Chart

  • mzdaville
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 29, 2002
      Hi Everyone,

      I think that this type of chart is to be used as a quess-timate.
      Give or take where needed. IMHO Lodge is talking to the beginner D.O.
      cook. Giving a basic idea of temperature and amount of charcoals.

      As for serving amounts again very general.
      I have a friend that could finish off the contents of a 12" without
      blinking. My Girl Scout Troop would have left overs.

      If you have trouble remembering write down what happens when using
      certain amounts of charcoal with the different recipes and what
      worked and what didn't.

      But most important just have fun and practice.

      MzD
      ps PumpDoc thanks for your help posting the chart.
    • AllenJ.
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 30, 2002
        Hello MzD, You hit the nail on the head about the chart in both
        respects of heat and the quantity of people feed. BTW, what program
        did you use to make the first post of the file? You are welcome for
        the posting I was able to do. Your first effort was still the best.
        I wish I had saved it as a file.

        DO cooking does take practice and mistakes will be made. But heck,
        we have to keep the eraser people in business!! I carry a small pad
        in my shirt pocket to note changes I make in a recipe, or the way I
        set up to cook(coal count , and wind conditions) especially if I
        intend to post the recipe. I have only had one total mess in DO
        cooking. That was cooking a loaf of bread I didn't watch close
        enough. The wind was blowing when I started it, but it died down and
        the DO got very hot. It made a great piece of lava rock for the rock
        collection. DO cooking requires attention to all conditions about
        you including the coals, ash build-up, wind, and ambient air temp.

        You have to develop a comfort level you that will allow you to try
        more complex recipes. Like you said, that takes practice and doing
        the different methods to see what is best for you.

        I got into this cooking for fun and to learn new things about
        cooking. But I tend to be a perfectionist at what ever I do ( That
        IS NOT a good trait to have. ). I keep a sign on my office wall that
        states: "DON'T WORRY ABOUT BEING PERFECT ..... JUST STRIVE FOR
        SUCCESS". That is hard to do at times. Having fun with the skills
        acquired should be the goal. We made sourdough coffee cakes for
        Christmas gifts last year and had more fun and pleasure from that
        than you could believe. We have request for the same. It is giving
        of yourself that brings the rewards of friendship.

        Regards,

        AllenJ. --- Pump Doc :{

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2002
          Hi PumpDoc,

          I also got interested in DO Cooking during a Camping Demo when I had
          a GS Troop. I no longer am in scouting but the DO cooking has last
          twenty-seven years. I have five DOs now (and always looking for just
          one more). I also carry a small tablet for joting down notes. I need
          to do this do to those senior moments that are happening more and
          more lately.<g>

          I think LIFE is all practice and we practice not doing the mistakes
          over and over.

          Most of my problem with DO cooking are in the bread and biscuits.
          Half the time I make hockey pucks!LOL I will practice, practice,
          practice until I get it right.

          Have a great weekend. MzD

          BTW I used MS Office 2000 the first time I posted the chart.
          I received a few E-mails that the file wouldn't open so that is
          why I changes it. I can E-mail it to you if you like.