Timing Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast

  • Hotmail K2outside
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2008
      I'd love to make cinnamon rolls while on an upcoming camping trip. Looking
      at the recipes I find, it looks like I'm in for two hours from the time my
      feet hit the ground until we're eating hot rolls. That includes mixing,
      kneading, rising, rolling out, filling, rolling up, slicing, placing, rising
      and baking. So, I'm either getting up two hours before my camping partners
      or we're eating two hours after we all get up. Or, I guess I could get up
      one hour before them and we eat one hour after they all get up. I'm not
      crazy about getting up much earlier. My baby hasn't been sleeping through
      the night well recently, so sleep is precious! Another option would be to
      make them the night before, but, then, they're not fresh in the morning and
      I run the risk of them sweating in the DO, getting soggy. But, are
      10-hour-old rolls just fine if stored properly (under a towel?)? I have
      seen that some folks do everything to the last rise the night before, then
      chill 'em overnight. I will have some limited refrigeration. For space,
      it'd probably make sense for me to stop before cutting them, so I'd just
      store the log. What do ya'll do?

      Right now, I'm considering using the recipe for "Best Ever Cinnamon Rolls"
      from _The_Dutch_Oven_Resource_. The picture sure looks yummy.

      -kathleen
    • Dean&Ruth Patterson
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
        I have used caned cinnamon rolls many times if takes about 40 minutes
        to bake them 8 rolls in a can 5 cans in a 12 inch and I have not had
        any left over. I know they are not home made but I did not have to
        get up 2 hr before everyone else. Try them you mite get lazy like me.
        Dean

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Hotmail K2outside"
        <k2outside@...> wrote:

        > I'd love to make cinnamon rolls while on an upcoming camping trip.
        Looking
        > at the recipes I find, it looks like I'm in for two hours from the
        time my
        > feet hit the ground until we're eating hot rolls. That includes
        mixing,
        > kneading, rising, rolling out, filling, rolling up, slicing,
        placing, rising
        > and baking. So, I'm either getting up two hours before my camping
        partners
        > or we're eating two hours after we all get up. Or, I guess I could
        get up
        > one hour before them and we eat one hour after they all get up.
        I'm not
        > crazy about getting up much earlier. My baby hasn't been sleeping
        through
        > the night well recently, so sleep is precious! Another option
        would be to
        > make them the night before, but, then, they're not fresh in the
        morning and
        > I run the risk of them sweating in the DO, getting soggy. But, are
        > 10-hour-old rolls just fine if stored properly (under a towel?)? I
        have
        > seen that some folks do everything to the last rise the night
        before, then
        > chill 'em overnight. I will have some limited refrigeration. For
        space,
        > it'd probably make sense for me to stop before cutting them, so I'd
        just
        > store the log. What do ya'll do?
        >
        > Right now, I'm considering using the recipe for "Best Ever Cinnamon
        Rolls"
        > from _The_Dutch_Oven_Resource_. The picture sure looks yummy.
        >
        > -kathleen

      • joe parajecki
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
          Whether I am making Cinnamon Rolls at home or on the trail I do like
          we did in the Bakery!

          We mixed and shaped them before we went home the day before (before I
          go to bed).

          In a Bakery we have a special piece of equipment called a retarder,
          basically a special refridgerator that allows yeast doughs to rise
          slowly. A cooler will work just fine

          You cannnot leave it as a log because when you cut them you will
          deflate the rise that has already happened.

          The night before at camp I mix the dough, shape and cut them. I then
          put them in foil pie pans and wrap them real loose with plactic wrap
          sprayed with Pam. In the morning I am up about a half hour before
          everyone else and in that time I preheat the DO's and temper the
          rolls. Tempering means you allow them to loose the chill they got the
          night before, just take them out of the cooler and unwrap them. Put a
          towel over them so the bugs don't get at them and let them sit for
          the 30min.

          Then I bake them and they will be done just as everyone is having
          thier first cup of coffee.

          Joe

          P.S I usually make these towards the last day of camp so I know I
          have plenty of cooler space for them to rise overnight.

        • k2outside
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
            Now, that's a lovely idea. I'm trying to infect my camping partners
            with castironitis. They even own a combo cooker. If I can show them
            how easily they can make fresh cinnamon rolls in it, it might spark
            the fire! If I made them from scratch, it might seem more unattainable.

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dean&Ruth Patterson"
            <d.k.patterson@...> wrote:

            > I have used caned cinnamon rolls many times if takes about 40 minutes
            > to bake them 8 rolls in a can 5 cans in a 12 inch and I have not had
            > any left over. I know they are not home made but I did not have to
            > get up 2 hr before everyone else. Try them you mite get lazy like me.
            > Dean
            >

            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Hotmail K2outside"
            > <k2outside@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I'd love to make cinnamon rolls while on an upcoming camping trip.
            > Looking
            > > at the recipes I find, it looks like I'm in for two hours from the
            > time my
            > > feet hit the ground until we're eating hot rolls. That includes
            > mixing,
            > > kneading, rising, rolling out, filling, rolling up, slicing,
            > placing, rising
            > > and baking. So, I'm either getting up two hours before my camping
            > partners
            > > or we're eating two hours after we all get up. Or, I guess I could
            > get up
            > > one hour before them and we eat one hour after they all get up.
            > I'm not
            > > crazy about getting up much earlier. My baby hasn't been sleeping
            > through
            > > the night well recently, so sleep is precious! Another option
            > would be to
            > > make them the night before, but, then, they're not fresh in the
            > morning and
            > > I run the risk of them sweating in the DO, getting soggy. But, are
            > > 10-hour-old rolls just fine if stored properly (under a towel?)? I
            > have
            > > seen that some folks do everything to the last rise the night
            > before, then
            > > chill 'em overnight. I will have some limited refrigeration. For
            > space,
            > > it'd probably make sense for me to stop before cutting them, so I'd
            > just
            > > store the log. What do ya'll do?
            > >
            > > Right now, I'm considering using the recipe for "Best Ever Cinnamon
            > Rolls"
            > > from _The_Dutch_Oven_Resource_. The picture sure looks yummy.
            > >
            > > -kathleen

          • Wishbone
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
              Rhodes Frozen Cinnamon Rolls work real well too.
              http://www.rhodesbread.com/ Wishbone-ks
            • samandheidi@wildblue.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                The way I make cinnamon rolls, is I use the Bridgeford Frozen rolls of
                dough. You could use them, let them thaw out the day before you want to
                use them. Slather them with butter cover with saran wrap over night in a
                warm spot to rise, roll them out the next morning put your stuff on it,
                roll em, and let rise by the campfire for an hour. And bake. Or get them
                all ready the night ahead and let the rolls rise overnight bake the next
                morning. You just gotta have them in a warm spot, 80 degrees or better.
                Heidi

                <d.k.patterson@...> wrote:

                > I have used caned cinnamon rolls many times if takes about 40 minutes
                > to bake them 8 rolls in a can 5 cans in a 12 inch and I have not had
                > any left over. I know they are not home made but I did not have to
                > get up 2 hr before everyone else. Try them you mite get lazy like me.
                > Dean
                >

                > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Hotmail K2outside"
                > <k2outside@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I'd love to make cinnamon rolls while on an upcoming camping trip.
                > Looking
                > > at the recipes I find, it looks like I'm in for two hours from the
                > time my
                > > feet hit the ground until we're eating hot rolls. That includes
                > mixing,
                > > kneading, rising, rolling out, filling, rolling up, slicing,
                > placing, rising
                > > and baking. So, I'm either getting up two hours before my camping
                > partners
                > > or we're eating two hours after we all get up. Or, I guess I could
                > get up
                > > one hour before them and we eat one hour after they all get up.
                > I'm not
                > > crazy about getting up much earlier. My baby hasn't been sleeping
                > through
                > > the night well recently, so sleep is precious! Another option
                > would be to
                > > make them the night before, but, then, they're not fresh in the
                > morning and
                > > I run the risk of them sweating in the DO, getting soggy. But, are
                > > 10-hour-old rolls just fine if stored properly (under a towel?)? I
                > have
                > > seen that some folks do everything to the last rise the night
                > before, then
                > > chill 'em overnight. I will have some limited refrigeration. For
                > space,
                > > it'd probably make sense for me to stop before cutting them, so I'd
                > just
                > > store the log. What do ya'll do?
                > >
                > > Right now, I'm considering using the recipe for "Best Ever Cinnamon
                > Rolls"
                > > from _The_Dutch_Oven_Resource_. The picture sure looks yummy.
                > >
                > > -kathleen

              • Jim Peterson
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 1, 2008
                  Now you've got me Jonesing for cinnamon rolls. Has anyone ever tried making a gigantic cinnamon roll. I was thinking I'd make one huge roll in a 14 or 16 inch oven and serve like a coffee cake.

                  Jim

                • Wayne Hessel
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
                    I do it all the time I have a scratch cinnamon bun recipe and instead of
                    rolling it out and cutting I mix ¾ of the topping in with the dough and ¼
                    spread over the top and bake. My recipe fits a 10 perfectly but you could
                    double it and put it in a larger oven. So much easier than trying to roll
                    it out.

                    Wayne

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 2, 2008
                      Hey Wayne,
                      Good to see you posting again. How ya doing after the surgery? Careful with those "low carb" buns!

                      Leon Perkins

                      Western New York Dutch Oven Society

                      > I do it all the time I have a scratch cinnamon bun recipe
                      > and instead of
                      > rolling it out and cutting I mix ¾ of the topping in with
                      > the dough and ¼
                      > spread over the top and bake. My recipe fits a 10
                      > perfectly but you could
                      > double it and put it in a larger oven. So much easier
                      > than trying to roll
                      > it out.
                      >

                      > Wayne

                    • Alana and Dustin
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
                        That sounds like the type of cinnamon roll I can make. Could I get
                        the recipe PLEASE!

                        Alana
                      • Wayne Hessel
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 3, 2008
                          Here is my recipe and like I said I don’t roll and cut any more I just mix
                          in ¾ of the topping put it in a 10 inch oven and cover with the rest of the
                          topping.

                          Wayne

                          Jiffy Cinnamon Rolls

                          2 cups All Purpose flour

                          2 tbsp. Granulated sugar

                          4 tsp. Baking Powder

                          1 tsp. Salt

                          ¼ cup Cold butter or margarine

                          1 cup Cold Milk

                          1/3 cup Butter or margarine

                          1 cup packed brown sugar

                          3 tsp. cinnamon

                          1/3 cup Currants or cut up raisins

                          In large bowl put flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until
                          crumbly. Make a well in center.

                          Pour milk in well. Stir to form soft dough adding a bit more milk if
                          needed. Turn out on lightly floured surface. Knead 8-10 times. Roll into
                          rectangle about 1/3 inch thick and 12 inches long.

                          Line bottom of oven with parchment paper; Cream butter, brown sugar and
                          cinnamon together well. Drop ¼ cup into Dutch oven and spread around.
                          Spread the remaining cinnamon mixture over dough rectangle. Sprinkle
                          currants over top. Roll up as for jelly roll. Mark first then cut into 12
                          slices. Place cut side down in muffin pan. Bake in 400 deg oven for 20-25
                          minutes. Turn out on tray when still warm.

                          Makes 12

                          Glaze: To ½ cup icing sugar, add enough milk or water to make a thin glaze.
                          Drizzle over cinnamon rolls.

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                            Did you say 5 cans of cinnamon rolls in a 12inch? Please explain
                            how that works. When I cook cinnamon rolls from a can I can only
                            fit 2 cans. Please explain!

                            lisa

                            <d.k.patterson@...> wrote:

                            > I have used caned cinnamon rolls many times if takes about 40
                            minutes
                            > to bake them 8 rolls in a can 5 cans in a 12 inch and I have not
                            had
                            > any left over. I know they are not home made but I did not have to
                            > get up 2 hr before everyone else. Try them you mite get lazy like
                            me.
                            > Dean
                            >

                            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Hotmail K2outside"
                            > <k2outside@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I'd love to make cinnamon rolls while on an upcoming camping
                            trip.
                            > Looking
                            > > at the recipes I find, it looks like I'm in for two hours from
                            the
                            > time my
                            > > feet hit the ground until we're eating hot rolls. That includes
                            > mixing,
                            > > kneading, rising, rolling out, filling, rolling up, slicing,
                            > placing, rising
                            > > and baking. So, I'm either getting up two hours before my
                            camping
                            > partners
                            > > or we're eating two hours after we all get up. Or, I guess I
                            could
                            > get up
                            > > one hour before them and we eat one hour after they all get up.
                            > I'm not
                            > > crazy about getting up much earlier. My baby hasn't been
                            sleeping
                            > through
                            > > the night well recently, so sleep is precious! Another option
                            > would be to
                            > > make them the night before, but, then, they're not fresh in the
                            > morning and
                            > > I run the risk of them sweating in the DO, getting soggy. But,
                            are
                            > > 10-hour-old rolls just fine if stored properly (under a
                            towel?)? I
                            > have
                            > > seen that some folks do everything to the last rise the night
                            > before, then
                            > > chill 'em overnight. I will have some limited refrigeration.
                            For
                            > space,
                            > > it'd probably make sense for me to stop before cutting them, so
                            I'd
                            > just
                            > > store the log. What do ya'll do?
                            > >
                            > > Right now, I'm considering using the recipe for "Best Ever
                            Cinnamon
                            > Rolls"
                            > > from _The_Dutch_Oven_Resource_. The picture sure looks yummy.
                            > >
                            > > -kathleen

                          • the_redneck_gourmet
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 7, 2008
                              ---
                              Lisa what is done is that the rolls are put on their sides, not their
                              bottoms. You put in tight so that the only way for them to expand is
                              up. You get a bigger "loaf" of bread rather than rolls or biscuits.
                              There are several pictures in the photos of variouscanned biscuits in
                              different size ovens.
                              Just take them out of the can and start around the sides of the oven
                              till you meet then start around ring till you feel up the bottom. It
                              will take a little longer to cook thios way but you get a diffenent
                              creature. I did over 200 in a 20" at a cookoff just for the show one
                              time and topped it with a rasberry glaze. One woman got mad at me
                              because she did not believe me when I told her how I baked
                              my "bread". I told her the truth that it was just canned biscuits
                              packed tight. She told me she knew what a canned biscuit taste like
                              and that just was not a canned biscuit and stormed off!
                              Doug