Re: [dutchovencooking] 6", 12" ? - was new guy here..

  • Steven W Lovett
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
      On the Lodge website, I found the following which may be an answer to the question.

      6" is 1 quart
      8" is 2 quarts
      10" is 4 quarts
      12" is 6 quarts
      12" deep is 8 quarts
      14" is 8 quarts
      14" deep is 10 quarts
      16" is 12 quarts

      From: Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@yahoo. com>
      To: dutchovencooking@ yahoogroups. com
      Date: Saturday, January 3, 2009, 6:51 AM

      It is a dutch oven measured by diamater across the lid.

      Date: Friday, January 2, 2009, 11:42 PM

      At 1/2/2009 01:18 PM,Alan Henriksen wrote:

      >I recieved the Lodge 6" for Christmas(I had hinted and hoped!LOL)

      >and am anxious to

      >try it out. Have been cooking in a 12" for about 10 years now

      I just went to the group files to see what a 6 inch or 12 inch DO is,

      they are listed by quarts. What's a 6" DO?

      Rob

      becida@comcast. net

      ..

    • Rob
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
        I went to the group FAQ figuring that I could find something on how
        the sizing worked because people were referring to 6 inch and 10
        inch, the FAQ only talked about size in quarts.
        Thanks for the listing of sizes and I'll go find the Lodge website.

        Rob
        becida@...

        At 1/3/2009 08:28 AM,Steven W Lovett wrote:
        >On the Lodge website, I found the following which may be an answer
        >to the question.
        >
        >6" is 1 quart
        >8" is 2 quarts
        >10" is 4 quarts
        >12" is 6 quarts
        >12" deep is 8 quarts
        >14" is 8 quarts
        >14" deep is 10 quarts
        >16" is 12 quarts

      • Ronda
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
          Rob - inside the FAQ folder is a file titled Lodge camp oven model
          numbers or something similar. It lists model #, quarts, dimensions
          and weight. The 6" info is probably not included however as it's a
          newer model. HTH! Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Rob <becida@...> wrote:

          > I went to the group FAQ figuring that I could find something on how
          > the sizing worked because people were referring to 6 inch and 10
          > inch, the FAQ only talked about size in quarts.
          > Thanks for the listing of sizes and I'll go find the Lodge website.
          >
          > Rob
          > becida@...
          >
          > At 1/3/2009 08:28 AM,Steven W Lovett wrote:
          > >On the Lodge website, I found the following which may be an answer
          > >to the question.
          > >
          > >6" is 1 quart
          > >8" is 2 quarts
          > >10" is 4 quarts
          > >12" is 6 quarts
          > >12" deep is 8 quarts
          > >14" is 8 quarts
          > >14" deep is 10 quarts
          > >16" is 12 quarts

        • Rob
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
            That's where I went, no mention of a 6". Everything was referenced in
            quarts. This list helps.

            Rob

            At 1/3/2009 10:35 AM,Ronda wrote:
            >Rob - inside the FAQ folder is a file titled Lodge camp oven model
            >numbers or something similar. It lists model #, quarts, dimensions
            >and weight. The 6" info is probably not included however as it's a
            >newer model. HTH! Ronda
            >
            >--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Rob <becida@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I went to the group FAQ figuring that I could find something on how
            > > the sizing worked because people were referring to 6 inch and 10
            > > inch, the FAQ only talked about size in quarts.
            > > Thanks for the listing of sizes and I'll go find the Lodge website.
            > >
            > > Rob
            > > becida@...
            > >
            > > At 1/3/2009 08:28 AM,Steven W Lovett wrote:
            > > >On the Lodge website, I found the following which may be an answer
            > > >to the question.
            > > >
            > > >6" is 1 quart
            > > >8" is 2 quarts
            > > >10" is 4 quarts
            > > >12" is 6 quarts
            > > >12" deep is 8 quarts
            > > >14" is 8 quarts
            > > >14" deep is 10 quarts
            > > >16" is 12 quarts

          • fantsteele
            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 3, 2009
              I updated the FAQ file to include the 6" and the 5" Lodge. The file
              does not include weights.
              Fant

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Rob <becida@...> wrote:

              > That's where I went, no mention of a 6". Everything was referenced in
              > quarts. This list helps.
              >
              > Rob
              >
              > At 1/3/2009 10:35 AM,Ronda wrote:
              > >Rob - inside the FAQ folder is a file titled Lodge camp oven model
              > >numbers or something similar. It lists model #, quarts, dimensions
              > >and weight. The 6" info is probably not included however as it's a
              > >newer model. HTH! Ronda
              > >
              > >--- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Rob <becida@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I went to the group FAQ figuring that I could find something on how
              > > > the sizing worked because people were referring to 6 inch and 10
              > > > inch, the FAQ only talked about size in quarts.
              > > > Thanks for the listing of sizes and I'll go find the Lodge website.
              > > >
              > > > Rob
              > > > becida@

            • Alan Henriksen
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                Ronda..thanks for the welcome! No, I haven't checked into the Iowa
                group yet. With limited time and money not sure how much
                participation I'd be able to do..Alan

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ronda" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                > Welcome Alan! Glad to have you as a part of this group. Are you
                > familiar with the Iowa cooking group? Ronda
              • Alan Henriksen
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Rob...am sorry for the confusion. The dutch oven cooking I learned to
                  do was from Lodge when I bought my oven. They go by inches in
                  diameter instead of quarts, and guess i picked it up from them.
                  Future postings will be in quarts..Alan

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Rob <becida@...> wrote:

                  > I went to the group FAQ figuring that I could find something on how
                  > the sizing worked because people were referring to 6 inch and 10
                  > inch, the FAQ only talked about size in quarts.
                  > Thanks for the listing of sizes and I'll go find the Lodge website.
                  >
                  > Rob
                  > becida@...
                • brad_g8
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                    No need to worry. I usually use inches instead of quarts. I think the
                    cofusion was over the 6 inch. It's only been out a year or so. Since
                    a 12 inch is 6 quarts, and the 6 inch is so new, confusion is natural.
                    Besides, it all got straightened out in the end.

                    it really gets confusing when you are talking non-Lodge ovens though.
                    Each brand has their own way of telling you what size the oven is.

                    Maca is a prime example. Their ovens tend to be LARGE and sometimes
                    different shapes. They make one that's a 12 by 16 inch oval. 9 inches
                    deep and 20 quarts. I don't think any other manufacturer has an
                    equivelant. If not mistaken I saw a guy doing a small turkey in that
                    one a few years ago.

                    I think the TexSports, Harbor Freight, and other Chinese generic ovens
                    are something like a 12 inch is 9 quarts where the Lodge 12 inch deep
                    is 8 quarts.

                    CampChef is different again, and they've changed their measuring over
                    the years. I have an older one that is called a 14 inch oven, even
                    though it's only 12 inches across the top. It's more like a super 12
                    inch deep. CampChef new ovens use different measurements that are
                    closer to Lodge.

                    I think all these things combined caused the confusion, not you. We
                    are all friends here, so don't worry about things like this. We work
                    them all out eventually! Good to have more members aboard!

                    Brad G

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Henriksen"
                    <iowaboy546@...> wrote:

                    > Rob...am sorry for the confusion. The dutch oven cooking I learned to
                    > do was from Lodge when I bought my oven. They go by inches in
                    > diameter instead of quarts, and guess i picked it up from them.
                    > Future postings will be in quarts..Alan
                    >
                    > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Rob <becida@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I went to the group FAQ figuring that I could find something on how
                    > > the sizing worked because people were referring to 6 inch and 10
                    > > inch, the FAQ only talked about size in quarts.
                    > > Thanks for the listing of sizes and I'll go find the Lodge website.
                    > >
                    > > Rob
                    > > becida@

                  • Ronda
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                      I usually use inches also. A 10" deep and a 12" regular are both 6
                      quarts, and while that wouldn't make a difference with some recipes, it
                      might in others. It can get confusing alright. :^) Ronda

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jan 4, 2009
                        never have considered buying anything but Lodge...unless it's Wagner
                        or Griswold which I collect. Had studied a little before I bought my
                        oven and seemed that a lot of people thought it the best.

                      • Georgia Carr
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jan 5, 2009
                          Hello Alan,
                          On behalf of the Iowa Prairie Rose Dutch Oven Society I'd like to
                          invite you to check out our yahoo group site at iowadutchovencooking.
                          We have cooks from all over the state and we get together numerous
                          times each year for gatherings, cook-offs, etc. We are currently
                          planning our 2009 year. Check out our photos, files, and databases to
                          see what other dutch oven cooks in Iowa are up to.
                          There is also another Dutch Oven Chapter in Omaha that covers SW
                          Iowa. It is led by Wayne Lorenzen and they also have a yahoo group
                          site called "MWDOD".
                          We hope to cook with you sometime in 2009. Contact me if you have
                          any questions.
                          Georgia dgcarr@...

                          <iowaboy546@...> wrote:

                          > hey everyone..just wanted to say "HI" and introduce myself. My name
                          is
                          > Alan, in west central Iowa, and joined a couple weeks ago. Had ment
                          > write earlier, but got sidetracked with the holidays.I recieved the
                          > Lodge 6" for Christmas(I had hinted and hoped!LOL) and am anxious to
                          > try it out. Have been cooking in a 12" for about 10 years now(self
                          > taught)and have had really good luck, but there are times it was just
                          > to big. I can't wait to try some of the recipies, as soon as I decide
                          > which one. They all sound good! LOL

                        • Alan Henriksen
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jan 8, 2009
                            Georgia, thanks for the invite! Had looked at the IDOS website and
                            knew there was a iowa group. Problem is that most of the year I am
                            busy working(farming) and just don't have the time. I don't feel it
                            is right joining a group if i can't be an active and participating
                            member. Would be fun!!!!

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Georgia Carr" <dgcarr@...>