What is your favorite dump cake combo?

  • Fran L-G
    Message 1 of 22 , May 31, 2007
      Hi all --

      We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we do
      dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it more
      popular with folks.

      But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others found
      to be a repeat favorite with them?

      I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
      variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
      different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of that
      one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?

      Fran L-G
      Cleveland OH
      Message 2 of 22 , May 31, 2007
        Spice Cake & Blueberry
        Cherry Chip & Cherry
        Spice Cake & Apple

        As far a fruit Cobbler combos go:
        Banana & Pineapple
        Granny Smith Green Apple & Blackberry
        Raspberry & Peaches
        Mango & Cherry

        Just to name a few

        --- Fran L-G <fran_lg@...> wrote:

        > Hi all --
        >
        > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry
        > filling when we do
        > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate
        > that makes it more
        > popular with folks.
        >
        > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions
        > have others found
        > to be a repeat favorite with them?
        >
        > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I
        > consider it a
        > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just
        > looking for something
        > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry
        > Heaven, I know of that
        > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
        >

        > Fran L-G
        > Cleveland OH

        Looking for earth-friendly autos?
        http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/
      • barbcox2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 22 , May 31, 2007
          Hi Fran,

          One of our favorites is peaches, the orange cake mix from the dreamcicle
          cake kit and orange soda.

          Barb

        • Gary Wilkins
          Message 4 of 22 , May 31, 2007
            Strawberries and yellow cake served with whipped cream

            This weekend peaches and cherries will be popular because the cookoff
            will be in the orchard.

            Arizona isn't all barren, you know.

            Gary
          • BISCUIT
            Message 5 of 22 , May 31, 2007
              I have another one. Chine Apple. Crushed pineapple and cherry pie
              filling.

              I like the Blueberry the best! Next to chocolate.
            • icookforcrowds
              Message 6 of 22 , May 31, 2007
                Apple pie filling and caramel cake mix turned out yummy. We have
                also used cherries and blueberries with yellow cake mix. Anything
                goes!

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...>
                wrote:

                > Hi all --
                >
                > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                do
                > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                more
                > popular with folks.
                >
                > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                found
                > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                >
                > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of
                that
                > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                >

                > Fran L-G
                > Cleveland OH

              • Warren Johnson
                Message 7 of 22 , May 31, 2007
                  Apple pie filling plus applesauce and spice cake mix.

                  Warren Johnson
                  Bountiful, Utah

                  We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we do
                  dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it more
                  popular with folks.

                  But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others found
                  to be a repeat favorite with them?

                  I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                  variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                  different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of that
                  one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?

                  Fran L-G
                  Cleveland OH

                  Then click on "Leave Group".
                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  3:03 PM
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 31, 2007
                    > Fran! The best dump cake is the one I happing to be eating at the
                    time! Let's go cook! do you know a David or Jane Dean there in
                    Ceveland OH

                  • Fran L-G
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <losadaranch@...> wrote:

                      > > Fran! The best dump cake is the one I happing to be eating at the
                      > time!

                      Well Dave, you have a point :-)

                      Let's go cook! do you know a David or Jane Dean there in
                      > Ceveland OH

                      Sorry, can't say that I do. I did look up to see if there were any
                      David Dean's in the phonebook & on Google, but nope, didn't know any
                      of them (there were several). Google pointed out one was a professor
                      at Case Western Reserve University, a prestigious university in this area.

                      Fran L-G
                      Cleveland OH
                    • BISCUIT
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "icookforcrowds"
                        <whitecrew@...> wrote:

                        > Apple pie filling and caramel cake mix turned out yummy.

                        I had a friend who did this with vanilla coke and caramel squares on
                        top. Made it taste like a caramel apple.
                      • tgcrom2000
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                          Hi Fran,

                          I like the apple Pie filling and the spice cake. My kids have been
                          doing a new one that is pretty good also! Blueberry pie filling and
                          Lemon Pudding cake...Yummy!

                          Ted
                        • Michael Darnell
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                            Hi,

                            Some of my fasvorites are:

                            Raspberry and chocolate cake.

                            Raspberry and peach with yellow or spice cake.

                            Pineapple with coconut cake (pina colada ... mmm!)

                            Apple with gingerbread, especially with pecans added.

                            Apple with cinnamon cake.

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...> wrote:

                            > Hi all --
                            >
                            > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we do
                            > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it more
                            > popular with folks.
                            >
                            > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others found
                            > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                          • Lori McClay
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                              My favorite is crushed pineapple on the bottom, cherry pie filling on top of that, butter yellow cake mix on top of that, and scatter about 1 1/2 sticks of butter slices over the top with 1/2 to 1 cup pecan pieces.

                              We also have done diced pears, apple pie filling and spice cake mix. That one was a big hit.

                              Lori

                              wrote:

                              > Hi all --
                              >
                              > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                              do
                              > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                              more
                              > popular with folks.
                              >
                              > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                              found
                              > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                              >
                              > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                              > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                              > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of
                              that
                              > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                              >

                              > Fran L-G
                              > Cleveland OH

                            • Charcin
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                                One that is a huge hit and always ask for at our demo's from the crowd,
                                (Yep...I have "groupies"!!) is Spice cake mix with Tropical Fruit
                                Cocktail. The second in line is Crushed Pineapple with a handful of
                                brown sugar and yellow cake mix.
                                We also do Chocolate cake mix with smashed bananas as the fruit, and
                                smashed bananas with spice cake mix.

                                Cin

                                Cindy & Charlie Overton

                                Black Pot Demo's
                                Outdoor Cooking Seminars, Demo's and Private Chef
                                www.blackpotdemos.com <http://www.blackpotdemos.com/>

                                Cook N' Camp
                                A Full line of quality Outdoor Cooking products at discount prices
                                www.cookncamp.com <http://www.cookncamp.com/>

                                But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others found
                                to be a repeat favorite with them?

                                IFran L-G
                                Cleveland OH

                              • Blunt William
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                                  Strawberrys and peaches, white or yellow pudding cake mix, butter and pecans on top.

                                  Will

                                  "Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect; it means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections."

                                  "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away."

                                  wrote:

                                  > Hi all --
                                  >
                                  > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                                  do
                                  > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                                  more
                                  > popular with folks.
                                  >
                                  > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                                  found
                                  > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                                  >
                                  > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                                  > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                                  > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of
                                  that
                                  > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                                  >

                                  > Fran L-G
                                  > Cleveland OH

                                • Kathy
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                                    Hi Fran

                                    I can't make too many dump cakes for just the two of us. Pa eats a
                                    small portion and the rest haunts me until it's gone.

                                    bye for now,
                                    mamabear-kathy

                                    wrote:

                                    > Hi all --
                                    >
                                    > We always get requests for chocolate cake / cherry filling when we
                                    do
                                    > dump cakes -- I suspect it is the love of chocolate that makes it
                                    more
                                    > popular with folks.
                                    >
                                    > But what other tried-and-true dump cake concoctions have others
                                    found
                                    > to be a repeat favorite with them?
                                    >
                                    > I know Mississippi Swamp Cake is popular, but I consider it a
                                    > variation of the chocolate/cherry combo, just looking for something
                                    > different. And there's also Mark's Blueberry Heaven, I know of that
                                    > one too. Anyone want to mention theirs?
                                    >

                                    > Fran L-G
                                    > Cleveland OH

                                  • Fritz
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                                      This is the dump cake my daughter fixed at the first national DOG

                                      Acorn Cake
                                      10" oven

                                      1 Can peach pie filling on the bottom
                                      sprinkle 1/2 box of white cake mix
                                      dust with cinnamon and sugar
                                      then 1 jar of apple sauce
                                      sprinkle the other 1/2 of a box of cake mix
                                      dust with cinnamon and sugar
                                      lightly mix the 2 layers of cake and the apple sauce
                                      dust with cinnamon and sugar once more and top with a few pats of butter
                                      bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes

                                      This recipe was developed by my patrol at Golden Acorn boy scout
                                      training in the 70's hence the name Acorn Cake
                                      --
                                      Fritz
                                      http://www.realnativetexan.com
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                                        As I recall, this was Heather's first "public" cooking, wasn't it
                                        Fritz? And it was a good cake too! Ronda

                                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Fritz <fritz@...> wrote:

                                        > This is the dump cake my daughter fixed at the first national DOG
                                        >
                                        > Acorn Cake
                                        > 10" oven
                                        >
                                        > 1 Can peach pie filling on the bottom
                                        > sprinkle 1/2 box of white cake mix
                                        > dust with cinnamon and sugar
                                        > then 1 jar of apple sauce
                                        > sprinkle the other 1/2 of a box of cake mix
                                        > dust with cinnamon and sugar
                                        > lightly mix the 2 layers of cake and the apple sauce
                                        > dust with cinnamon and sugar once more and top with a few pats of
                                        butter
                                        > bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes
                                        >
                                        > This recipe was developed by my patrol at Golden Acorn boy scout
                                        > training in the 70's hence the name Acorn Cake
                                        > --
                                        > Fritz
                                        > http://www.realnativetexan.com

                                      • Elaine Wilson
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jun 1, 2007
                                          Instructions said:
                                          "bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes"

                                          What is a ring?

                                          Thanks,
                                          Lane

                                        • Mark
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                                            What book is this recipe from? A ring of charcoal briquettes.

                                            DOC Opa

                                            > Instructions said:
                                            > "bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes"
                                            >
                                            > What is a ring?
                                            >
                                            > Thanks,
                                            > Lane
                                          • Fran L-G
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                                              Lane,

                                              This "ring" refers to a ring of charcoal briquettes.

                                              In Fritz's daughter's Acorn recipe, simply place a ring of briquettes
                                              along the outer edge on the lid top, and another ring along the outer
                                              edge under the bottom of the camp dutch oven (the dutch oven with
                                              legs). If your dutch oven doesn't have legs, improvise to raise it
                                              using things like a lid stand, empty tuna cans, trivets, bricks, etc.
                                              Only need to raise it enough to fit a coal underneath or at least be
                                              able to put a coal close to the edge of the pot bottom.

                                              I like this technique more so than just counting the coals -- I just
                                              put enough coals to make these outer rings. This works for most
                                              recipes. If you need a hotter oven, then put more coals on the top.
                                              If a lower temperature is needed, remove coals from both top & bottom.

                                              Fran L-G
                                              Cleveland OH

                                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Elaine Wilson
                                              <campfirecalories@...> wrote:

                                              > Instructions said:
                                              > "bake 1 ring top 1 ring bottom for 30-45 minutes"
                                              >
                                              > What is a ring?
                                              >
                                              > Thanks,
                                              > Lane
                                            • Ronda
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Jun 2, 2007
                                                Lane - it's another method of temperature control. There's a really
                                                good explanation of it on the LSDOS site. Just go to:
                                                http://www.lsdos.com/outdoor.html
                                                and go to the section on charcoal and temperature control. There's
                                                some other good information there too, and some recipes. Ronda