Christina's Flank Steak

  • K. Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 3, 2008
      Christina,

      This is not flank steak, but it might be similar to the recipe you
      were asking about today.

      Ken

      Royer Cafe's Great Steak
      4 10-oz. center-cut beef tenderloins, trimmed of fat
      2 onions, sliced
      1 recipe grilling rub
      1 recipe grilling sauce
      Grilling rub:
      10 Tbsp. coarsely ground black pepper
      10 Tbsp. lemon pepper (Lawry's recommended)
      5 Tbsp. garlic powder
      Combine ingredients together and store in an airtight container.
      Yields plenty for four steaks or pork tenderloins.
      Grilling sauce:
      1 cube chicken bouillon
      1 Tbsp. hot water
      1 lb. unsalted butter, softened
      2 tsp. dry dill flakes
      1 tsp. chopped garlic
      1/4 cup minced onions
      Crush bouillon cube in a bowl, add the hot water and dissolve bouillon
      in water. Heat mixture in microwave on high for one minute. Combine
      mixture with butter and add remaining ingredients. When ready to use,
      heat grilling sauce in the microwave on high for 1 minute or until
      melted. Refrigerate leftover sauce in a covered container. Yields 2 cups.
      To prepare the steak: Pour 1/2 cup grilling rub on a large plate. Roll
      steaks in rub, completely covering each with a thick coating. Heat
      griddle or skillet on medium-high. Pour 2 Tbsp. of grilling sauce for
      each steak in separate areas on the cooking surface. Place each steak,
      with tongs, in a pool of the sauce and spoon a tablespoon of sauce
      over each. (Royer's key concept: The steak is cooking in the hot
      sauce, not directly on the heated surface. That is why a grill with
      grates will not work; the sauce will fall on the coals below.)
      Cook steaks for 3 to 4 minutes on the first side or until crusty. Flip
      steaks and add two more tablespoons sauce on the surface and one
      tablespoon over the steak. Cook 2-3 minutes until that side is crusty.
      Repeat on all sides of steaks until they are each crusty. After
      cooking all sides, you can cut into the middle of the steak to check
      if it is ready. When done, set aside. Cook onions on the griddle or in
      the skillet for 2 minutes in the sauce. Place onions over the steaks,
      top with additional sauce and serve. Yields 4 servings.
      Note: Pork tenderloins can be prepared in the same fashion, using the
      rub and grill sauce, and then finishing with a glaze of melted
      peach-pepper jelly.
      Bud Royer's advice: Don't cook the steak past medium; it is best
      medium-rare. We cook this steak only on a flat-top griddle or in a
      cast-iron skillet so it will be coated with a crust of spices when it
      is finished.
    • christina_a_dillon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2008
        FOUND THE RECIPE!!! Then I remembered that I modified one for a pot
        roast. It all came back to me... so, I'm sharing it with you.

        Goes great with DO potatoes au gratin! (if you need that recipe, let
        me know!)

        CHRISTINA'S FLANK STEAK

        2.5 to 3 lbs Flank steak
        1 tsp. thyme
        1/2 tsp. rosemary
        1 Tb. Worcestershire sauce
        sliced garlic-- few cloves
        1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
        1 c. red wine
        1/4 c. dijon mustard
        1/2 c. olive oil plus 2Tbs.
        heavy pinch of sea salt

        Slash the flank steak against the grain and insert slices of garlic.
        Do the same on the second side.

        Put the rest of the ingredients (except for the 2 Tb. of olive oil)
        in a large zip top bag, if it'll fit. Mix well, and add the flank
        steak. Let marinade overnight at least. I prefer a day or two.

        Take the steak out of the bags and reserve marinade. Grill to
        perfection... your perfection.

        Put the marinade in a saucepan, and whisk in the 2 Tbs. of remaining
        olive oil. Bring to boil and boil rapidly for 3 minutes. Simmer
        rapidly for another 8 minutes, minimum.

        Slice the steak against the grain, and pour the sauce over the steak.
        Enjoy!
      • jasonjelinek
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2008
          Christina,

          I don't know the recipe you are/were looking for but the site
          http://www.recipesource.com tends to have lots of recipes exported
          from Master Cook.

          Here's a link to just one of several that came up in a search.

          http://www.recipesource.com/main-dishes/meat/beef/marinated-flank-
          steak2.html

          Jason

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "christina_a_dillon"
          <christina_a_dillon@...> wrote:

          > FOUND THE RECIPE!!! Then I remembered that I modified one for a pot
          > roast. It all came back to me... so, I'm sharing it with you.
          >
          > Goes great with DO potatoes au gratin! (if you need that recipe,
          let
          > me know!)
          >
          > CHRISTINA'S FLANK STEAK
          <SNIP>