Cooking Rice

  • riverjourneys
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 23, 2002
      I have had great luck with long grain brown rice and basmati rice as well. I bring the water to a boil first, then add the rice and set off with very little heat to simmer. I do most of my cooking on wood as we do a lot of canoe camping and do not carry charcoal, so I am not sure about the briquettes. I have a 12" DO and it makes great rice. We usually serve it with stir fry veggies and chicken breast.

      Basmati rice takes about 20 minutes with a 2 to 1 ratio of water to rice and the brown rice takes about 45 minutes with a 3 to 1 ratio of water to rice. We use our DO for a lot of different things canoe camping. Our customers are always impressed with the array of food we are able to serve.

      David

      http://www.riverjourneys.org

    • jcampbell
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
        Any one experienced with cooking rice? Ya just can't have gumbo with out a little rice to go with it. JC

      • Dennis Gabler
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
          I ran across this website awhile back and have done it this way ever
          since. Very easy and works every time.

          http://shiokfood.com/notes/archives/000022.html

          Regards,
          Dennis

          --
          Dennis - W5DG
          Adel, IA.
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
            Dennis
            Thanks for sharing that method. I'm assuming you can
            use a Dutch Oven? When it says to turn the heat as
            low as possible, how many coals would you suggest I
            use? Julie from San Berdoo
            --- Dennis Gabler <dgabler@...> wrote:

            > I ran across this website awhile back and have done
            > it this way ever
            > since. Very easy and works every time.
            >
            > http://shiokfood.com/notes/archives/000022.html
            >
            > Regards,
            > Dennis

            http://new.mail.yahoo.com
          • Richard
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
              We cook a lot of rice and we use 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water. Bring it
              to a boil, cover, leave it on very low heat for 20 minutes.

              We do not stir or disturb until it is done. We also do not wash it, we like
              it sticky. Hard to pick up with chop sticks if it will not stick together.

              When I am making Jambalaya I use chicken stock instead of water.

              Richard
              Mesa, AZ

              _____

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 4, 2007
                Dennis - do you do this in the Dutch oven? Sounded kinda
                complicated when I first read it, but I suppose it would be easier
                once you were used to doing it that way. And it would be worth it,
                to get good rice - I just hate it when it turns out chewy!
                How's Deby doing? Ronda
                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Dennis Gabler <dgabler@...>
                wrote:

                > I ran across this website awhile back and have done it this way
                ever
                > since. Very easy and works every time.
                >
                > http://shiokfood.com/notes/archives/000022.html
                >
                > Regards,
                > Dennis
                >
                > jcampbell wrote:
                >
                > >Any one experienced with cooking rice? Ya just can't have gumbo
                with out a little rice to go with it. JC

                > --
                > Dennis - W5DG
                > Adel, IA.
                > http://www.vortexchaser.com

              • Dennis Gabler
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                  Hi Ronda,

                  I usually put the DO on my camp stove for this one. This approach works
                  well because you rinse all the starch off the rice first. Starch is what
                  makes the rice stick together, it's suprising how much is actually on it.

                  Deby is doing well, they seem to have slowed the progression alot. We
                  just go through life 8 weeks at a time these days.

                  Thanks,
                  Dennis

                  --
                  Dennis - W5DG
                  Adel, IA.
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                    In a message dated 2/5/2007 7:09:01 AM Central Standard Time,
                    dgabler@... writes:
                    Hi Ronda,

                    I usually put the DO on my camp stove for this one. This approach works
                    well because you rinse all the starch off the rice first. Starch is what
                    makes the rice stick together, it's suprising how much is actually on it.

                    Deby is doing well, they seem to have slowed the progression alot. We
                    just go through life 8 weeks at a time these days.

                    Thanks,
                    Dennis

                    Hey Dennis,

                    We put the raw rice in a pan with a pad or two of butter. We then bring the
                    heat up to roast the rice in the butter. After a few minutes of this
                    roasting, we add the water to cook the rice for about 20 minutes. We do not remove
                    the lid of the pot until the rice is finished.

                    BigAl

                  • Steven Karoly
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                      Here's the recipe from by blog at 'Round the Chuckbox
                      (http://roundthechuckbox.blogspot.com/):

                      Rice pilaf is the perfect accompaniment to many Dutch oven entrees.
                      It's easy to prepare and the cast iron Dutch oven adds an element of
                      forgiveness. You can forget the rice for a few minutes, and it'll
                      still come out light and fluffy.

                      To cook wonderful pilaf, lightly browning rice in hot oil. The
                      browned grain gives off a nutty flavor that compliments the stock
                      that's used to cook the rice. For perfect rice, boil the stock
                      before adding it to the browned rice and sauteed vegetables.

                      I rarely cook this dish the same way twice. I often use use my basic
                      rice pilaf recipe to get rid of leftover condiments and salsa from
                      the refrigerator.

                      Today at the El Dorado Western Railway engine house, I added two
                      chopped roasted red peppers from a jar that's been in the cooler for
                      several months. I will often replace up to one-third of the broth
                      with a liquid-based flavor enhancing condiment. My favorites are
                      salsa, tomato sauce and sundried tomato pesto.

                      RICE PILAF

                      This recipe prepares enough for 12 persons. Figure about 1/4-cup raw
                      long-grain rice per serving.

                      3 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
                      1 medium onion, chopped
                      3 cloves garlic, minced
                      2 large roasted red peppers, chopped
                      2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
                      2-1/2 cups long grain rice
                      4-3/4 cups chicken broth
                      Salt and pepper to taste

                      Pour oil in 12-inch Dutch oven and heat over medium-high heat. Add
                      onions and sweat. Add garlic and sweat until soft. Add rice, coat
                      with oil and lightly saute until rice is a light brown color. Add
                      broth, salt and pepper and stir to combine.

                      Place lid on oven. Arrange 7 charcoal briquettes under the oven and
                      15 on lid. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until done. Fluff rice. Serves
                      12.
                    • jcampbell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 5, 2007
                        Goodness ! What a lot of input on rice! I am eager to give these tips a try. Thanks - JC