Re: Butter Question?

  • Wishbone
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
      From what I understand the Salt in the Butter is a "Preseitive" & makes
      it more shelf stable. We buy Unsalted butter around here for
      everything. Since I'm on restricted to sodium intake. Pound of butter
      lasts the 3 of Us a week or 2. Wishbone-Ks
    • jdhart99
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
        Hi Biscuit,

        I asked that very question when I was taking a class at the local
        culinary school here in Vegas. It was explained to me that unsalted
        butter is used in cooking so that the cook can better control to
        saltiness of the dish that they are cooking. The control the final
        saltiness of the dish by adding salt. Often cooks will use butter in a
        pan sauce so they don't want the salt level effected by adding the
        butter. Ultimately it's about controlling the flavor.

        According to our chef, the vast majority of commercial recipes call for
        unsalted butter.

        Joanne

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@...> wrote:

        > When do you use SALTED butter vs NON SALTED ?
        >
        > I always buy the Non Salted kind.
        >
        > Biscuit

      • Biscuit
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 1, 2009
          Thanks Joanne. I have been meaning to write Paula Dean on this, but
          have not got around to it. We watch FOOD TV a lot. Most Chefs, aka
          Emeril and others uses a lot of salt. Emeril had his mother on one
          time and fussed at him about too much salt.

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "jdhart99" <jdhart999@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Biscuit,
          >
          > I asked that very question when I was taking a class at the local
          > culinary school here in Vegas. It was explained to me that unsalted
          > butter is used in cooking so that the cook can better control to
          > saltiness of the dish that they are cooking. The control the final
          > saltiness of the dish by adding salt. Often cooks will use butter
          in a
          > pan sauce so they don't want the salt level effected by adding the
          > butter. Ultimately it's about controlling the flavor.
          >
          > According to our chef, the vast majority of commercial recipes call
          for
          > unsalted butter.
          >
          > Joanne
          >

          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit" <n5hbb@> wrote:
          > >
          > > When do you use SALTED butter vs NON SALTED ?
          > >
          > > I always buy the Non Salted kind.
          > >
          > > Biscuit

        • Mike
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 2, 2009
            Hello Biscuit,

            After watching the Cee Dub demo at this last years' Lincoln County
            Cowboy Symposium, make butter while cooking his seasoned Rhodes Rolls
            with Fant S., my brother and I bought a 1 qt churn on ebay. The
            thought of making a flavored butter hit home and we have made several
            variations since then. Chipotle butter, garlic butter, Italian butter
            and some that weren't hits, but it is relatively easy to do, if you
            know the tricks. Got to be room temp, not over filled, etc..
            I made some of the Chipotle Garlic combo Friday evening to use on some
            mashed potatoes. I used some sea salt in it and prefer salted butter
            for the flavored butter, but have made it w/o butter and it still is
            good.

            Mike