Roast with Bacon

  • Mark Hansen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
      Oops. That link that I put up before is not to the
      recipe page, but a page that references the recipe
      page...

      Huh?

      Anyway, here's the recipe... http://marksblackpot.blogspot.com/2007/10/yet-another-dutch-oven-roast-recipe.html

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • William C McCorkle
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
        I tried both links. All I get is the title page and no results just a blank page.
        BillMc

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 31, 2008
          works fine for me - great sounding recipe which I'll
          be trying soon. Thanks for the info!
          Doc Marshall
          --- William C McCorkle <billmc40@...> wrote:

          > I tried both links. All I get is the title page and
          > no results just a blank page.
          > BillMc

        • Mark Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2008
            --- William C McCorkle <billmc40@...> wrote:

            > I tried both links. All I get is the title page and
            > no results just a blank page.
            > BillMc

            Sorry. Not sure why, maybe the whole URL isn't
            becoming a link...

            Anyway...

            Dutch Oven Bacon-Draped Roast

            12” deep dutch oven

            14-16 coals above
            14-16 coals below

            Start with slab of roast meat. I actually did two that
            added up to a little over 5 pounds. I knew we’d be
            feeding two families. I started the coals, and when
            they were ready, put some olive oil in the bottom, and
            set the dutch oven on about 20-25 coals (underneath)
            to heat up. While that was heating, I prepared the
            rub.

            The Rub

            1. Liberal shakes of salt and coarse ground pepper,
            maybe as much as a Tbsp of each. I used sea salt, but
            I don’t know if that made a difference or not.
            2. 2 Tbsp minced garlic
            3. ½ tsp mustard seed
            4. ½ tsp marjoram
            5. ½ tsp rosemary
            6. ½ tsp thyme
            7. 1 Tbsp parsley

            I stirred it all up and rubbed it all over the meat.
            That was a bit messy. Then I put the meat in the oven,
            and let it brown on all sides.

            While it was browning, I prepared the liquid. What do
            you call that, in the roast? The sauce? The baste?

            The Baste

            1. 1 Cup hot beef broth (I used an Au Jus mix)
            2. 3 Tbsp brown Sugar (I was out of brown sugar, so
            I used honey)
            3. A couple of liberal shakes of soy sauce and
            balsamic vineagar
            4. A couple of bay leaves
            5. A bit more liberal shakes of black pepper. I
            like it coarse ground.

            Now, had I been thinking, I would have carried the
            bacon out to the meat when I carried out the baste,
            but I wasn’t thinking, so I didn’t. If I had, I would
            have draped a bunch of slices of the bacon over the
            top of the roast at this point. But I didn’t. Did I
            mention that I forgot that part? Did I mention that I
            was upset that I forgot that part? Just checking.

            So, I poured in the baste. At that point, I pulled the
            oven off the coals, put 14 coals on the lid, and put
            14 coals below in a circle (I had to pull some from my
            side fire).

            Then, I set about making the biscuits. Just for the
            record, I used the same recipe I used for the Split
            Pea Soup a couple of months back. So, interspersed
            with all the cooking of the roast, I was also cooking
            the biscuits. Maybe that’s why I forget so much. I’m
            not so good at multitasking.

            While the roast was cooking, I rested for a while. I
            figured it would take about 3 hours to cook the roast.
            So, after about half that, I chopped up the veggies,
            stirred them up, and added them. All the while, I’m
            maintaining my side fire, and pulling fresh coals to
            replenish the ones that were burning out on the (now
            three ovens) that I had cooking (one with the roast,
            and two shallow 12”-ers with the biscuits).

            The Veggies:

            1. 2 medium onions, sliced
            2. a bunch of small green onions, sliced
            3. 2 stalks of celery, sliced
            4. a green bell pepper, sliced
            5. I took a jalapeno pepper and sliced about 6 very
            very thin slices off of it. Then I chopped those
            slices a little
            6. 1 large carrot, sliced
            7. 4 medium potatoes, quartered and sliced
            8. A handful of mushrooms, sliced

            At that point, everything that was goin in was in. It
            was just a matter of keeping the coals hot and waiting
            for it to get done.

            Just before my guests arrived, I got out my 8” dutch
            oven and a ladle. I carefully pulled about 1 ½-2 cups
            of broth out of the big dutch oven, and poured it into
            the small one. By this time, I’d taken the biscuits
            off, so I had some extra coals. I arranged them packed
            pretty tight and close on my bricks and set the 8”-er
            on top. Then I stirred up some flour into some water.
            I don’t really know how much, maybe a total of 2-3
            Tbsp into about a half cup of water, maybe less. I
            stirred it up to dissolve the flour, and poured it
            into the broth. I let that sit and boil for a while,
            stirring it as it got thicker and thicker.

            Finally it was ready to serve, and we all ate hearty
            tonight.

            Even without the bacon…

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs