Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: Chuck wagon cooking on FoodTV

Expand Messages
  • Michael Warner
    My listing says the following: Cowboy Cook-Off This annual event inspires the cowboy in us all, as we witness the amazing culinary creations these cowboys
    Message 1 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
    • 0 Attachment
      My listing says the following:

      "Cowboy Cook-Off
      This annual event inspires the cowboy in us all, as we witness the
      amazing culinary creations these cowboys make on their Chuck wagons.
      Contests can enter in any of the categories from meat, potatoes,
      dessert, wagon authenticity, and wagon travel."

      It gives 2 recipes that will be shown on the show. One for Chicken
      Fried Steak and the other for Chuckwagon Beef Stew. The show (at least
      on my cable station) is repeated 6 times between Aug 5 and the 12th.
    • David Fant
      Quite a plot. I d like to see this worked into screenplay; might not be enough for a whole movie but could be funny. Aren t most Cabela s stores bigger than
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
      • 0 Attachment
        Quite a plot. I'd like to see this worked into screenplay; might not be enough for a whole movie but could be funny.

        Aren't most Cabela's stores bigger than New Hampshire if you count the parking lot?

        David Fant
        Possum Walk Farms


        ----- Original Message -----
        From: Wenda Stephens
        To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
        Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:34 PM
        Subject: Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Chuck wagon cooking


        I will have to look to see if we have the program on our food network
        station.. I looked for Cee Dub after hearing about his show, they
        don't play it on New Hampshire channels...

        I think there is a big conspiracy in this country that probably
        starts with the homeless guy and works it's way all the way up to the
        President of the USA.. And that is to keep New Hampshire totally
        clueless about DO cooking..

        The guys who are orchestrating the "Clueless in New Hampshire" plot,
        just never got hold of the boy scouts. And they have smuggled the
        information past their noses..

        Now we got an IDOS forming.. Lets see if they make it through the
        radar.

        I will know for sure if Cabella comes to NH but does not carry and
        cast iron in it's store.

        I will keep you posted as the plot thickens.

        Wenda

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "David Fant" <dfant@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > Cool.
        >
        > Thanks for the heads-up.
        >
        > David Fant
        > Possum Walk Farms
        >
        > ----- Original Message -----
        > From: Doug Thornton
        > To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
        > Sent: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 2:07 PM
        > Subject: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Chuck wagon cooking
        >
        >
        > I noticed that this sunday the 5th at 8 ET the Food channel will
        show
        > the Chuck Wagon cookoff.
        > Doug
        >
        >
        >
        >
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >





        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Wenda Stephens
        Ha, Ha very funny.. Land we got, population is increasing, but not like other states yet. So,they may end up employing half the state. I don t know about size,
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
        • 0 Attachment
          Ha, Ha very funny.. Land we got, population is increasing, but not like
          other states yet. So,they may end up employing half the state.

          I don't know about size, but the negotiations to come in are
          interesting. Seems like the town of Hooksett is paying them, not sure
          what they get in return. Taxes go up for towns people, must pay for
          bonding for roads & construction. Cabela taxes they pay, end up being
          paid back to them!!! Why force them to pay the taxes if you end up
          paying it back to them??? Seems like you both get fedrally taxed for
          the exchange, but the town ends up with less then nothing.

          Still Hooksett wants them in. Tourist Revenue??? Love to see them here,
          but glad I don't live in the town of Hooksett.

          Wenda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "David Fant" <dfant@...> wrote:
          >
          > Quite a plot. I'd like to see this worked into screenplay; might not
          be enough for a whole movie but could be funny.
          >
          > Aren't most Cabela's stores bigger than New Hampshire if you count
          the parking lot?
          >
          > David Fant
          > Possum Walk Farms
        • David Fant
          There s always a cost and I guess the nature of big business is to shift the costs if they can. Down here in Texas an NFL owner got a free brand new stadium.
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
          • 0 Attachment
            There's always a cost and I guess the nature of big business is to shift the costs if they can.

            Down here in Texas an NFL owner got a free brand new stadium. Not saying the new stadium won't benefit area businesses and create jobs but try getting the county or the city to build you a restaurant. Not going to happen no matter how many cooks you hire.

            Not Dutch Oven related anyway. Sorry.

            I am still fascinated by Cabela's and Bass Pro and Sportsman's Warehouse and I wish I didn't have to drive 3 hours to get to one. But that's better than it was three years ago so I'll enjoy what they all have as long as they keep stocking stuff I want.

            David Fant
            Possum Walk Farms

            ----- Original Message -----
            From: Wenda Stephens
            To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
            Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2007 9:47 AM
            Subject: Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Chuck wagon cooking


            Ha, Ha very funny.. Land we got, population is increasing, but not like
            other states yet. So,they may end up employing half the state.

            I don't know about size, but the negotiations to come in are
            interesting. Seems like the town of Hooksett is paying them, not sure
            what they get in return. Taxes go up for towns people, must pay for
            bonding for roads & construction. Cabela taxes they pay, end up being
            paid back to them!!! Why force them to pay the taxes if you end up
            paying it back to them??? Seems like you both get fedrally taxed for
            the exchange, but the town ends up with less then nothing.

            Still Hooksett wants them in. Tourist Revenue??? Love to see them here,
            but glad I don't live in the town of Hooksett.

            Wenda

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "David Fant" <dfant@...> wrote:
            >
            > Quite a plot. I'd like to see this worked into screenplay; might not
            be enough for a whole movie but could be funny.
            >
            > Aren't most Cabela's stores bigger than New Hampshire if you count
            the parking lot?
            >
            > David Fant
            > Possum Walk Farms





            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Mark Hansen
            ... See, I think they figure that since you guys get to pick the next president, we ll compensate by keeping you dutchless... MRKH Mark Hansen +++++ Inspiring
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
            • 0 Attachment
              > I think there is a big conspiracy in this country
              > that probably
              > starts with the homeless guy and works it's way
              > all the way up to the
              > President of the USA.. And that is to keep New
              > Hampshire totally
              > clueless about DO cooking..
              >
              > The guys who are orchestrating the "Clueless in
              > New Hampshire" plot,
              > just never got hold of the boy scouts. And they
              > have smuggled the
              > information past their noses..
              >

              See, I think they figure that since you guys get to
              pick the next president, we'll compensate by keeping
              you dutchless...

              MRKH



              Mark Hansen

              +++++

              Inspiring rock music, free songs: http://markhansenmusic.com

              LDS lifestyle and pop culture blog http://moboy.blogspot.com

              Be a Master of Chapter and Verse! The collectible scripture card game http://chapterandversegame.com

              Recipes and Ruminations of a Dutch Oven Cook: http://marksblackpot.blogspot.com


              ____________________________________________________________________________________
              Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
              http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
            • Wenda Stephens
              WE DO!!??!! Gee, word has it the high muck-ity mucks took that away from us also. Not that we really got to pick the next president. So we got the primary
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
              • 0 Attachment
                WE DO!!??!!

                Gee, word has it the high muck-ity mucks took that away from us also.
                Not that we really got to pick the next president. So we got the
                primary first? I don't believe all the rest of you were such mindless
                sheep as to vote the way NH voted...

                Maybe that is why the Art of Dutch Ovens, is slowly pushing it's way
                through. They held our DO's for ransom until we released the primary.
                Now that they have succeeded in wrestling the primaries away from us,
                they are letting us have our DO's.

                Wow!! I knew there was a plot, but to be so diabolical and ruthless!
                No wonder we had to give in to their demands!

                Send the DO's to us faster!! Send the DO's faster!! Does anyone know
                of a DO dance I can preform that will send DO's raining down on us?
                Ouch! That one hurt!

                ---------------------------
                I was just thinking we have a little hardware store in Goffstown that
                had a little bit of cast Iron. No DO's but books and tapes and little
                things like the cast iron muffin pans.

                They are building a new 3 times larger store, I am not sure if it is
                open yet, or do to open any day now, but if they now have more room,
                Could they? Would they? Expand their cast Iron product line???

                This is worth a snoopy investigation. I may stop by on the way home,
                and inquire with the staff to see if I can get any inside information
                on any Clandestine operation they may be working on.

                Stay tuned..
                Wenda

                Wenda




                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark Hansen <mrkhmusic@...>
                wrote:
                > See, I think they figure that since you guys get to
                > pick the next president, we'll compensate by keeping
                > you dutchless...
                >
                > MRKH
                >
              • Barbara A.
                Does anyone know of a DO dance I can preform that will send DO s raining down on us? LOL!! That does NOT sound like a good idea! :-)) Corona~Barb ... Park
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                • 0 Attachment
                  "Does anyone know of a DO dance I can preform that will send DO's raining down on us? "

                  LOL!! That does NOT sound like a good idea! :-))

                  Corona~Barb


                  ---------------------------------
                  Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles.
                  Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.

                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Gary Wilkins
                  Come to Arizona. We ll teach you the DO dance. It s similar to the fish dance. Or the salmon dance. The salmon dance came to us from Washingtom Gary
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Come to Arizona. We'll teach you the DO dance. It's similar to the
                    fish dance. Or the salmon dance. The salmon dance came to us from
                    Washingtom

                    Gary
                  • Wenda Stephens
                    Sure... You guys get all the cool dances too. Wenda
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                    • 0 Attachment
                      Sure... You guys get all the cool dances too.

                      Wenda

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Wilkins" <ggwilkins@...>
                      wrote:
                      >
                      > Come to Arizona. We'll teach you the DO dance. It's similar to the
                      > fish dance. Or the salmon dance. The salmon dance came to us from
                      > Washingtom
                      >
                      > Gary
                      >
                    • Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                      The last time they showed this, it was coverage of the Ruidoso Chuckwagon cookoff from 2005. They showed our wagon a few times as we pounded out our chicken
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                      • 0 Attachment
                        The last time they showed this, it was coverage of the
                        Ruidoso Chuckwagon cookoff from 2005. They showed our
                        wagon a few times as we pounded out our chicken fried
                        steaks and sorted beans. There were 26 wagons entered
                        in the event and will always hold a special place in
                        my memories. When i got up at 3am to start the fire
                        and get the beans on, I remember the feelings I had as
                        I glanced over the chuckwagon area. Most camps had a
                        single kerosene lantern dimly lighting the back of the
                        chuckbox area as a lone cookie was beginning their
                        preparations also for the days events. It was as if I
                        had stepped back 100 years or so. Smells of mesquite
                        wood burning, grassy area lit by moonlight, and a
                        peaceful quiet serenity. Was a long day of work, but
                        worth every minute and sore muscle I experienced.

                        Mark

                        --- Michael Warner <mwarner51@...> wrote:

                        > My listing says the following:
                        >
                        > "Cowboy Cook-Off
                        > This annual event inspires the cowboy in us all, as
                        > we witness the
                        > amazing culinary creations these cowboys make on
                        > their Chuck wagons.
                        > Contests can enter in any of the categories from
                        > meat, potatoes,
                        > dessert, wagon authenticity, and wagon travel."
                        >
                        > It gives 2 recipes that will be shown on the show.
                        > One for Chicken
                        > Fried Steak and the other for Chuckwagon Beef Stew.
                        > The show (at least
                        > on my cable station) is repeated 6 times between Aug
                        > 5 and the 12th.
                        >
                        >




                        ____________________________________________________________________________________
                        Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                        that gives answers, not web links.
                        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC
                      • Wenda Stephens
                        Sounds really wonderful. You making me anticipate seeing this show all the more, although I do not think any TV show could capture that feeling, even if they
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                        • 0 Attachment
                          Sounds really wonderful. You making me anticipate seeing this show all
                          the more, although I do not think any TV show could capture that
                          feeling, even if they got up at 3 to film it. That is something you
                          have to be a part of to truely experience.

                          Wenda

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                          <barb7513@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >...Most camps had a
                          > single kerosene lantern dimly lighting the back of the
                          > chuckbox area as a lone cookie was beginning their
                          > preparations also for the days events. It was as if I
                          > had stepped back 100 years or so. Smells of mesquite
                          > wood burning, grassy area lit by moonlight, and a
                          > peaceful quiet serenity. ...
                          >
                          > Mark
                        • Cyndie Mac
                          WOW! I don t comment much in this group, but THANKS Mark for sharing this memory with us. You brought the sights and smells right into our hearts. I think
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                          • 0 Attachment
                            WOW! I don't comment much in this group, but THANKS Mark for sharing this memory with us. You brought the sights and smells right into our hearts. I think there is something is ALL of us "DO enthusiasts" that relish the olden days. To be able to step back and feel part of this must be awesome.

                            Are you the Mark that Patricia Hernandez has spoken so kindly about? She just came up for our last DOG weekend and we all had a great time.

                            Cyndie Mac
                            Sequoia Dutch Ovens, Porterville California Chapter of IDOS

                            Mark & Barbara Wilkins <barb7513@...> wrote:
                            . When i got up at 3am to start the fire
                            and get the beans on, I remember the feelings I had as
                            I glanced over the chuckwagon area. Most camps had a
                            single kerosene lantern dimly lighting the back of the
                            chuckbox area as a lone cookie was beginning their
                            preparations also for the days events. It was as if I
                            had stepped back 100 years or so. Smells of mesquite
                            wood burning, grassy area lit by moonlight, and a
                            peaceful quiet serenity. Was a long day of work, but
                            worth every minute and sore muscle I experienced.

                            Mark

                            --- Michael Warner <mwarner51@...> wrote:

                            > My listing says the following:
                            >
                            > "Cowboy Cook-Off
                            > This annual event inspires the cowboy in us all, as
                            > we witness the
                            > amazing culinary creations these cowboys make on
                            > their Chuck wagons.
                            > Contests can enter in any of the categories from
                            > meat, potatoes,
                            > dessert, wagon authenticity, and wagon travel."
                            >
                            > It gives 2 recipes that will be shown on the show.
                            > One for Chicken
                            > Fried Steak and the other for Chuckwagon Beef Stew.
                            > The show (at least
                            > on my cable station) is repeated 6 times between Aug
                            > 5 and the 12th.
                            >
                            >

                            __________________________________________________________
                            Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally, mobile search
                            that gives answers, not web links.
                            http://mobile.yahoo.com/mobileweb/onesearch?refer=1ONXIC





                            ---------------------------------
                            Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase.

                            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                          • Ronda
                            That really sounds awesome Mark - and memorable. I don t usually get up too early when camping, but your post made me want to get up early and cook. We love
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                            • 0 Attachment
                              That really sounds awesome Mark - and memorable. I don't usually
                              get up too early when camping, but your post made me want to get up
                              early and cook. We love cooking over a campfire, we should do that
                              more often and forget the charcoal. Thanks for posting this. Ronda

                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                              <barb7513@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > The last time they showed this, it was coverage of the
                              > Ruidoso Chuckwagon cookoff from 2005. They showed our
                              > wagon a few times as we pounded out our chicken fried
                              > steaks and sorted beans. There were 26 wagons entered
                              > in the event and will always hold a special place in
                              > my memories. When i got up at 3am to start the fire
                              > and get the beans on, I remember the feelings I had as
                              > I glanced over the chuckwagon area. Most camps had a
                              > single kerosene lantern dimly lighting the back of the
                              > chuckbox area as a lone cookie was beginning their
                              > preparations also for the days events. It was as if I
                              > had stepped back 100 years or so. Smells of mesquite
                              > wood burning, grassy area lit by moonlight, and a
                              > peaceful quiet serenity. Was a long day of work, but
                              > worth every minute and sore muscle I experienced.
                              >
                              > Mark
                              >
                            • Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                              Don t believe a word Pat says.........she fibs..... Mark, guilty as charged ...
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 2, 2007
                              • 0 Attachment
                                Don't believe a word Pat says.........she fibs.....

                                Mark, guilty as charged


                                --- Cyndie Mac <iba4x4mom@...> wrote:

                                > WOW! I don't comment much in this group, but THANKS
                                > Mark for sharing this memory with us. You brought
                                > the sights and smells right into our hearts. I think
                                > there is something is ALL of us "DO enthusiasts"
                                > that relish the olden days. To be able to step back
                                > and feel part of this must be awesome.
                                >
                                > Are you the Mark that Patricia Hernandez has
                                > spoken so kindly about? She just came up for our
                                > last DOG weekend and we all had a great time.
                                >
                                > Cyndie Mac
                                > Sequoia Dutch Ovens, Porterville California
                                > Chapter of IDOS



                                ____________________________________________________________________________________
                                Fussy? Opinionated? Impossible to please? Perfect. Join Yahoo!'s user panel and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7
                              • icookforcrowds
                                My family/friends and I have only used charcoal once (we were in Oklahoma last summer cooking for my cousins and didn t realize til we got there that there was
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 3, 2007
                                • 0 Attachment
                                  My family/friends and I have only used charcoal once (we were in
                                  Oklahoma last summer cooking for my cousins and didn't realize til we
                                  got there that there was a drought and a burn-ban) and we've used
                                  wood the rest of the time. My great interest in life has been the
                                  pioneers and how they traveled and lived so cooking like they did
                                  with wood has been really fun for me (never used buffalo chips
                                  though.....don't think I will anytime soon). Thanks for the cool
                                  description of the experience!


                                  --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ronda" <rlb_51@...> wrote:
                                  >
                                  > That really sounds awesome Mark - and memorable. I don't usually
                                  > get up too early when camping, but your post made me want to get up
                                  > early and cook. We love cooking over a campfire, we should do that
                                  > more often and forget the charcoal. Thanks for posting this. Ronda
                                  >
                                  > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                                  > <barb7513@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > The last time they showed this, it was coverage of the
                                  > > Ruidoso Chuckwagon cookoff from 2005. They showed our
                                  > > wagon a few times as we pounded out our chicken fried
                                  > > steaks and sorted beans. There were 26 wagons entered
                                  > > in the event and will always hold a special place in
                                  > > my memories. When i got up at 3am to start the fire
                                  > > and get the beans on, I remember the feelings I had as
                                  > > I glanced over the chuckwagon area. Most camps had a
                                  > > single kerosene lantern dimly lighting the back of the
                                  > > chuckbox area as a lone cookie was beginning their
                                  > > preparations also for the days events. It was as if I
                                  > > had stepped back 100 years or so. Smells of mesquite
                                  > > wood burning, grassy area lit by moonlight, and a
                                  > > peaceful quiet serenity. Was a long day of work, but
                                  > > worth every minute and sore muscle I experienced.
                                  > >
                                  > > Mark
                                  > >
                                  >
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.