Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: Dutch Oven Liners

  • RandyHebert@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 26, 2007
      I am the last person on earth to have all the experience with cooking in a DO but I have recenty cooked a couple sugary dishes in my DO and even when I blew the number of coals on the bottom side and burnt the dish on the bottom clean up was a breeze. I guess the seasoning of my DO was better than I thought... Anyway, I am not saying I will never line a DO with foil again but I will say I probably will not be using unless I have a sneaky feeling about what I am cooking.
      Some of the lessons I am learning are to cook with less heat in the beginning and add more as needed so I don't overshoot my desired temps. I am sure Cap and Mark da fork can weigh in better than I can but that is my two cents for you anyway!

      Bear
    • shattuckb@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2007
        In a message dated 3/26/2007 11:01:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
        RandyHebert@... writes:

        I am the last person on earth to have all the experience with cooking in a
        DO but I have recenty cooked a couple sugary dishes in my DO and even when I
        blew the number of coals on the bottom side and burnt the dish on the bottom
        clean up was a breeze. I guess the seasoning of my DO was better than I
        thought... Anyway, I am not saying I will never line a DO with foil again but I
        will say I probably will not be using unless I have a sneaky feeling about
        what I am cooking.
        Some of the lessons I am learning are to cook with less heat in the
        beginning and add more as needed so I don't overshoot my desired temps. I am sure
        Cap and Mark da fork can weigh in better than I can but that is my two cents
        for you anyway!

        Bear

        Then click on "Leave Group".
        Yahoo! Groups Links

        There are a couple of cakes that need to come out of the DO for finishing
        and I use the easy release foil. Used to use parchment, but the foil is better.

        Moose, Sr.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2007
          I cooked a 2-layer Strawberry-Pecan cake saturday at
          our DOG in mesa, and had no problems flipping the cake
          out of 2-BRAND NEW Camp Chef 10 inch classic ovens.
          Pre-seasoned at the factory. Just wiped them down with
          some oil prior to pouring the cake into the ovens.
          Baked for 45 minutes with 7 coals under and 13 on top.
          When done, dumped coals from lid, then put lid back on
          and turned them over onto a lid stand. Flopped right
          out and cleanup was a snap as I only needed to wipe
          the oven out. I have found only ONE recipe to use foil
          in an oven with and that is the baked apples with
          cinnamon red hots, caramels, brown sugar, etc. The red
          hots turn very sticky and make for cleanup in the
          bottom somewhat of a challenge if not tackled
          immediately, and even then is even a little
          bothersome. I now wrap each apple in its own foil
          prior to placing in the oven which makes removal &
          cleanup a snap. Other than that recipe, I never use
          foil. Just my .02 worth.

          Mark
          --- shattuckb@... wrote:

          > In a message dated 3/26/2007 11:01:34 A.M. Pacific
          > Daylight Time,
          > RandyHebert@... writes:
          >
          > I am the last person on earth to have all the
          > experience with cooking in a
          > DO but I have recenty cooked a couple sugary dishes
          > in my DO and even when I
          > blew the number of coals on the bottom side and
          > burnt the dish on the bottom
          > clean up was a breeze. I guess the seasoning of my
          > DO was better than I
          > thought... Anyway, I am not saying I will never
          > line a DO with foil again but I
          > will say I probably will not be using unless I have
          > a sneaky feeling about
          > what I am cooking.
          > Some of the lessons I am learning are to cook with
          > less heat in the
          > beginning and add more as needed so I don't
          > overshoot my desired temps. I am sure
          > Cap and Mark da fork can weigh in better than I can
          > but that is my two cents
          > for you anyway!
          >
          > Bear
          >

          > To unsubscribe from this group,
          > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of
          > the Group main page.
          > Then click on "Leave Group".
          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > There are a couple of cakes that need to come out of
          > the DO for finishing
          > and I use the easy release foil. Used to use
          > parchment, but the foil is better.
          >
          > Moose, Sr.

          > removed]

          Don't pick lemons.
          See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
          http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html
        • Gary
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2007
            Doc, where do you go steelheading. The weather in WA hasnt bee very condusive this winter for getting out :(

            Gary in Seattle
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2007
              Michigan is where the "no running water camp" is.

              DOC Opa