK stuff.

            Ifn you have a cookware iron deficiency OCD thing then there wont be much on this group to help you with that cause apparently we all have a basic lust for fine CI cookin tools.

            Da Hat??

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mark & Kathy" <katmar@...> wrote:

            > I have ancesters for many generations past that cooked ALL of their Cajun/Creole food most of their lives in cast iron and they are all DEAD, mostly of old age. I've been eating food cooked in cast iron, with and without RED sauce, for 65 years now and I guess I'll be dead in another 20 to 30 years. So with that info, be very carefull about what you cook in them bad ole cast iron pots. You could DIE, in 80 to 100 years.
            >
            > Now I gotta go stir my chili that I'm cooking in an 8 qt C I bean pot on an outdoor stove. I have tomatoes and beans in it and I'm using a metal spoon to stir it with. So, everyone, keep checking this group 4 or 5 times a day so that you'll be first to read my OBIT.
            >
            > Mark "Da Fork"

          • Mark & Kathy
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 5, 2009
              Al, nope, no OBIT yet. Still kicking. But I don't kick my pots around. I once kicked a paper bag that was laying on the ground out in some woods in the panhandle of Florida. I was wearing sneekers and nearly broke my toe. Inside the bag was an old 5 qt bean pot half full of old oil that someone had used to fry fish. After cleaning it up we used that pot for years till one day it broke while we were cooking beans in it. Ruined a good pot of beans. What a mess. The next day we went and bought a new one and still have it.

              Eating red meat is not bad for you,
              Eating green fuzzy meat is bad for you...

              Someone else came up with that saying but I forgot who.

              "Da Fork"