Kidron Recipes

  • Michael Warner
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2009
      Someone mentioned that up in Utah, Thai was becoming popular. Our contributions to the 2nd Annual at Kidron, Ohio. Pot of Basmati rice between the two dishes, served with both. Allergies: Coconut. Bean dish is Vegetarian/Vegan.

      Mike & Elaine Warner

      FRENCH GREEN BEANS WITH COCONUT - Mike & Elaine Warner

      Ingredients:
      4 14.5 oz. cans French cut beans
      2 cup shredded fresh coconut or 2 cup sweetened flake coconut
      1 cup finely sliced onion
      1 tablespoon cumin seed
      1 tablespoon grated ginger
      1 tablespoon grated garlic
      1 - 2 tablespoon Thai Sriracha Sauce (chili sauce)
      1 tablespoon turmeric powder
      1 teaspoon salt, or to taste

      Directions:
      · Drain the beans and reserve the juice.
      · Preheat the Dutch Oven to 350 degrees with the lid on. In my 12" I'd go 17 top / 8 bottom.
      · Remove the lid, add the oil and cover the bottom with the oil.
      · In the Dutch Oven, sauté the onions until translucent or slightly brown.
      · Add the beans, coconut, cumin, ginger, garlic, chili sauce, turmeric, salt and two cans worth of the green bean liquid.
      · Stir and cover the DO.
      · Lower the heat and cook for 5-7 minutes. Remember that the beans are already cooked – don't let them go to mush. In my 12" I'd reduce to 10 top / 5 bottom. You might even let it simmer for a bit longer than the 7 minutes.
      · Add more bean liquid if needed.

      Serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice.
      Serves 8

      EASY THAI RED CURRY CHICKEN RECIPE
      Originally by Darlene Schmidt at About.com – modified by Mike & Elaine Warner

      This Chicken Curry can be made anywhere from mild to red-hot, depending on how much spice you prefer. In Thailand this curry would be simmered in a wok over a stovetop, but I've adapted it to a Dutch Oven.

      Prep Time: 20 minutes
      Cook Time: 1 hour, give or take
      Ingredients:
      · 4 chicken breasts, cut into parts bite sized pieces
      · 4-6 kaffir lime leaves (Asian food store) OR substitute 2 Tbsp. lime juice
      · 2 cinnamon stick OR substitute 1 tsp. cinnamon
      · fresh basil leaves for garnish
      ·
      · The RED CURRY SAUCE:
      · 1 19 oz. can of coconut milk
      · 1 15 oz. can of chicken broth
      · 4 shallots OR 1 cup purple onion, sliced
      · 2 thumb-size piece galangal OR fresh ginger root
      · 6 cloves garlic
      · 6 Tbsp. fish sauce
      · 2 Tbsp. chili powder (I used 1 tsp. Thai Sriracha chili sauce – good stuff)
      · 2 Tbsp. ground cumin
      · 2 Tbsp. ground coriander
      · 4 heaping tsp. brown sugar
      · optional: 4 tsp. shrimp paste - available by the jar at Asian stores
      · optional: 2 fresh red chili, minced, OR 1 to 2 tsp. cayenne pepper, OR 1 to 2 tsp. dried chili flakes
      ·
      · the VEGETABLES:
      · 2 large red or green bell pepper, chopped into small strips or bite sized pieces
      · 4-6 tomatoes OR 10-12 Roma tomatoes cut into bite-size pieces
      · optional: 1 to 2 eggplants, chopped into bite-size pieces (leave skin on)

      Preparation:
      Note: If this is to be cooked at a DOG, you may want to prep your Sauce at home using a food processor – much easier.

      1. Place all curry sauce ingredients, except Coconut Milk, into a food processor or blender and process well. Add a bit of the milk (1 Cup) and process again.
      2. Preheat the Dutch Oven to 350 degrees. In my 12" I'd go 17 top / 8 bottom.
      3. Place chicken pieces into the Dutch Oven.
      4. Pour the curry sauce and the rest of the Coconut Milk over the chicken. Stir well, so that each of the chicken pieces is covered with sauce.
      5. Add the kaffir lime leaves and cinnamon, mixing these into the sauce.
      6. Cover and bake 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
      7. Remove the lid and add the red (or green) peppers and stir them into the sauce. Recover.
      8. Allow it to cook for 20 minutes, until chicken and the peppers are well cooked. Take the temperature of a piece of chicken and taste one piece of pepper.
      9. In the last 5 minutes, add in the tomatoes.
      10. The object is to have the chicken cooked, but not falling apart, the peppers cooked and not too crunchy, and not have the tomatoes turn to mush.
      11. Do a taste test. If the sauce isn't salty enough, add more fish sauce (1 Tbsp. at a time). If it's too sour, add a little more brown sugar. If too spicy, add more coconut milk. If not spicy enough: add a few fresh-cut chilies or dried chili flakes/cayenne pepper.
      12. Sprinkle fresh basil leaves on top. Serve with Jasmine or Basmati rice.