Re: Specifics wanted for baking MC Cornbread

  • Biscuit
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
      Hey Neighbor!
      I never have heard of this mix before? But, when I cook cornbread, I use a very HOT Oven. I cook it around 450.

      In a 12 inch oven put a ring a coals around the bottom, just under the over. Cover your top with coals. About 20. This will make it around 450.

      when using a mix like Jiffy, we use two to three boxes.

      Biscuit

      To give your cornbread that crust on the bottom, pre heat the oven and put a tad of oil in the bottom. This will give you that browm crust.
    • John
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4, 2009
        Vickie,
        A couple things to remember about MC. It doesn't brown on top and when the top just starts cracking, it's usually done! Also, the mix ratio to water is 2:1, in case you want to use partial bags. I buy it in 5# bags.

        I would use 9 coals on bottom, evenly spaced around the outside edge, and a full ring (coals laying flat, touching edge to edge) on top around the outside edge. For a preheated oven, I would figure between 15-20 minutes. I would check at 15. For a 2 bag mix, I would add 5 minutes. I usually cook mine in a skillet in the house oven, but I have used MC in a DO to top dishes with, as you would a tamale pie.

        You can cut 8 nice wedges to eat. How many people that will serve depends on the people.

        HTH,
        John

        yours. I bought the 1 lb bag, and I have a reg. 12in DO. How many coals top/bottom, and about how long does it take for you? How many people does it serve, or do some of you prepare 2 bags?