hello

  • Elaine Wilson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2007
      Hello Group!

      I'm Elaine Wilson, from Hayneville, Alabama (20 miles west of Montgomery).

      My husband Harold and I have been 'horse camping' for about 20 years. We started out really primitive. After reaching our destination on Friday night, often in the dark, we'd sweep out the horse manure and convert our stock trailer for our bedroom. Two lounge chairs with sleeping bags on them. I'll save the early camp cooking failures for later entertainment! LOL

      Every year or two we'd upgrade and finally bought a Sundowner horse trailer with Living Quarters. Queen size bed in the gooseneck, A/C, sofa that would sleep two, 2 burner stove, sink with hot water, small refrigerator, microwave, shower, a REAL commode and a 20-foot awning! Put away all the camping gear we had accumlated and I did all the cooking in the trailer, while everybody else had fun around the campfire.

      Now 10 years later, we still sleep in our trailer, but we are doing more cooking outside. Thus our interest in Dutch Oven Cooking.

      Somewhere along the way, we started doing email 'Ride Reports' that we'd share with our friends. I have condensed the one from a camp/ride we did the first of May. Two of our friends had a "Show-Off". If anyone wants to read the long version, email me privately campfirecalories@... and I'll send it to you.

      When you read the newsletter, I think you'll understand why I choose my ID!

      Looking forward to learning from the experience cooks on the group.

      Lane
      * * * * * * * * * *

      2007-05-02 ‘FIVE STAR DINING’ TRAIL RIDE AT WARDEN STATION HORSE CAMP

      To see the photos we took, copy and paste, or click on this link:
      http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=k4qtmvb.cbvtl2o3&x=1&h=1&y=561jqb

      Several months ago, I left out the food descriptions. I was shocked at how many of our friends wrote to complain. So for those of you who say you can smell the food cooking; you are really going to love this report!

      While sitting around the campfire one night at Coldwater during our annual New Year’s vacation there, we all decided to go to Warden Station in late April to ride and camp AND have a Dutch Oven Cooking “Show-Off”. Not really a competition, just everybody showing off their expertise, cooking in Dutch ovens, over the campfire. And I can assure you that our group had been doing some SERIOUS practicing!

      We pulled out of our driveway at 9:50am, on Friday, April 27, 2007, and arrived at Warden Station Horse Camp, in the Talladega National Forest near Heflin, AL just before 1:30pm. We were the last of our group to arrive. Already set up were our Alabama friends Lee Lawrence of Tallassee; Rich, Toni and Jessica Prater of Prattville; Mischelle Park of Wetumpka; Beth Hart of Dadeville; and Craig Bradley of Locust Fork. Don & Susen Shields had traveled from Newnan, GA.

      As Susen and I rode out of camp headed for the Red trail, Don was starting a campfire to have a good bed of coals for cooking. The Red trail is an intermediate trail with lots of hills, great views, and several water crossings. Not long, but just right for a short ride.

      For this weekend, each family was responsible for one complete meal for our group. They would plan, cook, serve and clean up! Nice idea really! A whole weekend and only one meal to worry about. Lunch was ‘on your own’.

      I thought I had heard Lane say that Don was cooking “chicken” but didn’t really pay a lot of attention to the menu. He is an accomplished campfire cook and I knew it would all be very good. When Susen and I got back to camp, she made the salad and it was time to eat.

      DON & SUSEN’S FRIDAY NIGHT MENU:
      Roasted Cornish Game Hens with fresh Rosemary and herbs
      Cranberry Orange Almond sauce
      Buttered dill asparagus
      Sweet Potatoes with maple syrup, bacon and jalapeno sauce
      Chopped Salad, Four Seasons - Vegas Style: mixed lettuce, chopped pecans, white grapes, pea pods, apples, crumbled blue cheese, scallions tossed with Cherry Balsamic Vinaigrette.
      Roasted Garlic Buttered French bread
      Blueberry Dump Cake with whipped cream

      Everything except the bread and salad dressing was made from scratch. Oh, I did see a can of real whipped cream, the good kind with all the fat and calories! Even though each person was served half a hen, we were so full; we had to wait a while before we could have dessert. But thanks to the cast iron pot, it was still warm and delicious. Luckily, we ate supper in chairs around the campfire, because nobody wanted to get up and walk anywhere else.

      Craig and Beth don’t do much cooking in camp and neither eats breakfast. They both want to do their part and contribute to the meals. Usually, Craig and his good friend “Mrs. Smith” work together and he brings a hot apple cobbler to group meals for dessert. Beth is an expert with meat on a grill. Well, for this particular weekend, it just worked out that they were to do a breakfast. Lane told them they could do anything they wanted, even corn flakes and milk. They decided on a variety of sweet rolls, juice and coffee. There were Apple Fritters, Pecan-Raisin Cinnamon Rolls, and Raspberry Twists, to name a few. The leftovers were great as snacks the rest of the weekend.

      After breakfast everybody saddled up. The White trail is the short trail so we were back in camp in about 2 hours. The trail is an easy trail that still has several water crossings and some good views. The highlight of the trail is the Shoal Creek Church http://www.shoalcreekchurch.net . This is an old log church that is still used sometimes. When we got back to camp we decided we would take a lunch break and go back out on a longer trail.

      Susen made sandwiches for lunch to use up the leftovers. After de-boning the hens, she spread whole wheat bread with the cranberry-orange-almond sauce, a slice of Swiss cheese and the meat. Subway better look out. Susen could put them out of business! I think Lane needs to get the recipe for that sauce and I’ll use it instead of mustard on my sandwiches at home. I did sit down to eat the sandwich, before another ride.

      After the sandwich, I walked up to the crowd at Lee’s trailer, to see that Lee was just starting a fire to cook supper and Don wanted to help (actually I think he wanted to steal ideas from Lee). Linda and Beth said they were going to watch Lee cook too. Susen and I mounted and rode out the Red trail again. Our timing was perfect and we got back just in time to take care of the horses when "Supper's Ready" was announced.

      LEE’S SATURDAY DINNER MENU:
      Veal Parmesan
      Herb Roasted Red Potatoes
      Sautéed Spinach with Banana Peppers, Onions and Fresh Garlic
      Roasted Garlic Buttered French bread
      Pineapple Upside-down Cake

      Except for Lee’s bread, everything was made from scratch and I know he used lots of fresh herbs. The whole meal was wonderful! As on Friday night, everybody was so full, we had to sit around the campfire and let our dinner settle a while, to have room for dessert.

      Mischelle was in charge of breakfast and had planned to have hot scrambled bacon & egg sandwiches. Lee had more veal than he needed on Saturday night, so we had steak and eggs with toast instead. Time to ride!

      As soon as we got back to camp, Susen made a big Hero Sandwich. I think she must have gotten at least 8 slices out of it. Lane went to our trailer and brought over Frito's and Shoe-peg Corn Dip. Our regular camping friends have eaten this dip before, and we only have to tell them once that it is on the table! I saw Susen put some on her sandwich and I made a mental note to try that next time. I may give up mustard!

      The Yellow trail is about 16 miles long but you can get on the middle of it where it crosses the road about a half-mile from camp. I thought half of the Yellow trail would be just right, to be back in time for supper. Our timing was perfect. Just after we had our mounts taken care of, Rich had his “Dutch Oven Show-Off” ready.

      As delicious as it was, after two nights of big meals, I was ready for something a little ‘lighter’ and Rich’s Taco Soup was perfect! I had heard of Taco Soup, and Lane even has a recipe she has been meaning to try, but we had never eaten it. We like Mexican foods and were excited to try something new. I think I was expecting something that would taste like a Taco filling with a lot of juice. But now, I think I’d describe it as soupy chili, improved, with more ingredients. I especially liked the smoked sausages in it. All I can say is that it was really good and I was happy when Lane said she wanted the recipe. Now don’t get me wrong, Lane makes a very good chili. It’s just that she has been using the same recipe for 30 years and it’s time to update it. I’m happy to eat her chili anytime, but variety will be great. I hope I said that right or I may get really hungry!

      Monday morning stared off with Lane making Blueberry pancakes, with warm syrup and crisp sausages. I even took some leftovers, minus the syrup of course, with me on the trail for my lunch. Craig and I headed out for the Blue trail. According to Craig’s GPS we rode 21 miles.

      We had not been back in camp very long when a Search and Rescue volunteer drove up, towing a 4-wheeler. He informed us that a couple of ladies had called 911 saying they were on the Blue Trail and it had just ended. They did not know where they were and it was only a couple of hours before it would be dark. We suggested where we thought they might be.

      Beth cooked steak kabobs on her new portable grill. She told us they were appetizers but she had enough for a whole meal. Beth also cooked the venison tenderloin and back strap that Lane had marinated in Dale’s sauce.

      One of the volunteers stopped by to tell us that they had found the lost ladies. Thank goodness they were found before dark. They brought them back to camp to get their truck and trailer to drive back to pick up their horses. The ladies came back to the horse camp to water and take care of their horses. We went to see if they needed any help and chatted with them for a while. They told us that they had ridden there several times but this was their first time on the Blue trail. It was obvious that they were relieved to be back on familiar ground. We invited them to rest at our camp and they had venison chili with us before driving home.

      When we got home, I was trying to figure out how to ‘rate’ this ride. When I went to take a shower, I decided it was a One-Tick-Ride. I found one hiding at my waistband. Then I got on the scale and decided it was a Five-Pound-Ride. I had gained 5 pounds over the weekend.

      I hope you enjoyed reading about our food over the weekend? I sure did, and I still am. I have eaten NOTHING but leftovers since we got back. We are staying home this weekend. We will go to our grandson Dylan’s ballgame tomorrow and I’m afraid I heard Lane say something about a Honey-Do list.

      We hope to see y'all down the trails. Until next time .....Don’t just ride ..... G L I D E !

      Harold and Lane

    • BISCUIT
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
        Hey Neighbor!

        I enjoyed your article about your rides. The only thing I see is... I
        was not there. OH! It sounds so good.

        My name is Biscuit and my hometown is Montgomery. So...Howdy Neighbor!
        I relocated to Clinton, MS. about 26 years ago. Mama nad Dad moved me
        to Mississippi in a pick up truck. One year later I met Sugar Booger
        and the next we were married.
        She is my cooking partner.

        Looking forward to hearing about your rides. If you ever need a
        cookie..just give us a call.
        Biscuit
      • JULIE JORDAN
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2007
          Hi Elaine,
          Sure enjoyed reading about your ride(s) AND your
          delicious menus. Sounds like you folks can really put
          together a MEAL! I'm Julie from California and do
          most of my cooking at our Chapters DOGs, for Girl
          Scouts, or for our family camping trips. I'm cooking
          for my son and daughter-in-laws High School Bible
          Study group this summer at the beach for four days so
          I'm sure to be put to the test. But I think kids this
          age will eat just about anything when they've been at
          the beach all day. Hope to hear some more from you
          all soon. Julie from San Berdoo

          === message truncated ===

          that gives answers, not web links.