Elk camp success

  • dutchovenben
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
      Howdy all,

      Well, I was at our Elk camp last week up near Ellensburg WA and I got
      one this year. Actually, I took the first shot of opening day on the
      herd. I dropped a spike bull that is hanging in the locker at 210
      lbs (just a little one). That's all we're allowed to hunt up here
      for general season, and that's fine. He'll be good eating.

      Getting my elk right away was a real blessing. I am the camp cook,
      and I was hoping to get an early shot so I could concentrate on camp
      chores more. Here's the run down of the food I cooked for the 6 days
      I was up there. As usual, I cooked about twice as much of everything
      as was needed, and attracted a lot of wandering hunters to camp to
      sample some of my cuisine.

      Friday Nite
      Dutch Oven lasagne
      Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

      Saturday Morning
      Huckleberry Pancakes
      Bacon
      Coffee

      Saturday Nite
      Broiled Tri-Tip (I brought a portable grill with me)
      Baked Potatoes
      Corn on the Cob

      Sunday Morning
      Biscuits with Sausage Gravy
      Eggs to order, cooked in a 10" DO lid
      Coffee

      Sunday Nite
      Tacos with all the fixins

      Monday Morning
      Omlettes made to order
      Mushrooms
      Ham
      Taco meat
      Cheese
      Onions
      Bell Peppers
      Salsa
      Coffee

      Monday Nite
      Stuffed Cornish Game Hens
      Fresh Green beans with Bacon and Onion

      Tuesday Morning
      Skillet Potatoes
      Pan Seared Sirloin Steaks
      Crescent Rolls
      Coffee

      Tuesday Nite
      Cajun Country Style Boneless Pork ribs
      Rice Blend
      Stir Fried Bell Peppers, Broccoli, and Onions

      Wednesday Morning
      Egg, Cheese, Ham & Biscuit sandwiches

      The rest of the group stayed in camp the remainder of the week. By
      the time I left, they were begging for mercy. They sure ate well,
      which was good, because Monday nite a cold front blew in, and we just
      about froze our tukas off. I much prefer cooking in 40 to 50 degree
      weather than when it's below 10 degrees and snowing and windy. But
      at least we kept cooking the goodies for them. Muzzleloader deer
      season opens again on Nov 20th here. That's a lot easier than elk
      camp, and I'll have my 13 year old daughter with me, this being her
      first hunt. At least we'll have some game to put on the table for
      Thanksgiving this year.
    • Jeff Currier
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 5, 2002
        Your comment "As usual, I cooked about twice as much
        of everything as was needed, and attracted a lot of
        wandering hunters to camp to sample some of my
        cuisine". This is such a true statement. My wife and I
        have met alot of wonderful people while camping. When
        you lift the lid on a nice "prime rib" or even an
        "enchilada stack" while camping next to people eating
        hotdogs on a stick, you can make friends fast. That is
        what D.O. cooking is all about.

        Goog Luck & Good Cookin. JeffC

        HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
        http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/