Chipolte Chili Verde

  • Da Cap'n
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 3, 2002
      Chipolte Chili Verde

      This is a most fine TexMex dish that is called Chili Verde, or
      Green Chili. This recipe uses a mix of
      meats, both beef and pork, and several different kinds of fresh
      chili and one very special kind of
      dried chili, the Chipolte chili.

      What is a chipolte chili, Cap?

      Glad you asked-the Chipolte is a jalapeno chili pepper that has
      been grown to full maturity and is
      cherry red in color. It is harvested in that red state, and then
      it is dried and smoked over a wood fire,
      the wood is usually mesquite wood. This chili has a sharp bite,
      and a very mellow smoky flavor.
      They are usually used when making stews, chili, pinto beans, and
      sometimes in salsa!

      You can find them in a Mexican food store and sometimes in the
      Mexican section of your local
      supermarket. The dried chipolte will keep a very long time when
      stored in an air tight jar. You can
      also buy chipolte chili in a can with tomato sauce-chipolte en
      adobo. This works ok, but does not
      have the same flavor as the dried chili.

      This green chili can be cooked with or without the chipolte, I
      believe the dish is better with them!

      This makes an excellent Dutch oven dish, and it just looks right
      cooking on that camp fire!

      I have made this dish at a lot of fish and deer camps, and it has
      always been a winner! You would
      be surprised at how many times me and my pots get invited to go
      fishing and hunting!

      2 lb pork roast cut into stew meat
      2 lb beef roast cut into stew meat
      2 big bell peppers, seeded, chopped
      6 New Mexico or Anaheim fresh big green chili-seeded and chopped
      A big white onion-chopped
      3 cloves garlic, minced
      1 big can tomatoes-28 oz chopped + juice
      1/2 tsp dried red chili flakes
      5 or 6 dried, smoked chipolte chili peppers(optional)
      2 tsp salt
      beef stock

      3 good shakes liquid smoke
      1/2 tsp cumin powder

      In a little oil in a skillet, brown meat rolled in flour-throw in
      Dutch oven

      Add everything in first group to Dutch oven

      Add beef stock to barely cover

      Put Dutch oven in coals and cook at close to simmer about 2.5
      to 3 hours

      Add liquid smoke and cumin. Stir. If very juicy, leave lid off
      Dutch oven and simmer down last 1/2 hour. Thicken with a little
      corn starch mixed in water if needed.

      Serve as you would regular chili. Makes excellent burritos when
      you add a little fried potato to it.

      © 2000 by Phil Mahan
      Cooking with Da Cap'n