Re: [dutchovencooking] cleaning of DO

  • Ken Wasness
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2009
      Ellen,
      1/2 water and 1/2 vinager.
      Soak overnight and then clean with soap and water and then hot water.
      Oil and season like a new pot.
      This works best to remove Rust.

      Black Iron Cooker

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2009
        If the rust or crud is just inside I always go to the dollar store and get their 2 or 3 liter bottles of cola. Dump it in and 2 to 3 days you've got bare metal. Wash and season as usual.
        Bear in AZ

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 6, 2009
          I'll make it easy i put this in my cook books.
          Cleaning: Cleaning cast iron is really quite easy and simple. As the same principal with seasoning, there are as many opinions as there are cooks. The methods I have found to work for me, are written here to share with you. However, as you cook more and more with cast iron and camp Dutch ovens, you will find a method that works best for you and your style of cooking.
          Right after I am finished cooking in my Dutch ovens, I like to use a spray bottle filled with a solution of 4 parts of water to 1 part of apple cider vinegar to clean and sanitize with. First, scrape out all the extra bits of food with a plastic scraper; then spray the vinegar solution into the hot Dutch oven and wipe it out with a couple of paper towels. Sometimes, I need to spray and wipe out the oven several times to get it clean. But, it works well and the cider vinegar has other uses as well.
          Many people will tell you to never clean cast iron with soap and water. I have found this to be an excellent way to clean cast iron and, sometimes use soap and water myself. Be sure that cast iron is warm to free the food from the pores easily, and rinse the cast iron with hot water, very well, to remove all of the soap.
          The last and most important thing to do after cleaning your cast iron is not applying more oil to the iron; but, to dry it completely over, or in a heat source, to keep it from rusting. When drying cast iron, don't get it to hot. It only needs to be about 225o for the moisture to evaporate and dry out. Once the pot, pan, or Dutch oven is cleaned and dried, place a paper towel inside with a little of the paper towel going to the outside to "wick" out any moisture from inside the pot and lid. Be sure to store your cast iron dry, without oil to keep it from turning rancid.
          Rust Removal and Stripping Rancid Seasoning: Many people I have met over the many years of teaching camp Dutch oven cooking classes have asked me how to remove seasoning that is rancid or how to remove rust from cast iron. Removing rust can be as simple as using an S.O.S. pad or can get as involved as building an electrolysis tank for heavy rust. I will tell you about two simple methods and for electrolysis information you can search the internet for one of many sites telling you how from A to Z.
          There are two main methods I use for rust removal which are both safe and effective. The first is for light rust and is quick and easy, usually taking less than 10 minutes before baking on a new layer of seasoning over the pot or pan. Simply take a S.O.S. pad and scrub the warmed cast iron with the S.O.S. pad and rinse with very hot water. Dry with towels and place the iron back into a 500° to 550° oven and proceed with the seasoning instructions above.
          The second is a little slower but does a great job on removing moderate to heavy rust. In a time span of 24 to 48 hours the rust is consumed through a chemical reaction between alfalfa hay and apple cider vinegar. You need a large non metallic tub like a Rubbermaid storage container or plastic barrel, some alfalfa hay or cubes and apple cider vinegar with some boiling water. Place a 1" layer of alfalfa hay or ½" layer of cubes or pellets in the bottom of the tub. Place the rusted iron on top of the bed of alfalfa and bring the layer of alfalfa to 1" over the top of the iron and inside the iron also. Lastly boil enough water to cover the iron 1" over the top of the iron. You want to use a 3:1 ratio of boiling water to apple cider vinegar. Let the iron set in the tub for 24 hours then the next day, take it out of the tub and spray it off with a hose and check it out. Scrub it with an S.O.S. pad and wash with hot soap and water, rinsing well. Toss it in a hot oven and follow seasoning instructions. If you have heavy rust use a steel brush on a drill and brush all the rust off you can then soak in the alfalfa solution. When the iron dries in the oven it is common to see a light orange powdery rust layer, this is normal and in not a reason to panic. Just Season the cast iron and you are ready to cook in your re-conditioned cast iron.
        • Jason Jelinek
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 7, 2009
            There are as many ways to de-gunk a DO as there are people that own Dutch Ovens. My favorite involves something you'll find readily around most kitchens; Kosher Salt.

            Scrape your DO of all the bits you can get off easily, rinse with plain water, then put a good pinch of coarse kosher salt in your DO and rub around with a paper towel on top to make a salt-sanding block. The salt is softer than the carbon so it will scrape off the stuck on food but won't scrape off your lovely cured finish. Rinse and dry when done and you're ready to store or cook again.

            Jason

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, blackpotdinners@... wrote:

            > If the rust or crud is just inside I always go to the dollar store and get their 2 or 3 liter bottles of cola. Dump it in and 2 to 3 days you've got bare metal. Wash and season as usual.
          • Ken Brown
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 7, 2009
              If I have some bits of leftover food in an oven, I will heat a little water in the bottom of the oven, and then work it loose with a plastic scraper or a wooden scraper.

              Older, softer facecloths make good cleaning tools also. Use them to clean the bottom and sides of the oven. When you are through, dispose of the water and food remains, wipe down the inside, and heat it to remove any moisture.

              I use a single burner Coleman stove to fire charcoal, then to heat the water, and heat the oven afterward.

              Ken

              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 7, 2009
                Ken,

                Is this a one time mix, or can you use the vinegar/water mixture more than one time?

                Ken

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wasness <blackironcooker@...> wrote:

                > Ellen,
                > 1/2 water and 1/2 vinager.
                > Soak overnight and then clean with soap and water and then hot water.
                > Oil and season like a new pot.
                > This works best to remove Rust.
                >
                > Black Iron Cooker
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Fran L-G
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 7, 2009
                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Brown" <savage99_250@...> wrote:
                  Hi Ken,

                  I'm not Ken, but I've had success with the vinegar solution.

                  I'd say it's possible to re-use the solution, but it gets pretty gunky with the old seasoning coming off that one is even tempted to toss out the batch & get a fresh mixture at each check! I usually give a little scrub too while checking, and you can continue to scrub the cast iron while it is soaking in the original vinegar solution instead of rinsing, but I'm pretty frugal so I just keep the same solution for the duration of a piece that is being restored.

                  I wouldn't save the solution for another use, personally. You'd probably have to refrigerate it if you were really frugal.

                  Fran L-G
                  Cleveland OH

                  > Ken,
                  >
                  > Is this a one time mix, or can you use the vinegar/water mixture more than one time?
                  >
                  > Ken
                  >
                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wasness <blackironcooker@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Ellen,
                  > > 1/2 water and 1/2 vinager.
                  > > Soak overnight and then clean with soap and water and then hot water.
                  > > Oil and season like a new pot.
                  > > This works best to remove Rust.
                  > >
                  > > Black Iron Cooker
                • Ken Brown
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 7, 2009
                    Howdy, Fran.

                    I thought I would try this, so I found an old plastic dishpan and an old rusty garage sale skillet I bought. So far, this is working fine. I put everything together about noon.

                    I had thought I could reuse this and add a little fresh vinegar. When the reaction slows down, I will know it is time to replace the liquid.

                    I may start paying closer attention to rusty tools at garage sales after this.

                    Ken

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...> wrote:

                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken Brown" <savage99_250@> wrote:
                    > Hi Ken,
                    >
                    > I'm not Ken, but I've had success with the vinegar solution.
                    >
                    > I'd say it's possible to re-use the solution, but it gets pretty gunky with the old seasoning coming off that one is even tempted to toss out the batch & get a fresh mixture at each check! I usually give a little scrub too while checking, and you can continue to scrub the cast iron while it is soaking in the original vinegar solution instead of rinsing, but I'm pretty frugal so I just keep the same solution for the duration of a piece that is being restored.
                    >
                    > I wouldn't save the solution for another use, personally. You'd probably have to refrigerate it if you were really frugal.
                    >
                    > Fran L-G
                    > Cleveland OH
                    >

                    > > Ken,
                    > >
                    > > Is this a one time mix, or can you use the vinegar/water mixture more than one time?
                    > >
                    > > Ken
                    > >
                    > > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Ken Wasness <blackironcooker@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Ellen,
                    > > > 1/2 water and 1/2 vinager.
                    > > > Soak overnight and then clean with soap and water and then hot water.
                    > > > Oil and season like a new pot.
                    > > > This works best to remove Rust.
                    > > >
                    > > > Black Iron Cooker

                  • Steven Stuckey
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 29, 2009
                      Just got word that my PSA is 4.5 and should be 4.2. I have 30 days to lower this reading does anybody know any foods that might help?
                      Thanks,Steven Stuckey - Indiana

                    • Ronda
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 29, 2009
                        Steve I have read more than once that hot peppers are good for that. I'll see if I can find an article to forward to you. Ronda

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 29, 2009
                          I just sent you an off group email Steve. Ronda

                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 29, 2009
                            There is that stuff I hear advertised on the radio all the time Beta
                            Prostate.

                            http://www.betaprostate.com/

                            Supports the Prostate and Healthy Urination in Men
                            Super Beta Prostate feeds the prostate nutrients that supports normal
                            functioning.* In recent years, discoveries of certain herbs and minerals
                            have led to the creation of Super Beta Prostate. This groundbreaking blend
                            is an all-natural prostate supplement loaded with over three-hundred
                            milligrams of beta-sitosterol per daily serving. Beta-sitosterols contain
                            phytochemicals, which support prostate and urinary health in men. In fact,
                            beta-sitosterol is a main ingredient in saw palmetto berries, which have
                            been used for years as a supplement to support prostate health.

                            Fortunately (knock on wood) I do not have any experience in this area.

                            Randy Bear

                          • blackpotdinners@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 29, 2009
                              Hot peppers, as hot as your system can handle. Mine was 4.8 got it down to 4.2 in 28 days. As the days went on I could eat hotter and hotter peppers. Ate 1 the first day, 12 the last day. Got so I even liked the hot ones. Good luck.
                              bear in AZ

                              From: Steven Stuckey <n9wnn@...>

                              Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 18:23:59
                              To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>