5 inch recipe and ramblings

  • janet_norris_2000
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Just some ramblings on a Sunday morning:
      I prepared a quarter-recipe apple crisp (from good old Betty Crocker
      cookbook)in my 5 inch while at boy scout camp. It turned out pretty
      good, making two hearty servings. It was made with one apple, so I
      guess it could be called one-apple crisp. Seems like you can convert
      most any favorite recipe to the DO with a little thought and a few
      temperature tweaks. Since I was trying to stay within diet
      guidelines, I cooked independent of the troop. I found that a game
      hen roasted very nicely in less than an hour (whole, but not stuffed)
      on a wire trivet in the 10 inch, with some sweet potato chunks tucked
      in alongside.

      Some additional feedback on seasoning: The high temp method has
      resulted in some really well-seasoned iron for me. The combo cooker
      I seasoned this way is used every morning for bacon and eggs, and the
      egg residue cleans up with a splash of water and a quick rub with a
      plastic scrubber. No more effort than the old teflon skillet. Also,
      I used the Weber to burn off the factory coating of the monster 16
      inch DO, and then seasoned it in the Weber. Worked very well, and I
      had no flack from the kids re smoking up the house with the kitchen
      oven.

      While at camp I used Cee Dub's garbage can lid idea for a cooking
      surface, and was very pleased with the results. For a windscreen I
      used a five foot length of galvanized metal sheet (about 16 inches
      wide), and it snugged right inside the garbage can lid lip for
      stability. The galvanized sheet came from the hardware store with
      very sharp cut edges, which I folded over with a hammer and then
      taped with that aluminum metal tape (not duct tape). Anyway, the
      rolled sheet was high enough to block wind for two stacked DOs.
      Since I carry my DO tools (lifters, shovel, gloves, matches)in a 5
      gal bucket, the windscreen takes no additional storage room. I just
      roll it tight enough to slide into the bucket, put the tools in the
      middle, and go.

      One final ramble: Bisquick's Impossible Pie recipes are a favorite
      in our house (sadly, highbrow cookin' is not). I tried one in a 10
      inch DO last weekend when the weather was too hot for indoor baking.
      Turned out great! And completely non-stick cleanup with a squirt of
      PAM first. The garden yielded peaches and blackberries for a cobbler
      in the 8 inch, also nonstick in the high temp-seasoned pot. The 5
      inch made two servings of steamed zucchini/onion/bell pepper/herb
      medley.

      Anyway, hope this feedback helps/encourages other newbies to "just DO
      it". -Janet
    • dutchovencook99
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
        what type of Weber grill are you using? charcoal or gas. I have a new
        Weber Kettle. I have a new 12" deep DO,(that I swaped my friend for a
        14' reg.DO) that I need to season. I like to try it on my kettle
        grill so I wont stink up house. johnw-ks.
      • janet_norris_2000
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 2, 2002
          --- In dutchovencooking@y..., dutchovencook99 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > what type of Weber grill are you using? charcoal or gas. I have a
          new
          > Weber Kettle. I have a new 12" deep DO,(that I swaped my friend for
          > 14' reg.DO) that I need to season. I like to try it on my kettle
          > grill so I wont stink up house. johnw-ks.

          Hi John--It was just a charcoal kettle, I loaded it up with about 30
          or 40 coals and it got hot enough to do the job. The hint was from a
          web site? I don't recall, but credit to them. Anyway, I put the DO
          upside down on the grill above the coals, and leaned the lid against
          it(it was a tight fit for that monster 16). At first there was
          substantial smoke coming out the draft holes, and that unmistakeable
          smell of burning wax as the coating burned off. When the smoking
          stopped, I knew the wax was totally burned off. After letting it
          cool I washed the pot and seasoned it in the grill using a similar
          amount of coals and arrangement It would have been smart to put an
          oven thermometer in to check the temp, but I didn't think to do that.

          I also burned off an old crusty household-type dutch oven in the
          weber, I didn't want to use the self-cleaning oven for that job. It
          worked well for that too. Good Luck with your new iron--Janet