New from Alaska

  • Aimee Beech
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
      Hello,
      I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and recipes.
      I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am wondering
      what a Dutch Oven Table is.
      Thanks,
      Aimee
    • Johnny
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
        Look in the photo section and you will see some.
        Johnny

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Aimee Beech" <jabeech@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello,
        > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and recipes.
        > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am wondering
        > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
        > Thanks,
        > Aimee

      • Bob Prager
        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
          A dutch oven table is a metal table at approximately waist height that
          you can put burning charcoal on and place the dutch oven on top of the
          charcoal. It's a way around fire-on-the-ground restrictions, and for
          those of us like me past 60, avoids having to bend over to stir or
          manipulate the dutch oven. Most dutch oven equipment vendors offer
          them, in various versions (with or without side shelves, wind screens,
          and storage).

          Bob Prager

          On 6/30/07, Aimee Beech <jabeech@...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and recipes.
          > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am wondering
          > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
          > Thanks,
          > Aimee
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this group,
          > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
          > Then click on "Leave Group".
          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Aimee Beech
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
            ---Ok, I see, sonds handy. What has been your experience(if any)
            with the tri-pod for camp fires? Are they sturdy, etc? I am trying to
            check out my options!
            Thanks,
            Aimee

            In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Prager" <pragerr@...> wrote:

            > A dutch oven table is a metal table at approximately waist height
            that
            > you can put burning charcoal on and place the dutch oven on top of
            the
            > charcoal. It's a way around fire-on-the-ground restrictions, and for
            > those of us like me past 60, avoids having to bend over to stir or
            > manipulate the dutch oven. Most dutch oven equipment vendors offer
            > them, in various versions (with or without side shelves, wind
            screens,
            > and storage).
            >
            > Bob Prager
            >
            > On 6/30/07, Aimee Beech <jabeech@...> wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and
            recipes.
            > > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am
            wondering
            > > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
            > > Thanks,
            > > Aimee
            > >

            > > To unsubscribe from this group,
            > > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
            page.
            > > Then click on "Leave Group".
            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Aimee Beech
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
              --- I have another couple of questions,
              I have noticed that there are alot of non-Lodge brand Dutch ovens out
              there. What are your opinions on the quality, or does it not matter?
              Also, I have a family of 4, but when we are camping we usually go in
              a group of 6-8. What size DO do you reccomend? I have a 4qt for at
              home.
              Thanks,
              Aimee

              In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Prager" <pragerr@...> wrote:

              > A dutch oven table is a metal table at approximately waist height
              that
              > you can put burning charcoal on and place the dutch oven on top of
              the
              > charcoal. It's a way around fire-on-the-ground restrictions, and for
              > those of us like me past 60, avoids having to bend over to stir or
              > manipulate the dutch oven. Most dutch oven equipment vendors offer
              > them, in various versions (with or without side shelves, wind
              screens,
              > and storage).
              >
              > Bob Prager
              >
              > On 6/30/07, Aimee Beech <jabeech@...> wrote:
              > > Hello,
              > > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and
              recipes.
              > > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am
              wondering
              > > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
              > > Thanks,
              > > Aimee
              > >

              > > To unsubscribe from this group,
              > > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main
              page.
              > > Then click on "Leave Group".
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ronda
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                Aimee - Everyone has their own opinion as to which brand Dutch oven is
                best. I think you'll hear that Lodge & CampChef are most popular,
                although most of us have a mixture. Mine are mostly Lodge, a couple
                CampChefs, and a couple "no name" ovens. I use them all.

                For camping, I think 12" deep is good. We have 3 that size, and
                those, along with the 12" regulars, are what we most often use when
                camping with a group.

                Hope that helps, and welcome to the group! Ronda

                wrote:

                > --- I have another couple of questions,
                > I have noticed that there are alot of non-Lodge brand Dutch ovens
                out
                > there. What are your opinions on the quality, or does it not matter?
                > Also, I have a family of 4, but when we are camping we usually go in
                > a group of 6-8. What size DO do you reccomend? I have a 4qt for at
                > home.
                > Thanks,
                > Aimee

              • Ronda
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                  We use a tripod a lot when we're camping if we have a campfire going
                  anyway. We like them for beans, soup, chili, etc. I've never tried
                  baking anything over a fire though. Ronda

                  wrote:

                  > ---Ok, I see, sonds handy. What has been your experience(if any)
                  > with the tri-pod for camp fires? Are they sturdy, etc? I am trying
                  > check out my options!
                  > Thanks,
                  > Aimee
                  >
                  > In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Prager" <pragerr@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > A dutch oven table is a metal table at approximately waist
                  height
                  > that
                  > > you can put burning charcoal on and place the dutch oven on top
                  of
                  > the
                  > > charcoal. It's a way around fire-on-the-ground restrictions, and
                  for
                  > > those of us like me past 60, avoids having to bend over to stir
                  or
                  > > manipulate the dutch oven. Most dutch oven equipment vendors
                  offer
                  > > them, in various versions (with or without side shelves, wind
                  > screens,
                  > > and storage).
                  > >
                  > > Bob Prager

                • Wenda Stephens
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                    Hi Aimee,

                    I saw your message over at camp-recipe and tried to post to you there.
                    For some reason today the posts are going out slowly, it may be that my
                    posts are still monitered there and the moniter person is away.

                    Anyway I enjoy both these sites and the campcookinwithdacap.. They seem
                    to be the livelest and most informative (of course there may be many
                    others, I do not wish to slight, but those are the camp ones I have so
                    far tried, and all are great.)

                    You were looking for recipes.. This site has on the left side a link
                    called files and you will find recipe books there as well as other
                    things. All the sites have knowledgeable people and I am starting to
                    see common names at all of them too. (not me, I am still a newbie.. I
                    still ask silly things and my opinions are usually responded to by
                    people who are kind enough to nicely slap my hand and then lead me down
                    the correct path...)

                    I am learning alot from these groups and I am sure you will too.

                    I got the DO table this year so I can do more DO cooking. Before this
                    year it was only when we went camping for a week or two. This year I am
                    cooking with it much like my home BBQ. The table does help for making
                    things easier.

                    12 inch DO are what are recommeded for our BS troops which average
                    patrol sizes of about 8 people. I have a 12, 10 and 8.. The 12 would
                    probably work for everything, but I tend to use the 8 for side dishes
                    like last night I did scallop potatoes in it. Really all 3 come in
                    handy although if I had a do over, I would have bought the 12" deep
                    rather then normal, as the normal is a little shallow for a full
                    chicken. (I kind of squished it in and the bones collapsed as it
                    cooked. But I got some instruction on how to butterfly a chicken & I
                    may try that next time.)

                    Today I made two round cakes that where suppose to drop out for a
                    layered cake, but I flunked that.. (But, then I do in an oven with
                    normal cake pans. So what's new?) I am aleast trying and I have seen
                    successes and failures.. But with all of it I am learning.

                    Wenda
                    wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and recipes.
                    > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am wondering
                    > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Aimee

                  • Gary
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                      There are pictures of our Dutch Oven Tables at www.seattledutchovenguys.com,
                      if you want to see what one type looks like, Aimee

                      Gary in Seattle

                      A dutch oven table is a metal table at approximately waist height that
                      you can put burning charcoal on and place the dutch oven on top of the
                      charcoal. It's a way around fire-on-the-ground restrictions, and for
                      those of us like me past 60, avoids having to bend over to stir or
                      manipulate the dutch oven. Most dutch oven equipment vendors offer
                      them, in various versions (with or without side shelves, wind screens,
                      and storage).

                      Bob Prager

                      On 6/30/07, Aimee Beech <jabeech@...> wrote:
                      > Hello,
                      > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and recipes.
                      > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am wondering
                      > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
                      > Thanks,
                      > Aimee
                      >

                      > To unsubscribe from this group,
                      > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                      > Then click on "Leave Group".
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Kristie Jones
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                        Hello fellow sourdough!

                        Although we left AK in 86 It still lives within me. I still have my cast iron chicken fryer that we took camping with us everywhere up there. I think it has as many miles on it as I do. It was used to do prawn scampi in Homer, halibut, moose, caribou and salmon and the occasional trout all over that state! Although we live on the Texas gulf coast now and travel throughout the state as living history reenactors in the early 1800's, many a campfire chats have taken place with that chicken fryer as a witness to the tales and trails of a beloved country as far north as a man can go and to the southern border. I used to have a halibut recipe that we would make with the canned french fried onion rings and I think cream of mushroom soup, but have lost it along the way, Cast iron also makes the best sourdough pancakes with fresh picked berries, a wonderful memory from Hope Alaska and Resurrection Creek.....ahhhhhh........................

                        Gary <glb49@...> wrote: There are pictures of our Dutch Oven Tables at www.seattledutchovenguys.com,
                        if you want to see what one type looks like, Aimee

                        Gary in Seattle

                        A dutch oven table is a metal table at approximately waist height that
                        you can put burning charcoal on and place the dutch oven on top of the
                        charcoal. It's a way around fire-on-the-ground restrictions, and for
                        those of us like me past 60, avoids having to bend over to stir or
                        manipulate the dutch oven. Most dutch oven equipment vendors offer
                        them, in various versions (with or without side shelves, wind screens,
                        and storage).

                        Bob Prager

                        On 6/30/07, Aimee Beech <jabeech@...> wrote:
                        > Hello,
                        > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your tips and recipes.
                        > I have been reading over some of the previous posts, and am wondering
                        > what a Dutch Oven Table is.
                        > Thanks,
                        > Aimee
                        >

                        > To unsubscribe from this group,
                        > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                        > Then click on "Leave Group".
                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Aimee Beech
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                          --- Hi!
                          Sounds like you have many wonderful memories! I live in the Mat-Su
                          Valley, although we will be going to Homer in two weeks for fishing.
                          Halibut fishing and Salmon dip netting. We have a little 13ft.
                          vintage travel trailer we have restored. My husband works on the
                          slope, and during the two weeks he has off we just hook up and go
                          whenever we want. I will try to get some Alaskan recipes for dutch
                          ovens posted soon.
                          Aimee
                          In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Kristie Jones
                          <quintanabreeze@...> wrote:

                          > Hello fellow sourdough!
                          >
                          > Although we left AK in 86 It still lives within me. I still have
                          my cast iron chicken fryer that we took camping with us everywhere up
                          there. I think it has as many miles on it as I do. It was used to
                          do prawn scampi in Homer, halibut, moose, caribou and salmon and the
                          occasional trout all over that state! Although we live on the Texas
                          gulf coast now and travel throughout the state as living history
                          reenactors in the early 1800's, many a campfire chats have taken
                          place with that chicken fryer as a witness to the tales and trails of
                          a beloved country as far north as a man can go and to the southern
                          border. I used to have a halibut recipe that we would make with the
                          canned french fried onion rings and I think cream of mushroom soup,
                          but have lost it along the way, Cast iron also makes the best
                          sourdough pancakes with fresh picked berries, a wonderful memory from
                          Hope Alaska and Resurrection Creek.....ahhhhhh........................

                          > Gary <glb49@...> wrote: There are
                          pictures of our Dutch Oven Tables at www.seattledutchovenguys.com,
                          > if you want to see what one type looks like, Aimee
                          >
                          > Gary in Seattle

                        • JULIE JORDAN
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 30, 2007
                            Hi Aimee,
                            I too wish I had started off with a 12" deep, mostly
                            for yeast rolls so they could raise. However, recipes
                            that require 9x13 dish convert right over for a 12"
                            DO, regular or deep. I think the 12" DO is the most
                            often used by beginners.
                            And Wenda,
                            I too have had a few "cake" disasters. You might want
                            to try parchment paper and/or Pam cooking spray with
                            the flour in it.
                            Have fun with your successes (may they be many) and
                            errors, (may they be few ) {grin} julie from San
                            Berdoo
                            --- Wenda Stephens <wendavcs@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > collapsed as it
                            > cooked. But I got some instruction on how to
                            > butterfly a chicken & I
                            > may try that next time.)
                            >
                            > Today I made two round cakes that where suppose to
                            > drop out for a
                            > layered cake, but I flunked that.. (But, then I do
                            > in an oven with
                            > normal cake pans. So what's new?) I am aleast trying
                            > and I have seen
                            > successes and failures.. But with all of it I am
                            > learning.
                            >
                            > Wenda
                            > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Aimee
                            > Beech" <jabeech@...>
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hello,
                            > > I'm Aimee, I am very excited to learn all of your
                            > tips and recipes.
                            > > I have been reading over some of the previous

                            Don't pick lemons.
                            See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
                            http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007
                              Good Afternoon Wenda,

                              I have been watching your evolvement in the Yahoo Groups. I also read your
                              great response to Aimee on this group. I am officially diagnosing you with
                              Castironitis! By the way... that is a good thing around here!

                              LA Bear

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                              3:10 PM
                            • Wenda Stephens
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jul 1, 2007
                                Ha, Ha.. very funny!

                                I am enjoying it but today I am going to make a Weight Watchers
                                recipe, as I am following that plan, and with my DO cooking so far, I
                                have been bad (Really, really bad). (Luckily the last 2 weeks haven't
                                ratted me out to my group, but if I don't kick myself it is bound to
                                sneak up on me soon!).

                                I figure if I have to have Castitonitis, I've got to make this work
                                with the rest of my goals and not throw one goal out to obtain
                                another.

                                I promise to oil my DO after cooking the less greasy meal.

                                Wenda

                                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert"
                                <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                                > Good Afternoon Wenda,
                                >
                                > I have been watching your evolvement in the Yahoo Groups. I also
                                read your
                                > great response to Aimee on this group. I am officially diagnosing
                                you with
                                > Castironitis! By the way... that is a good thing around here!
                                >
                                > LA Bear

                                > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                6/30/2007