RE: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] sourdough starter questions

  • Porter Rockwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2002
      http://www.culinarycafe.com/Breads-Biscuits.html

      click on Sourdough Starter

      $-----Original Message-----
      $From: ez2endo@... [mailto:ez2endo@...]
      $Sent: Monday, September 30, 2002 4:17 PM
      $To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
      $Subject: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] sourdough starter questions
      $
      $Hiya Guys (and Gals)
      $ I just started my first sourdough starter ever, and have a couple of
      $questions I thought that some of you culinary wizards may be able to help me
      $with.
      $ First it was a simple start, flour (2 cups), yeast (1 pkg.) and water to
      $for form a thick batter. I started it Sunday afternoon. I just have it in a
      $covered bowl now and it's starting to fill the house with a yeasty smell.
      $
      $Should I stir it?
      $
      $How do I store it?
      $
      $ I have heard of just putting it in a jar and covering it, or a sourdough
      $crock. Wouldn't this seal tight? what about the gas that's created?
      $
      $
      $ As I use the starter, just replace what I used with equal amounts of
      $water & flour, Right? What about yeast, do you need to add more of this?
      $
      $Anyone have any good ideas what to make with it, as my first "experiment"?
      $
      $Thanks guys,
      $
      $(I love trying the recipes you post. Keep it up!)
      $
      $Chet \\\ot0
      $<A HREF="http://www.justxr.com/ez2endo/">Ez2endo's World</A>
      $
      $
      $[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      $
      $
      $
      $To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      $
      $
      $
      $Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/