Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: Goodbye Alex The Meat Man

  • lilmame
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
      My sister worked at a plant in
      Washington state that cut the meat off the bones before it was cooled to package. Not aging at all. No wonder we need much seasoning to make our food taste like anything.

      Lillie

    • Heidi B
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
        Ronda, out here in California, I have been buying an extra pig raised by
        4-H members every couple of years, one that just didn;t quite make it to
        the fair Weight....... And we have an outstanding butcher out here, that
        goes out and kills it, cuts it and wraps it just the way I want. They
        make some of the tastiest SPICY HOT ground sausage I have ever had. I am
        not a big fan of a lot of Hams........... So I requested that they make
        ham steaks out of several of the hams, I will use those more often than the
        full hams. They package the pork chops in the serving sizes I request,
        and everything is vacuum sealed....... Which is the only way to go.........
        ...... I guess I am lucky to have a butcher that goes out of there way to
        please the customer.
        Heidi

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
          Hyd - I may check with some of our farmer friends, they may know of
          a better source. What you're talking about sounds so good! We used
          to get whole hogs & have them butchered, but the place where we had
          them done is no more. Just haven't found any other place as good.
          Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Heidi B" <samandheidi@...>
          wrote:

          > Ronda, out here in California, I have been buying an extra pig
          raised by
          > 4-H members every couple of years, one that just didn;t quite
          make it to
          > the fair Weight....... And we have an outstanding butcher out
          here, that
          > goes out and kills it, cuts it and wraps it just the way I
          want. They
          > make some of the tastiest SPICY HOT ground sausage I have ever
          had. I am
          > not a big fan of a lot of Hams........... So I requested that
          they make
          > ham steaks out of several of the hams, I will use those more
          often than the
          > full hams. They package the pork chops in the serving sizes I
          request,
          > and everything is vacuum sealed....... Which is the only way to
          go.........
          > ...... I guess I am lucky to have a butcher that goes out of
          there way to
          > please the customer.
          > Heidi

        • Heidi B
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 30, 2007
            It is so worth it Ronda, I can't Imagine you living in Kansas that there
            isn't some good ole home boy butchers around........... Giggle...........
            Hyd

            wrote:

            > Ronda, out here in California, I have been buying an extra pig
            raised by
            > 4-H members every couple of years, one that just didn;t quite
            make it to
            > the fair Weight....... And we have an outstanding butcher out
            here, that
            > goes out and kills it, cuts it and wraps it just the way I
            want. They
            > make some of the tastiest SPICY HOT ground sausage I have ever
            had. I am
            > not a big fan of a lot of Hams........... So I requested that
            they make
            > ham steaks out of several of the hams, I will use those more
            often than the
            > full hams. They package the pork chops in the serving sizes I
            request,
            > and everything is vacuum sealed....... Which is the only way to
            go.........
            > ...... I guess I am lucky to have a butcher that goes out of
            there way to
            > please the customer.
            > Heidi

            Messages in this topic (0) Reply (via web post) | Start a new topic
            Messages | Files | Photos | Links | Database | Polls | Calendar
            Then click on "Leave Group".

            Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch format
            to Traditional
            14New Members
            21New Photos
            1New Files