Re: new to group

  • Fran L-G
    Message 1 of 51 , Aug 1, 2008
      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "smd482000" <smd482000@...>
      wrote:

      > I lost my D.o. cook books in a move so trying to pick some tips

      If you're looking for some great free cookbooks that you can download,
      check out the Macscouter website --

      http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking

      In particular, I like "The Dutch Oven Cookbook" by Mike Audleman &
      John Lyver, and "The Geezer Cookbook" by Dwayne Pritchett. The Dutch
      Oven Cookbook gives some good tips along with plentiful recipes while
      The Geezer Cookbook has recipes that I find interesting using Coca-cola.

      Next, I always like to recommend Cindy's handy little flip cookbook,
      very portable to stash it in your gear, called "Campfire Cooking with
      Black Pot Demo's" --

      http://tinyurl.com/2ahu2q

      Fran L-G
      Cleveland OH
    • Wally Dennis
      Message 51 of 51 , Sep 28, 2013
        I use vinegar in my dutch ovens ally the time.  Especially to clean them.  I have a spray bottle of 1part vinegar 3 parts water that's all I use to clean my ovens with plus paper towels and Champ Chef scrappers.  Put ovens back on heat to dry out good.

        From: Jean Reeves <jumpinginjello@...>; To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>; Subject: Re: [dutchovencooking] RE: RE: RE: new to group Sent: Fri, Sep 27, 2013 2:09:31 PM

        Thanks so much for the good suggestions. I am a by-the-book cook until I am familiar with a recipe or method and I am also a visual learner so I really like cookbooks. We recently had an Emergency Prep Fair and it really made me excited to learn how to cook with a dutch oven. I have made artisan bread and stew and a few other things but nothing really to talk about.

        Do any of you have a "bean hole"? Is it similar to pit cooking? I have used a pit to cook a turkey and then cooked leftovers the next day in a DO in the pit because the pit was still hot enough to cook food. Best tasting leftovers ever! Of course we might have been especially hungry!

        Can you cook things containing tomatoes in a DO? What about vinegar?

        Thanks so much.
        Jean