Papadutch?

  • "BISCUIT"
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
      What Model and size pots are you using to cook these turkey's in?
      Do you think a Lodge 14 inch Deep would hold a small turkey?
      I have cooked two chickens in them before.
      Biscuit
    • Byron Bills
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2002
        --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "\"BISCUIT\"" <n5hbb@y...> wrote:
        > What Model and size pots are you using to cook these turkey's in?
        > Do you think a Lodge 14 inch Deep would hold a small turkey?
        > I have cooked two chickens in them before.
        > Biscuit

        I am using Maca deep Dutch ovens to cook my turkeys in. The oven
        pictured in the club photo is 17", the turkey is just over 17 lbs..
        I cooked the herb roasted turkey in a 15" oven. I've cooked a 12 lb.
        turkey in my Lodge deep 14" but I had to break the breast bone to get
        the lid on.

        -Byron
      • dutchovenben
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
          --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "Byron Bills" <papadutch@a...> wrote:
          > --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "\"BISCUIT\"" <n5hbb@y...> wrote:
          > > What Model and size pots are you using to cook these turkey's in?
          > > Do you think a Lodge 14 inch Deep would hold a small turkey?
          > > I have cooked two chickens in them before.
          > > Biscuit
          >
          > I am using Maca deep Dutch ovens to cook my turkeys in. The oven
          > pictured in the club photo is 17", the turkey is just over 17
          lbs..
          > I cooked the herb roasted turkey in a 15" oven. I've cooked a 12
          lb.
          > turkey in my Lodge deep 14" but I had to break the breast bone to
          get
          > the lid on.
          >
          > -Byron

          I cooked a 14 lb bird in my Stansport 14" deep this T-day. I even
          got a small thin trivet under it to keep it off the bottom. It did
          a pretty good job. The Lodge oven being smaller won't take a big
          bird, but anything under 12 lbs should work okay. I've seen a 12 lb
          bird cooked in a 16" oven, too, but the turkey had been split. Not a
          bad way to cook a bird. I gotta get me one of them 17" ovens one of
          these days. I just wish it weren't so darn expensive.