Re: my 1891 Wagner flat bottom DO

  • Kathy
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
      Bodie,

      Check out this photo. I helped a friend with a flat bottom DO .

      It is the DO on the left with the pie tin on the lid to help hold the
      charcoal. Lid stand was underneath it so you can put charcoal there.

      http://tinyurl.com/a9pj4y

      Come on over and join the Ohiodutchovenenthusiasts We are a new group
      but we are going fast. And as soon as the weather thaws maybe we can
      get some D.O.G.s going.

      bye for now,
      mamabear-kathy

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "bodietruitt"
      <bodietruitt@...> wrote:

      > Hey guys. I really love Wagners 1891 collection. I have some skillets
      > that I use for everyday cooking,(when not in use they double as burner
      > covers). I was introduced to these by my wifes dear late grandmother.
      > Well I found a 5 qt dutch oven on ebay its rusted but not busted. I
      > know how to clean it thats not the promblem. It's a flat bottom no
      > legs what do you guys do / use when you've got a favorite oven that
      > needs to be rasied for air ventaltion? This is only my second oven but
      > it's going to be a favorite.

    • Al
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
        I have four of those lid holders with my cooking stuff. I use them all
        of the time and they keep the lids clean. They can be used as pictured
        or they can be turned over. Your choice.

        Al

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <ov40pirate@...> wrote:

        > Randy mentioned it, but you can use a lid holder to get a flat bottom
        > oven up and put coals under it. Here is one on Amazon. They show it
        > sitting upside down in the picture in my opinion.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/c4z9n2

      • Ronda
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
          My husband has made some lid holders from horse shoes, and they are
          tall enough that we can use them to set no leg dutch ovens on them and
          still get the charcoal underneath to cook with them outside. Ronda

          <bodietruitt@...> wrote:

          > Hey guys. I really love Wagners 1891 collection. I have some skillets
          > that I use for everyday cooking,(when not in use they double as burner
          > covers). I was introduced to these by my wifes dear late grandmother.
          > Well I found a 5 qt dutch oven on ebay its rusted but not busted. I
          > know how to clean it thats not the promblem. It's a flat bottom no
          > legs what do you guys do / use when you've got a favorite oven that
          > needs to be rasied for air ventaltion? This is only my second oven but
          > it's going to be a favorite.

        • Keith Hansen
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 2, 2009
            I have a few of those Lodge lid holders and really like them. They're
            sturdy and they can fold down to not take up a lot of space.

            My first DO was a gift from my well-meaning wife. She knew I was
            interested, saw the words 'Dutch Oven' on a box and bought it for me.
            It's a Lodge 7-qt legless with the domed lid. I bought an aluminum
            oven stand from Chuckwagon Supply that I keep with it all the time.
            It's a little shorter than most, which keeps the DO closer to the
            coals, and when I turn it upside down, it fits inside the little ridge
            on the bottom of my pot just perfectly to help me make sure it's
            centered and stable.

            http://www.chuckwagonsupply.com/catpage3.html

            Keith
          • Jason Jelinek
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 3, 2009
              Kathy,

              I love the "aluminum foil-pan" idea to keep coals on top of a flat
              bottom with a dome lid. I always figured if I bought non-camp ovens
              that I'd have to pony up and buy a replacement lid from Lodge so I'd
              have a flat place to put my coals.

              That's something I love about this group. Lotsa different brains
              think differently.

              :)

              Jason

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy" <mamabear5311@...>
              wrote:

              > Bodie,
              >
              > Check out this photo. I helped a friend with a flat bottom DO .
              >
              > It is the DO on the left with the pie tin on the lid to help hold
              the
              > charcoal. Lid stand was underneath it so you can put charcoal there.
              >
              > http://tinyurl.com/a9pj4y
              >
              > Come on over and join the Ohiodutchovenenthusiasts We are a new
              group
              > but we are going fast. And as soon as the weather thaws maybe we
              can
              > get some D.O.G.s going.
              >
              > bye for now,
              > mamabear-kathy
              >

              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "bodietruitt"
              > <bodietruitt@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hey guys. I really love Wagners 1891 collection. I have some
              skillets
              > > that I use for everyday cooking,(when not in use they double as
              burner
              > > covers). I was introduced to these by my wifes dear late
              grandmother.
              > > Well I found a 5 qt dutch oven on ebay its rusted but not busted.
              > > know how to clean it thats not the promblem. It's a flat bottom no
              > > legs what do you guys do / use when you've got a favorite oven
              that
              > > needs to be rasied for air ventaltion? This is only my second oven
              but
              > > it's going to be a favorite.

            • bodietruitt
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
                <bodietruitt@...> wrote:
                >Well my 1891 do was a bust literly. Or a crack find. Oh man! I crack
                myself up. Opps there I go again. I can keep this up all day. Anyway
                you get the idea. It was cracked. I had to return it.
                > Hey guys. I really love Wagners 1891 collection. I have some skillets
                > that I use for everyday cooking,(when not in use they double as burner
                > covers). I was introduced to these by my wifes dear late grandmother.
                > Well I found a 5 qt dutch oven on ebay its rusted but not busted. I
                > know how to clean it thats not the promblem. It's a flat bottom no
                > legs what do you guys do / use when you've got a favorite oven that
                > needs to be rasied for air ventaltion? This is only my second oven but
                > it's going to be a favorite.

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 7, 2009
                  bodie,
                  I hate to break the news to ya but the wagner's 1891 collection of
                  cast iton has nothing to do with wagner and griswold. it is a total
                  knock off although a nice one. Target and even costco used to sell
                  their outdoor cook kits which included a camp oven and lid, griddle,
                  lid lifter, skllet for $59.00 the wood box they came in were just
                  beautiful and several of us bought the kits just for the box.
                • bodietruitt
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 8, 2009
                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"
                    <norcaldutchovendave@...> wrote:
                    >Wow, thats interesting. I thought they were a collection released by
                    Wagner in 1991 or something. I knew they werent old. Well that dosent
                    bother me too much I still like the way they cook and feel in my
                    hands. They are well made in my opinion. They have nice smooth sides
                    rims and handles. Gosh I hope there American made. Please tell me
                    there American made. Do you know?