Re: Wagner Find

  • CaptMidnight1943
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
      Howdy again MzD!

      RE: hiding the new DO in the sewing basket--that's a good idea!

      I use a Pole barn to hide my extra iron buys! I always leave the
      same count of Dos hanging around in my beer drinking room, so East
      Texas Granny doesn't notice a change in Do population!

      BTW! another good tip--don't try to remove a 10 inch DO and replace
      it with a 15 or 16 inch DO using the above described camp trick! It
      won't work! Granny caught me last year trying that one!

      Regards

      Da Cap'n

      --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "mzdaville" <mzdaville@y...> wrote:
      > Hi Everyone,
      >
      > Since my husband is on vacation we have been scouting yard sales.
      > I found a Coleman lantern for $4 and three Wagner castiron pans.
      > Two are fry pans and one is a flat bottom dutch oven. I bought them
      > for $3. ea. The fry pans needed slight cleaning but inside and
      > outside of the dutchoven is VERY gooy, like hot tar. I have tried
      the
      > usual ways of cleaning short of dynamite! What is the best way to
      get
      > this gunk off?
      >
      > Cap, I also couldn't resist temptation. I bought another 8" DO
      today.
      > I had to sneak it into the house. I hid it in my large sewing
      basket.
      > He never looks in there!
      >
      > Hope someone can help me with cleaning the gooy mess.
      >
      > Thanks, MzD
    • mailbox88804
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
        Hello MzD,

        Congratulations on your find. :8>)~

        This is for information only, since I have not tried it. I had this
        saved from an earlier post by Cee Dub:
        +++++++++++++
        I've tried different ways of rehabilitating pieces of old cast iron
        cookware be they "very rusty" and/or gunky from being used as a
        flower pot etc. The easiest method I've found is this. Set the piece
        in a gas grill over low or over 2-3 pounds of briquets just after
        they've been lit. If using charcoal the heat will increase as more of
        the briquets ignite. If using a gas grill increase the heat to med-
        high after a few minutes. You just want to avoid putting too much
        heat to fast to the piece or you may crack it. Anyway...After twenty
        minutes or so the piece should be smoking hot. I then place the DO or
        skillet on my Camp Chef Cooking Table. WEARING SAFETY GOGGLES, WITH
        HEAVY LEATHER GLOVES, AND A PAIR OF CHANNEL LOCK PLIERS TO HOLD IT
        STEADY WITH ONE HAND, I buff it with a wire polishing wheel on my
        electric drill, inside and out. The rust and any old carbonized
        organic matter peels of quickly. While it is still hot I wipe it down
        with an old t-shirt I've soaked with Camp Chef Condiditioner. Presto,
        the DO is cleaned and cured in about a half an hour.

        Cee Cub
        ++++++++
        He says that this works with rusty and gunky DO's, so I'm not sure if
        it'll work with "gooy" ones or not. <LOL>

        Hope this helps,

        Jimmie in KY

        --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "mzdaville" <mzdaville@y...> wrote:
        > Hi Everyone,
        >
        > . . . . . but inside and outside of the dutchoven is VERY gooy,
        >like hot tar. I have tried the usual ways of cleaning short of
        >dynamite! What is the best way to get this gunk off?
        >

        > Hope someone can help me with cleaning the gooy mess.
        >
        > Thanks, MzD
      • mailbox88804
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 4, 2002
          --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "mzdaville" <mzdaville@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Everyone,
          >
          >VERY gooy, like hot tar. I have tried the
          > usual ways of cleaning short of dynamite! What is the best way to
          get
          > this gunk off?

          Hello MzD,

          FYI only since I haven't tried this. Previous post from Cee Dub.
          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
[...]

          ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
          He says it worked for rusty and gunky, maybe it'll work for gooy.LOL

          Hope this helps,

          Jimmie in KY
        • dowillie39056
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2002
            I've had good luck with EASY OFF oven cleaner. I read about it
            somewhere and tried it on a no-name that I have several of. WARE
            GLOVES, spray a good coat on skillet and inside a plastic bag. Put
            skillet in bag and then put that mess in another and leave for a
            couple days. You may have to repeate if item is real bad. When all
            the gunk is off, wash real good with SOS and then bake @ 400 for a
            couple hours without anything on it to cook off any remaining EASY
            OFF. Season unit and enjoy.