Re:Potjie source?

  • David Herzog
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
      Fran, I cant even get in tough with the Cellar Store in San Berndadino. I ve called with no luck and emailed also with no luck at all. I'll look again but I have a website saves somewhere that carries and sells them.

    • Mark & Barb
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
        Try these:
        http://www.potjies.com/
        http://www.texastastes.com/p1530.htm
        http://www.moderntradingpost.com/potjie_pots/index.html
        http://www.satooz.com/category38_1.htm
        http://www.thecellarstore.com/potjiepot.html

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, David Herzog
        <norcaldutchovendave@...> wrote:

        > Fran, I cant even get in tough with the Cellar Store in San
        Berndadino. I ve called with no luck and emailed also with no luck at
        all. I'll look again but I have a website saves somewhere that carries
        and sells them.
      • Mark Hansen
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
          These look really cool, but the one I'd really like is
          the potjie wok. That would be cool to do stir fry in!

          MRKH

          --- Mark & Barb <barb7513@...> wrote:

          > Try these:
          > http://www.potjies.com/
          > http://www.texastastes.com/p1530.htm

          http://www.moderntradingpost.com/potjie_pots/index.html
          > http://www.satooz.com/category38_1.htm
          > http://www.thecellarstore.com/potjiepot.html
          >

          > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, David
          > Herzog
          > <norcaldutchovendave@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Fran, I cant even get in tough with the Cellar
          > Store in San
          > Berndadino. I ve called with no luck and emailed
          > also with no luck at
          > all. I'll look again but I have a website saves
          > somewhere that carries
          > and sells them.

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Fran L-G
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mark & Barb" <barb7513@...>
            wrote:

            > Try these:
            > http://www.potjies.com/

            Too expensive, they are located in the UK so I think the US prices to
            ship cast iron reflect this.

            > http://www.texastastes.com/p1530.htm

            This is the Heinsohn's Country Store that I found for the 1/4 size
            that I put up on the group's home page. I'm holding out to see if
            there are better prices.

            > http://www.moderntradingpost.com/potjie_pots/index.html

            Dead end to Action Africa, who no longer sell cast iron (too bad!).

            > http://www.satooz.com/category38_1.htm

            This company is located in Australia, so their high prices to the US
            reflect this also.

            > http://www.thecellarstore.com/potjiepot.html

            That's the first one that comes up in the search. Dave I'm glad you
            confirmed this that this company is becoming unreachable, but on one
            of the ordering pages, it says something like due to their health
            problems, shipping will not be timely. I suspect these poor people
            are not getting any better.

            I know similar pots are used in rendezvous's & reenactments, perhaps
            there's a supplier of those type of items that carries potjies
            reasonably priced?

            Fran

            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, David Herzog
            > <norcaldutchovendave@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Fran, I cant even get in tough with the Cellar Store in San
            > Berndadino. I ve called with no luck and emailed also with no luck at
            > all. I'll look again but I have a website saves somewhere that carries
            > and sells them.

          • Charles Edwards III
            Message 5 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
              Just for practice, I ran potjie through Amazon and got two hits on something that looks remarkably similar in 6 qt and 8 qt sizes. They list it as a Cajun bean pot, I think, and it's sold by Shoppers Choice, but it comes up in the search for potjie.

              Fran L-G <fran_lg@...> wrote: --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mark & Barb"
              wrote:

              > Try these:
              > http://www.potjies.com/

              Too expensive, they are located in the UK so I think the US prices to
              ship cast iron reflect this.

              > http://www.texastastes.com/p1530.htm

              This is the Heinsohn's Country Store that I found for the 1/4 size
              that I put up on the group's home page. I'm holding out to see if
              there are better prices.

              > http://www.moderntradingpost.com/potjie_pots/index.html

              Dead end to Action Africa, who no longer sell cast iron (too bad!).

              > http://www.satooz.com/category38_1.htm

              This company is located in Australia, so their high prices to the US
              reflect this also.

              > http://www.thecellarstore.com/potjiepot.html

              That's the first one that comes up in the search. Dave I'm glad you
              confirmed this that this company is becoming unreachable, but on one
              of the ordering pages, it says something like due to their health
              problems, shipping will not be timely. I suspect these poor people
              are not getting any better.

              I know similar pots are used in rendezvous's & reenactments, perhaps
              there's a supplier of those type of items that carries potjies
              reasonably priced?

              Fran

              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, David Herzog
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Fran, I cant even get in tough with the Cellar Store in San
              > Berndadino. I ve called with no luck and emailed also with no luck at
              > all. I'll look again but I have a website saves somewhere that carries
              > and sells them.

              Then click on "Leave Group".
              Yahoo! Groups Links

            • John Frerichs
              Message 6 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
                I got mine online from Bargainoutfitters.com a couple years ago. I think it's an offshoot of Sportsman's Guide. I got mine for $29.99 and shipping was only $5.00. Haven't seen them on their site for quite a while now though.

                John

              • Fran L-G
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, John Frerichs <owl_c2598@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I got mine online from Bargainoutfitters.com a couple years ago.
                  I think it's an offshoot of Sportsman's Guide. I got mine for $29.99
                  and shipping was only $5.00. Haven't seen them on their site for
                  quite a while now though.

                  > John

                  Yup, Sportman's Guide is another dead end. Too late! I remember
                  seeing them back then also, but was too interested in building up our
                  Lodge collection at that time when Amazon had Lodge prices at 50-60%
                  off list.

                  Fran L-G
                  Cleveland OH
                • Mark
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
                    Mark,

                    If you like the Potjie Wok then check this out.

                    http://visualrecipes.com/recipe-details/recipe_id/299/Discada---How-to-Feed-30-People-with-$40/

                    http://www.southwestdisk.com/Recipes.html

                    http://shop.southwestdisk.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=17

                    DOC Opa

                    > These look really cool, but the one I'd really like is
                    > the potjie wok. That would be cool to do stir fry in!
                    >
                    > MRKH
                  • robert frazier
                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
                      i never came acroos a wok but i'm liking the idea of a frying pan with legs! :-D

                      Mark Hansen <mrkhmusic@...> wrote: These look really cool, but the one I'd really like is

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 2, 2008
                        I am like Robert I like the frying pan with legs! I wonder if I have a DO
                        lid that would fit it. Lodge and others sale the stand alone lids. It
                        might be worth the bucks to order one and see if there is a lid in my
                        collection that would fit.
                        Randy Bear

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 3, 2008
                          http://www.biltongmakers.com/