Tex Mex Products in Kroger

  • "BISCUIT"
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
      Captain! I was in Kroger the other day. I saw a friend in the produce
      section. We were visiting and she saw some red corn, yellow corn and
      beans in sealed bags. We were wondering what the red corn was for?
      Then on down was a line up of all kinds of chilies. So, we decided
      that this must be the Mex isle.

      We are seeing alot of this in Mississippi. Some of these items are
      strange to us ole Mississippi folk. We are use to Hot Biscuits and
      Red Eye gravey.
    • dutchovenben
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
        Up here in Washington state, you can't go into a store without a
        mexican food isle. Red corn is just a novelty, like blue corn. Them
        dried chilies make great sauces and stews. They use these peppers to
        make authentic chili (stewed meat and dried chili peppers simmered
        over low heat for hours, till the meat falls apart and the peppers
        dissolve into a sauce) and to make mole, which is like a pepper
        gravy.

        I miss my biscuits and red eye gravy, with fried ham and eggs over
        easy. No one up here has an idea what that is. They also don't know
        what fried catfish, hushpuppies, and fried okra are, either. Their
        idea of okra is to boil it fresh or frozen with stewed tomatoes.
        It's surprising cuz we got lots of channel cats, blues and bullheads
        in our river here that get up to 20 lbs or more. You can't noodle
        them in this river, but you can bait em in the shallows pretty good.
        Of course, we got plenty of sturgeon here, which get to 10 feet long
        pretty regular, and weigh up to 300-400 lbs. You can't keep any over
        5 feet, but they are as good eatin as any catfish I ever had. At
        least I can get my Tony Chacere's seasoning mixes up here now.

        --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "\"BISCUIT\"" <n5hbb@y...> wrote:
        > Captain! I was in Kroger the other day. I saw a friend in the
        produce
        > section. We were visiting and she saw some red corn, yellow corn
        and
        > beans in sealed bags. We were wondering what the red corn was for?
        > Then on down was a line up of all kinds of chilies. So, we decided
        > that this must be the Mex isle.
        >
        > We are seeing alot of this in Mississippi. Some of these items are
        > strange to us ole Mississippi folk. We are use to Hot Biscuits and
        > Red Eye gravey.
      • Da Cap'n
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
          Howdy Mr. Biscuit!

          As far as I know, there are 6 distinct colors of corn, these all come
          from the Indian tropical flint corn -the colors are blue, white, red,
          yellow, black, and a mixture of all these colors on one cob.

          I am not sure what the red corn might be for (except for color)
          however, I do know that the blue corn is highly important in some
          Indian cultures. It is believed to be of devine origin, and is used
          in their religious life. If we have some American Indians in this
          group that follow these old ways, maybe they can give us some more
          information. I believe most tribes that follow this custom, are from
          the Western area of the US.

          I am highly pleased that the Great State of Mississippi is coming
          into the "LIGHT" about chili peppers! Chili peppers are good for you!

          Well, so is red eye gravy!

          Cap

          --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "\"BISCUIT\"" <n5hbb@y...> wrote:
          > Captain! I was in Kroger the other day. I saw a friend in the
          produce
          > section. We were visiting and she saw some red corn, yellow corn
          and
          > beans in sealed bags. We were wondering what the red corn was for?
          > Then on down was a line up of all kinds of chilies. So, we decided
          > that this must be the Mex isle.
          >
          > We are seeing alot of this in Mississippi. Some of these items are
          > strange to us ole Mississippi folk. We are use to Hot Biscuits and
          > Red Eye gravey.
        • David Adams
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
            We have the Mexican isles too, but for the prices they
            charge for Mexican food, I can't see how the Mexicans
            can eat.

            --- dutchovenben <benjammin@...> wrote:
            > Up here in Washington state, you can't go into a
            > store without a
            > mexican food isle. Red corn is just a novelty, like
            > blue corn. Them
            > dried chilies make great sauces and stews. They use
            > these peppers to
            > make authentic chili (stewed meat and dried chili
            > peppers simmered
            > over low heat for hours, till the meat falls apart
            > and the peppers
            > dissolve into a sauce) and to make mole, which is
            > like a pepper
            > gravy.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com
          • cssol
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2002
              ahh..
              but if you want cinnamon sticks...
              or bulk herbs...they seem to be a LOT LOWER in price here in eastern Washington..
              than the herbs you will find in the tiny glass jars in the spice row..

              *sheri*
              We have the Mexican isles too, but for the prices they
              charge for Mexican food, I can't see how the Mexicans
              can eat.

              --- dutchovenben <benjammin@...> wrote:
              > Up here in Washington state, you can't go into a
              > store without a
              > mexican food isle. Red corn is just a novelty, like
              > blue corn. Them
              > dried chilies make great sauces and stews. They use
              > these peppers to
              > make authentic chili (stewed meat and dried chili
              > peppers simmered
              > over low heat for hours, till the meat falls apart
              > and the peppers
              > dissolve into a sauce) and to make mole, which is
              > like a pepper
              > gravy.

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor