[Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: 5" Baby Lodge

    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
      I just want to know how I can learn Chinese before the rest of you! I would
      buy one if I could get the details in English before I committed. Bear

      12:48 PM
    • konrad_haskins
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 4, 2007
        Leon,

        Thanks I never saw that page. I found it from the Kansai chapter
        home page. The "Dutch Oven Online Shop" Link in English (even on
        the untranslated page) was just too tempting not to click. If you
        go to www.jdos.com there is a link at the very top to translate to
        English.

        If anyone needs buying tips email konrad at teddybearsbbq dot c0m .
        Knowing what I know now it would have cost me less in bank fees.
        Just remember the seller has very limited written and no spoken
        English. Just getting to the point of sending money took almost a
        month

        I was super P*ssed when I found out as I'd been searching for a 5CO
        whole or just lid for years only to find the USA was not worthy. I
        read a lot of BS in forums about why the possible was impossible. I
        was always suspect because the half and pint kettles are awful close
        in size and shape. Lodge also claimed the new machines could not
        make the 16CO.

        I love to buy American but Camp Chef does a much better marketing
        job and has a lot of really cool products Lodge never made or no
        longer makes. Lodge is also playing games by making discontinued
        products like the loaf pan and casserole and then selling them
        unannouced in the outlet store where eBay scalpers load up.

        Konrad

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Leon Perkins"
        <l599336@...>

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
          Will someone weigh in on this:
          I just saw a Camp Chef DO 5 half quart DO on CookNCamp.com.

          What is the defference from this and the Lodge 5 DO?

          Bear

          > "Read my lips, nomore 5" ovens. They are to small to make on our
          > machines.".... unless you live in Japan!
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/yshle3

        • K. Brown
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
            The main differences are in the lid design. The Camp Chef has the
            traditional Camp Chef lid design, while the Lodge has the traditional
            Lodge DO design.

            It is easier to spill ashes into your food the way Camp Chef designed
            those lids. An experienced cook will take a brush and get most of the
            ashes off the lid before they open it.

            When I take my Camp Chef 5 inch along, it usually becomes a table
            decoration or a holder for odds and ends instead of a cooking oven.

            The Sportsman's Guide price for the preseasoned Camp Chef 5 inch was
            $12.99 last week.

            Ken

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Randy Hebert"
            <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

            > Will someone weigh in on this:
            > I just saw a Camp Chef DO 5 half quart DO on CookNCamp.com.
            >
            > What is the defference from this and the Lodge 5 DO?
            >
            > Bear
            > >
            > > "Read my lips, nomore 5" ovens. They are to small to make on our
            > > machines.".... unless you live in Japan!
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/yshle3

          • Fran L-G
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
              I wonder about the leg length? I know the old Lodge 5" was tall
              enough to put a coal underneath, whereas the Camp Chef ones were on
              the short side -- either you had to improvise with extenders or use
              burned down coals. I wonder what the new Lodge 5" legs are like.

              I saw Leon's photos of the Lodge 5" that's sold in Japan -- in the
              Photos section.

              Fran L-G
              Cleveland OH

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "K. Brown" <savage99_250@...>

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
                About $200 difference. One is no longer available,
                whereas the CampChef model is readily available.

                --- Randy Hebert <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                > Will someone weigh in on this:
                > I just saw a Camp Chef DO 5 half quart DO on
                > CookNCamp.com.
                >
                > What is the defference from this and the Lodge 5 DO?
                >
                > Bear
                > >
                > > "Read my lips, nomore 5" ovens. They are to small
                > to make on our
                > > machines.".... unless you live in Japan!
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/yshle3

                Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
              • brad_g8
                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
                  I have both the Lodge and CampChef 5 inch ovens. The CampChef cooks
                  just as well as the lodge. Kind of upsetting that Lodge won't make any
                  for the US Market.

                  If you need a little height to get the CampChef above the coals,
                  someone mentioned using a couple of 1/2 or 3/4 inch copper pipe pieces
                  to extend the legs. Pretty simple solution that saves you a bundle.
                • konrad_haskins
                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
                    Comparing the new Lodge 5" JDOS and the Camp chef models side by side
                    they are very similar even the lids are similar. The 5" Lodge has
                    longer legs and a taller lip on the lid. The lodge lid lip is at the
                    outer edge while the CC lid has a horizontal lip. For cooking the
                    lodge is better by a hair. The camp chef works great (and is
                    affordable) for doing indidual desserts in a conventional oven.

                    Konrad

                    <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                    > Will someone weigh in on this:
                    > I just saw a Camp Chef DO 5 half quart DO on CookNCamp.com.
                    >
                    > What is the defference from this and the Lodge 5 DO?
                    >
                    > Bear
                    > >
                    > > "Read my lips, nomore 5" ovens. They are to small to make on our
                    > > machines.".... unless you live in Japan!
                    > >
                    > > http://tinyurl.com/yshle3

                  • Trevor
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 11, 2007
                      I just bought a Camp Chef 5" DO. The legs are a little on the short
                      side, so I bought a couple bricks to rest it on. With the handle
                      flanges sitting on the bricks it sits at just about the right
                      height. An added bonus is the bricks help block the wind, and maybe
                      even help keep the heat under the DO by absorbing some of the heat
                      and re-radiating it back. Another thing I've done is put a campfire
                      grill on the bricks and sit the baby DO on that. Hope this helps.

                      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...>

                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                        Take and cut some one inch long pieces of 1/2 inch
                        electrical conduit to use as leg extensions.
                        Lightweight and fit inside the oven when not in use.

                        Mark

                        Finding fabulous fares is fun.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                          Well I just ordered a CC #5 for my own testing... Don't know what I will
                          use it for but I got to have something smaller to add to my stack! Bear

                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 12, 2007
                            You're hooked, ain't ya buddy?!! haha!
                            Don't feel bad - I bought a CC 5" when they first came out, then
                            when IDOS put out the CC 5" limited edition, I bought one of those
                            also. And THEN - I finally got a 5" Lodge! I've used them all, for
                            different things. They're perfect for an individual pot pie, or a
                            single baked apple. And oftentimes, since I don't like cheese, I'll
                            take my serving out of the big pot and put it in the 5" before
                            adding the cheese to the big one.
                            You needed the 5" to add to your set - hope you have some fun with
                            it. They are attention getters for sure - especially when you
                            actually cook in them. Ronda

                            <RandyHebert@...> wrote:

                            > Well I just ordered a CC #5 for my own testing... Don't know what
                            I will
                            > use it for but I got to have something smaller to add to my
                            stack! Bear

                            4/11/2007