Dutch Oven Brands, which r best??

  • Aaron
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
      I have 4 DO's 3 12in and 1 10in. All are "LODGE" brand. I am looking at
      other "brands" but I am scared of getting a BS oven that does not
      preform. I recently went to Cabelas website and I saw "their" store
      brand, and since I need a LARGE oven for my BBQ I am considering one of
      their 16 or 20in (their 20in 24qt is 99$)ovens. Please help me out with
      your thoughts, experinces or otherwise. Thanks

      Me
    • K. Brown
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
        First, Cabela's ovens are made by Camp Chef, so they are not a 'BS'
        brand.

        the Cabela's 20 inch oven has two bails. It is heavy enough to be
        carried by two people. The 16 inch oven is heavy enough when it is
        empty, and heavier when it is full.

        If you have watched CeeDub cooking, he uses the 20 inch oven. He was
        using one at the National DOG.

        Camp Chef does have an excellent customer service and customer
        relations department. You could always contact them directly to
        discuss these ovens.

        Ken

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <Paramedic357@...>
        wrote:

        > I have 4 DO's 3 12in and 1 10in. All are "LODGE" brand. I am
        looking at
        > other "brands" but I am scared of getting a BS oven that does not
        > preform. I recently went to Cabelas website and I saw "their" store
        > brand, and since I need a LARGE oven for my BBQ I am considering
        one of
        > their 16 or 20in (their 20in 24qt is 99$)ovens. Please help me out
        with
        > your thoughts, experinces or otherwise. Thanks
        >
        > Me

      • the_redneck_gourmet
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
          ---I have some of the Camp Chef Dutch ovens and have no complaints
          about them. I have one of the Cabelas 20"ers also and the only
          complaint with it is the hernia that I get when I try to pick it up
          full of something./ It does have 2 handles and they are meant to be
          used by 2 people. But it sure comes in handy when you have to feed a
          large number of people.
          Doug

          In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Aaron" <Paramedic357@...> wrote:

          > I have 4 DO's 3 12in and 1 10in. All are "LODGE" brand. I am looking
          at
          > other "brands" but I am scared of getting a BS oven that does not
          > preform. I recently went to Cabelas website and I saw "their" store
          > brand, and since I need a LARGE oven for my BBQ I am considering one
          of
          > their 16 or 20in (their 20in 24qt is 99$)ovens. Please help me out
          with
          > your thoughts, experinces or otherwise. Thanks
          >
          > Me

        • Charles Edwards
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
            I shop frequently at Cabela's and Bass Pro both. I recently looked at Cabela's cast iron and my personal opinion is that it's just re-branded Camp Chef product. Camp Chef freely admits their cast iron stuff is made in China and I have to honestly say that I have had two good experiences with Camp Chef. One piece was the Lewis & Clark Bean Pot and one piece was a 14" DO. Both pieces had excellent lid to pot fit and I can't really fault the products, but I'm still nervous about made in China DO and other cast iron.

            The majority of my stuff comes from Lodge (8", 10", 12", 12" deep, and 14" camp DOs, 5 qt. and 7 qt. kitchen DOs, plus a mess of skillets and lids, up to and including their 17" skillet), and I never have second thoughts about ordering Lodge. I have no experience with Maca, Bayou Classic, or Cajun Cookware.

            I've never been disappointed by Lodge, and truthfully Camp Chef has never hurt me either. Do as you will with than information.

            Aaron <Paramedic357@...> wrote:
            I have 4 DO's 3 12in and 1 10in. All are "LODGE" brand. I am looking at
            other "brands" but I am scared of getting a BS oven that does not
            preform. I recently went to Cabelas website and I saw "their" store
            brand, and since I need a LARGE oven for my BBQ I am considering one of
            their 16 or 20in (their 20in 24qt is 99$)ovens. Please help me out with
            your thoughts, experinces or otherwise. Thanks

            Me

            Then click on "Leave Group".
            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
              Can you be more specific on what "scares" you.
              The Cabela's ovens are made for them by Camp Chef.
              With the 90+ ovens I own and use, my experience is
              that they are comparable to the Lodge ovens. Their
              weight, balance, wall thickness, durability, seasoning
              ability, all seem to be about the same, however their
              affordability is better than Lodge when it comes to
              Sportsmans Warehouse where I find the best prices and
              service. I had (4) of the 20" Cabela's ovens, now only
              3 as CeeDub was in need of one for his own. Can you
              believe there was an oven he DIDN'T have ? Hard to
              imagine. Anyways, those ovens will cook dang near 6
              dozen rolls, a whole mess of cobbler, and at least 6
              good sized roasts all at the same time, not to mention
              some huge pizzas! I do own some Texsport / Stansport
              ovens which do well for stews, chilis, etc. but the
              lids don't seal very well nor is their balance as good
              when carried by the bail full of food. MACA has some
              great looking ovens, sturdy bails, thick walls which
              lend themselves to a great cooking pot once brought up
              to temperature, and have some great nativity scenes on
              the lids. I have a couple of the cheap ovens found at
              places like Harbor Freight which I do not trust at
              all. The bails bend easily, and the balance is
              atrocious. Anytime I have cooked with them it is a
              scary trip to carry them without losing the load
              unless I carry it with welding gloves and fore-go the
              bail. That's my .02 worth. For a beginning cook, I
              don't think you can go wrong with either the Lodge or
              Camp Chef. Start with those. You'll end up owning a
              little bit of everything by the time you are thrust
              into Castironitis without cure!

              Mark Wilkins
              Wittmann, AZ

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?
            • Rick Martin
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2008
                Mark,

                I believe you've said it all and couldn't of said it better than anyone
                else. I go with & love my Lodge and like my Camp Chef.

                Very best regards,

                Rick
                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins

                ________________________________________________________________________\
                ____________
                > Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                > Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

              • Montego
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                  How do you even tell what brand DO you have?
                  Well, Obviously, Lodge puts their name on everything... But the rest...

                  I have a 10" DO that doesn't have a name on it. It seems more or less
                  similar to a Lodge.
                  Is there a DO Identification guide somewhere to help me figure out what
                  I have?

                  Best,
                  Montego
                • Fran L-G
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 4, 2008
                    Hello Montego,

                    I don't know of any such guide. Usually a photo or description of
                    markings could help.

                    One thing I do know, that Camp Chef is about the only manufacturer
                    that has the slit in the top of the pot where it meets the lid to let
                    one insert a thermometer, plus the characteristic deeper lid where you
                    could use the lid upside down as a skillet. Camp Chef has also been
                    known to make cast iron cookware for the Cabelas brand.

                    Another feature that I've noticed with Texsport, Stansport, and also
                    some larger older Lodge dutch ovens is that the lid handle is tapered.
                    I don't particularly care for this feature -- I'd rather that the
                    handle be symmetrical for better balancing a lid full of hot coals,
                    just my preference. 'Course now that I have some sturdy Mair Lid
                    Lifters & a treasured Johnson Special, I can get a good grasp on the
                    lids regardless of handle shape.

                    Also, take a look at the shape of the legs -- I believe Texsport &
                    Stansport have narrower and taller legs than Lodge, at least my Harbor
                    Freight pot does.

                    I don't think Texsport or Stansport labels their dutch ovens either,
                    I'm betting my $9.99 Harbor Freight special is one of those.

                    Unless it is a "regular" depth 10 inch oven, I think Lodge only
                    started making the deeper 10 inch within the past 4 years, and those
                    are labeled with Lodge or Sportsmans Warehouse. How deep is your 10
                    inch pot?

                    Fran L-G
                    Cleveland OH

                    --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Montego <montego.lists@...>

                  • mimtn2@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 5, 2008
                      I was at a Lodge outlet looking for a lid to fit my 131\4" skillet. They
                      told me that Lodge did not put the lodge on there cast iron till about 15 teen
                      years ago. My skillet was marked 12 made in USA. I have had it longer than my
                      wife and 7 kids, about 35 years. See what is on it and call lodge.

                      Greg in NC

                    • K. Brown
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 5, 2008
                        You will see the number, which is 12 on yours. Then you will see the
                        letters 'SK' for skillet. There will be the 'Made in USA' and usually
                        a capital letter on the edge opposite the other information.

                        I was working on a great looking Number 8 skillet with a heat ring
                        this afternoon. The Electrolysis cleaned all but a few burned on food
                        areas on the bottom.

                        If Lodge did not have the lid in stock, Sportsman's Warehouse has
                        begun stocking lids for skillets.

                        Ken

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, mimtn2@... wrote:

                        > I was at a Lodge outlet looking for a lid to fit my 131\4" skillet.
                        They
                        > told me that Lodge did not put the lodge on there cast iron till
                        about 15 teen
                        > years ago. My skillet was marked 12 made in USA. I have had it
                        longer than my
                        > wife and 7 kids, about 35 years. See what is on it and call lodge.
                        >
                        > Greg in NC
                        >

                        > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.

                      • Delia
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 6, 2008
                          This lid caught my eye while searching ebay Sat. morning, & you may
                          have missed a possible fit. It ended 9 p.m. See # 230208132685 if
                          interested to see it.

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, mimtn2@... wrote:

                          > I was at a Lodge outlet looking for a lid to fit my 131\4" skillet.
                          They
                          > told me that Lodge did not put the lodge on there cast iron till
                          about 15 teen
                          > years ago. My skillet was marked 12 made in USA. I have had it
                          longer than my
                          > wife and 7 kids, about 35 years. See what is on it and call lodge.
                          >
                          > Greg in NC
                        • Johnny
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 6, 2008
                            Checked ebay and number wouldnt come up.
                            Johnny

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Delia" <dealya15@...> wrote:

                            > This lid caught my eye while searching ebay Sat. morning, & you may
                            > have missed a possible fit. It ended 9 p.m. See # 230208132685 if
                            > interested to see it.
                            >

                            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, mimtn2@ wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I was at a Lodge outlet looking for a lid to fit my 131\4"
                            skillet.
                            > They
                            > > told me that Lodge did not put the lodge on there cast iron till
                            > about 15 teen
                            > > years ago. My skillet was marked 12 made in USA. I have had it
                            > longer than my
                            > > wife and 7 kids, about 35 years. See what is on it and call lodge.
                            > >
                            > > Greg in NC

                          • Johnny
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 6, 2008
                              Found it.