Re: What is your favorite dump cake combo?

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 22 , May 31 9:23 PM
      > Fran! The best dump cake is the one I happing to be eating at the
      time! Let's go cook! do you know a David or Jane Dean there in
      Ceveland OH

    • Fran L-G
      Message 2 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <losadaranch@...> wrote:

        > > Fran! The best dump cake is the one I happing to be eating at the
        > time!

        Well Dave, you have a point :-)

        Let's go cook! do you know a David or Jane Dean there in
        > Ceveland OH

        Sorry, can't say that I do. I did look up to see if there were any
        David Dean's in the phonebook & on Google, but nope, didn't know any
        of them (there were several). Google pointed out one was a professor
        at Case Western Reserve University, a prestigious university in this area.

        Fran L-G
        Cleveland OH
      • BISCUIT
        Message 3 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "icookforcrowds"
          <whitecrew@...> wrote:

          > Apple pie filling and caramel cake mix turned out yummy.

          I had a friend who did this with vanilla coke and caramel squares on
          top. Made it taste like a caramel apple.
        • tgcrom2000
          Message 4 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
            Hi Fran,

            I like the apple Pie filling and the spice cake. My kids have been
            doing a new one that is pretty good also! Blueberry pie filling and
            Lemon Pudding cake...Yummy!

            Ted
          • Michael Darnell
            Message 5 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
              Hi,

              Some of my fasvorites are:

              Raspberry and chocolate cake.

              Raspberry and peach with yellow or spice cake.

              Pineapple with coconut cake (pina colada ... mmm!)

              Apple with gingerbread, especially with pecans added.

              Apple with cinnamon cake.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...> wrote:

              > Hi all --
              >
              > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we do
              > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it more
              > popular with folks.
              >
              > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others found
              > to be a repeat favorite with them?
            • Lori McClay
              Message 6 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                My favorite is crushed pineapple on the bottom, cherry pie filling on top of that, butter yellow cake mix on top of that, and scatter about 1 1/2 sticks of butter slices over the top with 1/2 to 1 cup pecan pieces.

                We also have done diced pears, apple pie filling and spice cake mix. That one was a big hit.

                Lori

                icookforcrowds <whitecrew@...> wrote:
                Apple pie filling and caramel cake mix turned out yummy. We have
                also used cherries and blueberries with yellow cake mix. Anything
                goes!

                wrote:

                > Hi all --
                >
                > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                do
                > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                more
                > popular with folks.
                >
                > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                found
                > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                >
                > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of
                that
                > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                >

                > Fran L-G
                > Cleveland OH

              • Charcin
                Message 7 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                  One that is a huge hit and always ask for at our demo's from the crowd,
                  (Yep...I have "groupies"!!) is Spice cake mix with Tropical Fruit
                  Cocktail. The second in line is Crushed Pineapple with a handful of
                  brown sugar and yellow cake mix.
                  We also do Chocolate cake mix with smashed bananas as the fruit, and
                  smashed bananas with spice cake mix.

                  Cin

                  Cindy & Charlie Overton

                  Black Pot Demo's
                  Outdoor Cooking Seminars, Demo's and Private Chef
                  www.blackpotdemos.com <http://www.blackpotdemos.com/>

                  Cook N' Camp
                  A Full line of quality Outdoor Cooking products at discount prices
                  www.cookncamp.com <http://www.cookncamp.com/>

                  But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others found
                  to be a repeat favorite with them?

                  IFran L-G
                  Cleveland OH

                • Blunt William
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                    Strawberrys and peaches, white or yellow pudding cake mix, butter and pecans on top.

                    Will

                    "Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect; it means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

                    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."

                    wrote:

                    > Hi all --
                    >
                    > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                    do
                    > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                    more
                    > popular with folks.
                    >
                    > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                    found
                    > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                    >
                    > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                    > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                    > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of
                    that
                    > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                    >

                    > Fran L-G
                    > Cleveland OH

                  • Kathy
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                      Hi Fran

                      I can't make too many dump cakes for just the two of us. Pa eats a
                      small portion and the rest haunts me until it's gone.

                      bye for now,
                      mamabear-kathy

                      wrote:

                      > Hi all --
                      >
                      > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                      do
                      > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                      more
                      > popular with folks.
                      >
                      > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                      found
                      > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                      >
                      > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                      > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                      > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of that
                      > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                      >

                      > Fran L-G
                      > Cleveland OH

                    • Fritz
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                        This is the dump cake my daughter fixed at the first national DOG

                        Acorn Cake
                        10" oven

                        1 Can peach pie filling on the bottom
                        sprinkle 1/2 box of white cake mix
                        dust with cinnamon and sugar
                        then 1 jar of apple sauce
                        sprinkle the other 1/2 of a box of cake mix
                        dust with cinnamon and sugar
                        lightly mix the 2 layers of cake and the apple sauce
                        dust with cinnamon and sugar once more and top with a few pats of butter
                        bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes

                        This recipe was developed by my patrol at Golden Acorn boy scout
                        training in the 70's hence the name Acorn Cake
                        --
                        Fritz
                        http://www.realnativetexan.com
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                          As I recall, this was Heather's first "public" cooking, wasn't it
                          Fritz? And it was a good cake too! Ronda

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <fritz@...> wrote:

                          > This is the dump cake my daughter fixed at the first national DOG
                          >
                          > Acorn Cake
                          > 10" oven
                          >
                          > 1 Can peach pie filling on the bottom
                          > sprinkle 1/2 box of white cake mix
                          > dust with cinnamon and sugar
                          > then 1 jar of apple sauce
                          > sprinkle the other 1/2 of a box of cake mix
                          > dust with cinnamon and sugar
                          > lightly mix the 2 layers of cake and the apple sauce
                          > dust with cinnamon and sugar once more and top with a few pats of
                          butter
                          > bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes
                          >
                          > This recipe was developed by my patrol at Golden Acorn boy scout
                          > training in the 70's hence the name Acorn Cake
                          > --
                          > Fritz
                          > http://www.realnativetexan.com

                        • Elaine Wilson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                            Instructions said:
                            "bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes"

                            What is a ring?

                            Thanks,
                            Lane

                          • Mark
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                              What book is this recipe from? A ring of charcoal briquettes.

                              DOC Opa

                              > Instructions said:
                              > "bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes"
                              >
                              > What is a ring?
                              >
                              > Thanks,
                              > Lane
                            • Fran L-G
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                                Lane,

                                This "ring" refers to a ring of charcoal briquettes.

                                In Fritz's daughter's Acorn recipe, simply place a ring of briquettes
                                along the outer edge on the lid top, and another ring along the outer
                                edge under the bottom of the camp dutch oven (the dutch oven with
                                legs). If your dutch oven doesn't have legs, improvise to raise it
                                using things like a lid stand, empty tuna cans, trivets, bricks, etc.
                                Only need to raise it enough to fit a coal underneath or at least be
                                able to put a coal close to the edge of the pot bottom.

                                I like this technique more so than just counting the coals -- I just
                                put enough coals to make these outer rings. This works for most
                                recipes. If you need a hotter oven, then put more coals on the top.
                                If a lower temperature is needed, remove coals from both top & bottom.

                                Fran L-G
                                Cleveland OH

                                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Wilson
                                <campfirecalories@...> wrote:

                                > Instructions said:
                                > "bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes"
                                >
                                > What is a ring?
                                >
                                > Thanks,
                                > Lane
                              • Ronda
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                                  Lane - it's another method of temperature control. There's a really
                                  good explanation of it on the LSDOS site. Just go to:
                                  http://www.lsdos.com/outdoor.html
                                  and go to the section on charcoal and temperature control. There's
                                  some other good information there too, and some recipes. Ronda