Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Boy Scout/ youth Cook Off Rules - Need suggestions

  • Sherry Colvin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 31, 2008
      Yes, she said Boy Scout in the subject but she also said youth, so I was
      projecting, lol.

      I'm not even sure what Patrol protocol is, so can't really answer your
      question except to say that they're totally different groups. Girls do
      use the patrol system for troop management of meetings and such, but
      it's not something that's dedicated to the out of doors.

      Sherry

    • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
        We hold a 2 pot cook-off each year at the last Roundtable before Summer
        Camp. Here are the rules that we abide by for this event.

        2nd Annual DO Cook-off of “Erie Shores & Southern Hills Districts”
        The cook-off will be held in conjunction with the District Scout Roundtable.

        PLACE:- SOUTHGATE PLAZA
        DATE:- MAY 9, 2006
        TIME:- 5 PM
        The 2 Pot Cook-off will consist of a Main Dish and a Desert Dish.
        Judging will be based on preparation, presentation, cleanliness and taste.
        Emphasis is on food, not garnishments.
        Time: You may light cooking fires at 5:00 pm, onward.
        Dishes must be ready for judging as follows:
        Desert – 7:15 pm
        Main – 7:15 pm
        Cleanup follows.
        Awards will be presented at the Roundtable meeting.
        BASIC RULES
        1) A team may consist of 3 members. An adult must accompany any
        contestant under the age of 18.
        2) Only contestants are allowed in the cooking area. One team member must
        remain in the cooking area at all times for fire safety reasons.
        3) All cooking must be with charcoal briquettes and have a cooking
        surface off the
        ground for their coals, such as a cook table.
        Propane may be used for fire starting or heating water.
        4) A typed or neatly printed recipe, on 81/2” x 11” paper, for each dish
        must be available for the Judges, along with the contestant’s names.
        5) Ingredients must be prepared from scratch on site including cutting of
        meat,
        vegetables, etc. Coolers should be provided for all refrigerated items.
        6) Contestants must keep their team’s work site clean and presentable
        during
        cooking, exercise safe food handling practices and leave the area clean
        after
        the cook-off.
        7) Each team is required to have a hand wash station.
        8) Judging will be final and food samples will not be distributed until
        after Judging is complete.

        "That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the
        nature of the thing has changed, but that our ability to do has increased."

        Dave Horton
        Dutch oven cooking
        Seminars, Demonstrations,
        and Dutch oven Catering.
        Meals with a Western flair.
        dave@...
        716-238-3599
        _www.dutchovendave.com_ (http://www.dutchovendave.com/)
        "I Used To Be A Beaver"
        WB NEVll - 5

        Home.

      • DutchOvenDave@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
          Here is a copy of our flier for the event.

          The Great
          Erie Shores & Southern Hills Districts
          Trailer Round-up
          &
          2 Pot Dutch-Oven Cook-Off
          Southern Roundtable
          Tuesday May 9th 2006
          5:00-7:30 Cook-off & Trailer Show
          7:45-9:00 Special Roundtable Program
          Special Thanks to Southgate Plaza for set up & location
          Union Road, West Seneca
          With Special Guest Demonstrations/Presentations/Judging
          The WNY Chapter of the Dutch Oven Society
          First, Second, and Third place awards for a Main Dish and Dessert and BEST
          OVERALL. All food MUST be cooked on location of Cook Off. Remember to
          make extra to pass out.
          Cooking will start at 5:00 with judging to be at 7:30. Start practicing now
          on those
          favorite recipes and plan on bringing home those awards. Use those Dutch Oven
          Cooking skills learned at Training!
          Prizes will also be awarded for the “Biggest Trailer”, “Best Scouting
          Design,” &
          “Best Use of Space.” Prizes will include a free Lean-too rental at Camp,
          free
          weekend of tent rentals, Dutch Ovens, and much more.
          So bring your TROOP or PACK trailers polish them up and show them off, hook
          up your propane grill or charcoal stove
          and get ready. Polish up your ladles and dust off your aprons! Get ready to
          cook!!
          Plan on holding your unit’s meeting on this date and help your youth hone
          their cooking skills and in the process, pass
          off on advancement or merit badge requirements. PLEASE REGISTER WITH DAVE
          HORTON BY MAY 1ST!
          Dave Horton 238-3599 _dave@..._ (mailto:dave@...)
          Contact Herb Schmidt 891-4073 _hschmidt@..._
          (mailto:hschmidt@...)
          ALL CUB SCOUT, BOY SCOUT, VENTURING & EXPLORING LEADERS ARE INVITED!

          Home.

        • Michelle Shock
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
            I think the leaders need to be there as advisors only no hands on.

            Michelle
          • Bob Prager
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
              On Tue, Apr 1, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Michelle Shock
              <michelles@...> wrote:
              > I think the leaders need to be there as advisors only no hands on.

              We've recruited other adults as "site judges" -- and they were
              assigned to watch for safety issues at EAC entering patrol. (You'd
              have to go over specific safety issues with these judges first...)
              Gets the leaders out of the contest area.

              Bob Prager
            • Paul
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                I've worked with three different troops and have done cook offs in a variety of ways. I suggest that you let the patrols do the cooking, this is the way most scout troops work.

                As far as ways to do it, the way i"ve had the most success with is to provide the patrol with a previously unknown set of ingredients. The ingredients usually include a meat (chicken usually) as well as pasta, rice, 3-4 vegies, mushroom soup or similar soup, cheese, apples, red hots, brown sugar, cinnamon, and usually an ingredient or two to throw them off (i've used Pickled cactus, ginger root and others). The boys then have a set time to determine their menu and to cook it.

                The rules are simple, can only use ingredients provided, must have balance meal meaning that items from all food groups must be used, dutch oven must be used however second items can be cooked in foil on fire, and the patrol must eat it for their dinner.

                Have fun.

              • Georgia Carr
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 1, 2008
                  Thanks for the suggestions everyone. This gives me enough to get
                  started. Georgia

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Georgia Carr"