dump cake question

  • kandthunt
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
      I guess I'll have to come out of lurkedome so that I can ask a
      question that I'm sure you all know the answer to.

      What is your basic recipe for a dump cake? It's been fun reading
      about all the different combos, but I'm kind of new to this so a basic
      recipe would be helpful.

      Thanks!
    • Wendy
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 1, 2007
        Let’s see, the most basic dump cake recipe in its most general form would
        be:

        For a 12” DO:

        Pour 2 cans of pie filling in the bottom of the oven.

        Sprinkle on some nuts, or , coconut, or brown sugar if it sounds good.

        Pour one dry cake mix over the fruit.

        Drizzle one can of soda pop over the dry cake mix.

        Bake 40 to 50 minutes.

        Viola!

        Depending on the cake and fruit choices, some folks put pats of butter on
        top, some sprinkle cinnamon or brown sugar. Some use some apple sauce. The
        posts over the last few days have shown that the choice of what fruit/pie
        filling and what flavor cake mix and soda are endless Dr pepper and cola
        work well with chocolate cake mixes. Lighter cake mixes do well with 7-up,
        orange soda, cherry soda, etc, depending on the fruit and cake flavors.

        By the way, dumping the fruit and dry cake mix in, and drizzling the soda on
        is a crowd pleasing spectator sport. Your family and friends will be sure it
        can’t possibly work without mixing. When you serve the finished product,
        they will be totally amazed and your reputation as an outdoor kitchen
        magician will skyrocket.

        Iron Chef Wendy

        _____

        “What is your basic recipe for a dump cake? It's been fun reading
        about all the different combos, but I'm kind of new to this so a basic
        recipe would be helpful. “

      • K Hunt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
          Thanks for the basic dump cake recipe. I see you bake it for 40-50-
          minutes.....what temp to you shoot for?

          If you use canned fruit (ie fruit cocktail or peaches, etc.), do you use the
          juice instead of the soda pop, drain the juice, or use both?

          TIA again!

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
            As you can see there are a lot of favorites on the group. To answer your
            questions directly- Fruit and cake mix.
            LA Bear

            I guess I'll have to come out of lurkedome so that I can ask a
            question that I'm sure you all know the answer to.

            What is your basic recipe for a dump cake? It's been fun reading
            about all the different combos, but I'm kind of new to this so a basic
            recipe would be helpful.

            Thanks!

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.
            11:22 AM
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
              It's called a dump cake as you just "dump" the
              ingredients in. You DUMP the fruit it and spread it
              out. You DUMP the cake mix in raw and spread it over
              the fruit. You DUMP some butter or some Soda pop over
              the top. Then you bake it till done. Then you DUMP
              some on some plates and started chowing down. Then, if
              it ain't any good, you might need to go take a

              Mark

              --- Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

              > As you can see there are a lot of favorites on the
              > group. To answer your
              > questions directly- Fruit and cake mix.
              > LA Bear
              >
              > I guess I'll have to come out of lurkedome so that I
              > can ask a
              > question that I'm sure you all know the answer to.
              >
              > What is your basic recipe for a dump cake? It's
              > been fun reading
              > about all the different combos, but I'm kind of new
              > to this so a basic
              > recipe would be helpful.
              >
              > Thanks!

              > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
              > Release Date: 6/1/2007
              > 11:22 AM
              >

              > To unsubscribe from this group,
              > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of
              > the Group main page.
              > Then click on "Leave Group".
              > Yahoo! Groups Links
              >
              > (Yahoo! ID required)
              >
              > mailto:dutchovencooking-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Lori McClay

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 9, 2007
                  I went out and got some supplies to try the dump cake
                  things we've been talking about. So, here's a trivial
                  question:

                  Someone (I don't remember who) suggested putting a
                  layer of nuts and/or Brown sugar in the "stack".
                  Should that be on top of the filling, or on top of the
                  cake mix powder, with the soda and the butter?

                  MRKH

                  Mark Hansen

                  +++++

                  Inspiring rock music, free songs: http://markhansenmusic.com

                  LDS lifestyle and pop culture blog http://moboy.blogspot.com

                  Be a Master of Chapter and Verse! The collectible scripture card game http://chapterandversegame.com

                  Recipes and Ruminations of a Dutch Oven Cook: http://marksblackpot.blogspot.com

                  Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
                  in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 9, 2007
                    You are going to get an abundance of answers to your query. My thoughts...
                    Over the fruit and under the cake mix. It will get mixed all about when it
                    cooks anyway.
                    LA Bear

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                    3:15 PM