Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] NE OH Spring DOG

  • Ronda
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30, 2007
      Us too Dave! We had the awning on the camper waaayyyy down low to
      keep the rain away, & were still cooking under it! It wasn't easy,
      but we kept cooking! Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, DutchOvenDave@... wrote:

      > We have done that before. Tornado type winds, and we didn't cancel.

    • tbone
      Message 2 of 16 , May 1, 2007
        I live close to Marion and not more than 1.5 hours from you.
        Unfortunately I'm busy that weekend.
        If there's a fall DOG, I'll try my best to get there. I've never cooked
        with anyone but a couple members of our canoe club. It would be fun to
        see how the pros handle all the iron!

        Tony

        Fran L-G wrote:
        > We're finally having a DOG! --
        >
        > NE OH Spring DOG
        > May 20, Sunday, noon - 4pm
        > Location: "The Rusty Iron Ranch" in Olmsted Township, OH, southwest
        > Cuyahoga county
        >
        > Join us for an informal gathering to practice techniques, to cook up a
        > favorite or try a new recipe, or just to check out the cooking! Got a
        > dutch oven but never got around to trying it, we'll set you up!
        > Always wanted to try cooking with wood? We'll have a little fire pit
        > going for those who want to try it! Never baked a pizza on an
        > inverted dutch oven? Bring the fixings! Practice your entree for
        > that future cook-off, the judges will be plentiful and free!
        >
        > No set time for eating, we could be eating the entire time! Just be
        > sure to bring your own drinks & tableware. And also bring your own
        > water to cook with if needed, but there will be water available to wash.
        >
        > All are welcome. Since "The Rusty Iron Ranch" is on private property,
        > please contact me directly (fran_lg @ hotmail.com) for directions if
        > you are interested in attending. That way we'll know who to expect &
        > allow me to give our host a better head count on who all might be
        > there, as well as a contact point in case we have to cancel for
        > whatever reason.
        >
        > Hope you can join us!
        >
        > Fran L-G, mamabear-Kathy, and imdaboozer-Matt

      • Fran L-G
        Message 3 of 16 , May 1, 2007
          Pros? Nah, we're just having fun. I still get a kick out of Matt's
          box oven with the little scouts serving us hot biscuits in the chilly
          OH Fall, along a pot of Ray's hot Tuscany soup, & mamabear-Kathy's
          bright red Xmas-wrapped oven with foil wind shield. That was a memory!

          I'm sure we'll try it again in the future. I'd say this will be our,
          what, 5th OH get together since Dutchoven Dave got us started back at
          Gander Mtn in Sheffield one winter a few years ago?

          Fran L-G
          Cleveland OH

          Message 4 of 16 , May 1, 2007
            Tony - it's always fun to try new recipes, see new equipment /
            gadgets, etc., and meet new friends. Most of the folks on this
            group aren't pros though, we're all learning all the time! I know
            you'd have a great time cooking with Fran and the rest of them.
            Ronda

          • Robert Frank
            Message 5 of 16 , May 2, 2007
              I have been spending a little too much time in Gander Mountain lately but so far, no money to speak of. Does anyone have experience with their Creekside (TM) line of cast iron cookware? I don't know enough about the stuff to judge its quality.

            • yp_frank_eastlake
              Message 6 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Robert Frank
                <robertfrank4000@...> wrote:

                > I have been spending a little too much time in Gander Mountain
                lately but so far, no money to speak of. Does anyone have experience
                with their Creekside (TM) line of cast iron cookware? I don't know
                enough about the stuff to judge its quality.

                Be sure to check the fit of the lids. The last time I looked at their
                DO's in Mentor, OH the lids were warped and the lids that were not
                warped didn't fit very well. It may have just been that batch. Just a
                suggestion.
              • FRANK FOX
                Message 7 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                  Fran L-G, I would like to attend the NE OH, Spring DOG. Please keep me informed.
                  Thank You!

                  Frank

                • Matt
                  Message 8 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                    Fran, As far as I know you can count me in. I will probably bring
                    some other scouts and scouters along. Funny thing, the little scouts
                    from a couple years ago ain't so little anymore. Anyway, I'm looking
                    forward to coming. Just have to figure out what to cook.

                    Hey Kathy - welcome back.

                    Matt

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 2, 2007
                      <robertfrank4000@...> wrote:

                      > I have been spending a little too much time in Gander Mountain
                      lately but so far, no money to speak of. Does anyone have experience
                      with their Creekside (TM) line of cast iron cookware? I don't know
                      enough about the stuff to judge its quality.

                      Hi Robert,

                      Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Creekside brand. But, I do know that
                      Dick's Sporting Goods carries the Camp Chef brand, and Camp Chef is
                      quite popular on this list. The prices at Dick's don't seem too bad
                      either, at least their website advertises the 6 qt Camp Chef
                      Pre-Seasoned Classic (this is a 12" wide "regular" dutch oven) for
                      $27.99. And if you have an Entertainment Book, there is a $10 coupon
                      for Dick's off of a $50 purchase. Don't know if this helps.

                      Fran L-G
                      Cleveland OH
                    • Fran L-G
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 11, 2007
                        Just a reminder, if you are interested in attending, please drop me an
                        email if you have not already done so.

                        Fran L-G
                        Cleveland OH

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 22, 2007
                          Put another notch in the OH DOG belt, more like let loose the notch on
                          the OH DOG belt!

                          Beautiful day, fun location, familiar faces, new friends, great food.
                          Couldn't ask for more in a DOG.

                          Photos have been uploaded into the Photo Album: 2007 NE OH Spring DOG.

                          We had 8 families represented, and even with half of those families
                          there to watch their very first DOG, we had plenty of food, and more
                          kept being served. As soon as one dish was sampled and tasted,
                          another was soon ready, hot off the coals. You had to pace yourself
                          -- the food you were eating was so good and we knew that there was
                          going to be something else getting done in a bit!

                          This is what was cooked up (I hope I didn't miss any) --

                          Chicken Pot Pie
                          Chicken Enchilada
                          Chicken & Stuffing Casserole
                          Chicken & Sausage Jambalaya
                          Bratwurst & Sauerkraut
                          Ham Loaf
                          Pizza
                          Ranch Beans
                          Soda Pop Rolls
                          Parmesan Womp Rolls
                          10-in-a-5 (Womp Rolls in a 5")
                          Brownies
                          Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
                          Pumpkin Dump Cake

                          One lady got too busy earlier so she ended up arriving late for her
                          first dutch oven cooking experience, and we ended up not making her
                          dish. Too bad! I didn't realize that she had come prepared with the
                          ingredients for Blueberry Bangle (or maybe it was a Buckle) in her
                          bag. It would have been our chance to actually see & tasted a Bangle
                          ;-) Luckily she brought Ray a piece to work today which he
                          thoughtfully brought home to share, it sure was good whatever it was
                          called.

                          Our host at the Rusty Iron Ranch enjoyed the camaraderie & food so
                          well, that we have been invited back for future DOGs :-) Bringing
                          out his scooters for all to ride was an unexpected pleasant surprise,
                          a different fun twist to a DOG. And for the next DOG, our host is
                          even talking about having a hay ride through his woods. I hope
                          everyone enjoyed themselves at the Rusty Iron Ranch.

                          Fran L-G
                          Cleveland OH
                        • BISCUIT
                          Message 12 of 16 , May 23, 2007
                            Hey Fran!

                            That looks like a beautiful place for a DOG. I wished Biscuit could
                            have been there. WE call it a YARD DOG, if we have it at someones
                            house in Mississippi.

                            I saw Mama and Papa Bear in the photos. I hope they will make it to
                            the National DOG.