Recipes for outdoor

  • Barbara Wilkins
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2002
      Stumbled upon a couple sites with some Dutch oven and
      other outdoors type recipes:

      http://www.azod.com/awvtv/2002Files/Recipes.htm
      http://www.azod.com/Cooking/Default.htm

      Mark Wilkins
      Glendale, AZ.

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • billmccorkle
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 3, 2002
        So how do you make these:
        GREAT chimichangas
        Never had them, sure would like to try something new.
        Bill

        --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "NIELSON, BRIAN" <4nielso@s...> wrote:
        > Any leftover roast would make GREAT chimichangas. I did a
        variation of this
        > on Sunday.
        >
        > Brian

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Barbara Wilkins
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 3, 2002
          Chimichangas Supreme

          1 lb Lean beef
          1/2 Bell pepper, chopped
          1 ts Salt
          1 1/2 ts Flour
          1/4 ts Pepper
          1/2 c Canned whole green chilies
          1/4 ts Garlic powder
          4 Tomatoes
          4 flour Tortillas
          1 1/2 ts Shortening
          Oil for deep frying
          1/2 Onion, chopped
          Red chile sauce (see below)
          1/4 cup chopped green onions
          1 c Shredded wisconsin Cheddar cheese
          1 tb Whipping cream
          Guacamole
          1 c Sour cream
          2 c Shredded lettuce
          Black olives

          1. Cut the beef into 4 pieces. Place in a 5 to
          6-quart pan and add water to cover. Bring to a boil;
          skim the foam from the surface. Add the salt, pepper,
          and garlic. Simmer until tender, approximately 1-1/2
          to 2 hours.
          2. Drain the beef, reserving 1/2 cup of the broth.
          When the meat is cool, shred. Chop 2 of the tomatoes.

          3. Melt the shortening in a pan over medium heat.
          Add the onion and bell pep- per and saute until
          tender. Add the flour, whisking until no lumps remain,
          and cook 2 minutes. Add the shredded beef, reserved
          broth, chopped tomatoes, and whole chiles. Simmer 15
          minutes.
          4. Place about 1/2 cup of the meat mixture in a line
          down the center of each tortilla. Fold both ends over
          1 inch to 2 inch; fold one side over the other and
          roll up in a neat package. Secure with a toothpick.
          5. Deep fry in very hot oil (400F) until Crisp and
          well browned. Drain on paper toweling.
          6. Preheat Dutch oven. Place the chimichangas on an
          ovenproof platter or in a baking pan. Spoon Red Chile
          Sauce over liberally. Sprinkle with grated cheese and
          green onion. Place in Dutch oven with heat on lid
          until the cheese melts.
          7. Combine the sour cream and whipping cream. Slice
          the remaining 2 tomatoes. Top the chimichangas with
          the sour cream mixture and Guacamole. Garnish with
          shredded lettuce, sliced tomato, and olives.

          RED CHILE SAUCE

          8 ea Dried red chiles*
          4 c Water
          2 tb Flour
          2 tb Vegetable oil
          2 lg Garlic cloves, chopped
          1 pn Dried oregano
          1 t Cider vinegar

          *For a spicy sauce, use 1 New Mexico and 7
          California chiles. Eliminate the New Mexico chile for
          a milder sauce. Wearing gloves, use a small knife to
          remove chile stems and seeds, then wash the chiles
          well. Place in a saucepan with the water and bring to
          a boil over high heat; boil for 5 minutes, then allow
          to sit for 10 to 15 minutes. Whirl the water and
          chiles in a food processor or blender, in batches if
          necessary, for 20 to 30 seconds, or until the skins
          are finely chopped. Pass through a strainer, pressing
          the chile pieces through with a wooden spoon. In a
          medium skillet, make a roux by combining the flour and
          oil. Saute over low heat for 2 minutes, then add the
          garlic, chile mixture, oregano and vinegar. Stir well
          and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. The sauce will keep
          in the refrigerator, tightly covered, for about 5
          days, or it can be frozen for 2 to 3 months.

          --- billmccorkle <billmc40@...> wrote:
          > So how do you make these:
          > GREAT chimichangas
          > Never had them, sure would like to try something
          > new.
          > Bill

          http://finance.yahoo.com
        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 3, 2002
            We were cooking a cake with fresh peaches and decided
            to pick some of the fresh blackberries and add to the
            recipe. Wow it is a great combination try it in your
            next peach dish.

            We cook with scrap wood (there is always some left
            over from projects and old pallet boards). The heat
            varies so we just check the oven and adjust the heat
            by adding or deleting wood. Kate likes to brush the
            coals from the lid with a wisk broom. We have found
            the best deal on wisk brooms at the dollar store.
            Lon

            http://finance.yahoo.com
          • captmidnight1943@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 21, 2004
              Portuguese style pot roast

              This pot roast recipe uses some spices that are quite different than
              what you would expect, but the results are great! Give it a try,
              you'll like it!

              This makes an excellent Dutch oven meal!

              Note! Please use the wine in the sauce, it's important.

              1 -5 lb chuck roast
              1 tbl cumin powder
              1 tbl allspice
              1 15 oz tomato sauce
              1 15 oz can water
              1 cup Burgundy wine
              1 big onion chopped
              3 to 4 cloves garlic-minced
              2 bay leaves
              1 1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
              a little cooking oil

              heat up some oil in a dutch oven

              mix the cumin and allspice and rub roast very well on sides and
              top and bottom of roast.

              brown roast in dutch oven, then mix ever thing else, and pour over
              roast. Place in medium coals and cook 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until
              roast is falling apart.

              Serve in chunks (with the gravy) over French, or sourdough bread.

              Cooking with Da Cap'n

              Regards

              Da Cap'n
            • gablerdk
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 24, 2004
                Just did this one today with a good ole Iowa roast. I did not have any
                allspice so I substituted ground cloves and cinnamon, otherwise I did
                it as "published". Great recipe Cap'n.

                Thanks,
                Dennis G.
                http://www.vortexchaser.com
              • captmidnight1943@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 25, 2004
                  Howdy, Dennis

                  You're welcome! And thank you for the feedback on how the recipe
                  went for you. Everyone has different tastes in foods, and spices,
                  so finding a good middle ground for a recipe is important. The only
                  way to find out is to hear from folks that try it. Your choice of a
                  sub for allspice was a good one.

                  Regards

                  Cap

                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "gablerdk" <dgabler@p...>