Re: [dutchovencooking] Re: Horizon Hospice Benefit was a success!

  • William and Charlee
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 31, 2008
      Don't misunderstand, I'd have been one that put 40 or 50 in the pot....Hospice is an awesome service.
      But stop and think....if you have one dollar, and you see a meal offered for an unspecified donation,  logically thinking, where are you going to get more bang for your buck?  The donation meal or the grocery store?
      I also don't carry a lot of cash....so if I didn't see a Visa/Mastercard method of payment, if it was a spur of the moment, I wouldn't have eaten either...

      Message 2 of 11 , Sep 1 5:33 AM
        Mark 12:41-44 NIV
        Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and watched the crowd
        putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people threw in large amounts.
        But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth only a fraction of a
        penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, this poor widow has put
        more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of their wealth; but she, out of
        her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on.

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M. Ask" <herbswork1@...> wrote:

        > --- On Wed, 8/27/08, Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:
        >
        > > From: Ronda <rlb_51@...>
        > One
        > > guy walked up
        > > and the gal standing at the donation can said most folks
        > > are putting
        > > in $5 - this guys had a dollar in his hand. The gal said
        > > are you
        > > really gonna just put in a dollar? Of course everyone in
        > > line behind
        > > him heard that. He got pissed and left. Who cares? Ronda
        > >

        > That might have been the last dollar he had
        > and the event was offered "donations"
        >
        > Richard

      • Biscuit T. Sims
        Message 3 of 11 , Sep 1 6:28 AM
          AMEN!

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Perkins" <l599336@...>
          wrote:

          > Mark 12:41-44 NIV
          > Jesus sat down opposite the place where the offerings were put and
          watched the crowd
          > putting their money into the temple treasury. Many rich people
          threw in large amounts.
          > But a poor widow came and put in two very small copper coins, worth
          only a fraction of a
          > penny. Calling his disciples to him, Jesus said, "I tell you the
          truth, this poor widow has put
          > more into the treasury than all the others. They all gave out of
          their wealth; but she, out of
          > her poverty, put in everything--all she had to live on.
          >
          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Richard M. Ask"
          <herbswork1@> wrote:

          > > --- On Wed, 8/27/08, Ronda <rlb_51@> wrote:
          > >
          > > > From: Ronda <rlb_51@>
          > > One
          > > > guy walked up
          > > > and the gal standing at the donation can said most folks
          > > > are putting
          > > > in $5 - this guys had a dollar in his hand. The gal said
          > > > are you
          > > > really gonna just put in a dollar? Of course everyone in
          > > > line behind
          > > > him heard that. He got pissed and left. Who cares? Ronda
          > > >

          > > That might have been the last dollar he had
          > > and the event was offered "donations"
          > >
          > > Richard

        • Mark & Kathy
          Message 4 of 11 , Sep 1 7:38 AM
            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Biscuit T. Sims"
            <n5hbb@...> wrote:

            > AMEN!

            Of course we were not there this year for the Hospice Benifit
            shindig but we were their last year and helped out by cooking and
            cleaning up afterwards. We had a great time. This event is held
            several miles out of town in a park with a lake in it and the people
            that go out there surley know what they are going to and why. It's
            not like a poor homeless person just drops in off the street because
            he smells food cooking. From the type of folks we saw there and the
            way they were dressed and the type of vehicles they drove and the way
            they spoke and acted any one of them could have afforded to put in
            much more than 5 bucks for the type of meal that was served. This
            place is a park where one goes to have fun, not a church. If the guy
            had lost his job and only had a doller to his name, it had to cost
            him more than a doller just to drive his pickup truck or Lexus out to
            the park. If the guy had spent all day out there and spent all his
            cash for other things for the Benefit he should have been smart
            enough to explain that to the lady and to the other folks in line. If
            he had done that then someone else would have been glad to throw in a
            few more dollars in the pot for him. The fact that he got mad and
            walked out indicates that he got caught trying to get away with
            almost not paying. Of course this is just my humble opinion of what
            I do know of that situation.

            Mark Guidry
          • Richard M. Ask
            Message 5 of 11 , Sep 1 7:51 PM
              > > he had done that then someone else would have been
              > glad to throw
              > in a
              > > few more dollars in the pot for him. The fact that he
              > got mad and
              > > walked out indicates that he got caught trying to get
              > away with
              > > almost not paying. Of course this is just my humble
              > opinion of
              > what
              > > I do know of that situation.

              and I was not there
              I am a disabled VN veeteran
              ( 100% service connected )
              I help with a lot of fund raisers
              and have over the years

              my guess would be that he got angry from embarressment

              I know lots of folks
              including me
              that have a nice ride
              but a cieling on my income
              and with the cost of gas
              my ability to spend has been greatly reduced

              Richard

              PS: Every fund raiser I support/help with
              has a "no one will be turned away"

              yup
              we gat screwed occasionally
              but IMHO better to error on the side of