using wood?

  • icookforcrowds
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
      Seems like there was a message posted a while back that asked how to
      cook with wood. We use wood when DO cooking and once we got the hang
      of it, everything comes out fine. If you have a question, I'd be
      happy to answer it if I can. Pretty much, we burn several pieces of
      wood until we get some good red coals and set the DO on enough coals
      to cover the bottom of the pot, put more coals on top of the lid than
      on the bottom and you're set. Anyone out there use wood?
      Becky in Independence, MO
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
        Becky,
        Cooking with wood truly takes a lot of practice and the cook becoming
        familiar with the wood they use. Pine , oak, manzinita and even maple
        and others all have minor to major differences between species. Thank
        you for the offer! I hope many will take you up on it.
      • icookforcrowds
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
          We go caming with our families a lot and with all our 'stuff' we just
          found it easier to have the campground host deliver a pile of wood
          instead of hauling charcoal with us. And there's nothing better than
          sitting around a campfire after dinner and toast some marshmallows!
          Can't wait until April when the campgrounds around here open up and we
          get to go camping!

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"
          <norcaldutchovendave@...> wrote:

          > Becky,
          > Cooking with wood truly takes a lot of practice and the cook becoming
          > familiar with the wood they use. Pine , oak, manzinita and even maple
          > and others all have minor to major differences between species. Thank
          > you for the offer! I hope many will take you up on it.

        • Ronda
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
            Becky - we use wood when we can. I haven't mastered baking bread or
            desserts with wood coals, but we use wood a lot when we're camping.
            Doug made a fire ring that we can put into pretty much any shape we
            want, so we do a keyhole type fire. Burn the fire at one end, leave
            the other end open for cooking. That way we can move the good coals
            over under the pot for cooking. Ronda

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "icookforcrowds"
            <whitecrew@...> wrote:

            > Seems like there was a message posted a while back that asked how to
            > cook with wood. We use wood when DO cooking and once we got the
            hang
            > of it, everything comes out fine. If you have a question, I'd be
            > happy to answer it if I can. Pretty much, we burn several pieces of
            > wood until we get some good red coals and set the DO on enough coals
            > to cover the bottom of the pot, put more coals on top of the lid
            than
            > on the bottom and you're set. Anyone out there use wood?
            > Becky in Independence, MO

          • Ronda
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
              It's not camping if you don't have a campfire! We usually take our
              own wood though, We cut plenty during the cooler months and always
              take lots with us. Ronda

              <whitecrew@...> wrote:

              > We go caming with our families a lot and with all our 'stuff' we
              just
              > found it easier to have the campground host deliver a pile of wood
              > instead of hauling charcoal with us. And there's nothing better
              than
              > sitting around a campfire after dinner and toast some
              marshmallows!
              > Can't wait until April when the campgrounds around here open up
              and we
              > get to go camping!
              >
              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"
              > <norcaldutchovendave@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Becky,
              > > Cooking with wood truly takes a lot of practice and the cook
              becoming
              > > familiar with the wood they use. Pine , oak, manzinita and even
              maple
              > > and others all have minor to major differences between species.
              Thank
              > > you for the offer! I hope many will take you up on it.

            • David Adams
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
                When I bake bread I make a torus out of the dough and stretch it out long
                so that it looks and feels like a tire inner tube. Then I lay it around
                the edge of the bottom of my oven. I use my 16" and my 14" deep for this.

                After the bread rises it is like a long baguette that is turned on itself
                like a really big bagel.

                I like this arrangement because as the bread is browing I can actually lift
                it out of the oven by a wooden spoon in the center hole, and check the bottom
                crust. Then I know where to shift coals.

                David

                --- Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                > Becky - we use wood when we can. I haven't mastered baking bread or
                > desserts with wood coals, but we use wood a lot when we're camping.
                > Doug made a fire ring that we can put into pretty much any shape we
                > want, so we do a keyhole type fire. Burn the fire at one end, leave
                > the other end open for cooking. That way we can move the good coals
                > over under the pot for cooking. Ronda
                >
                > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "icookforcrowds"
                > <whitecrew@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Seems like there was a message posted a while back that asked how to
                > > cook with wood. We use wood when DO cooking and once we got the
                > hang
                > > of it, everything comes out fine. If you have a question, I'd be
                > > happy to answer it if I can. Pretty much, we burn several pieces of
                > > wood until we get some good red coals and set the DO on enough coals
                > > to cover the bottom of the pot, put more coals on top of the lid
                > than
                > > on the bottom and you're set. Anyone out there use wood?
                > > Becky in Independence, MO
                > >

                > To unsubscribe from this group,
                > click on "Edit My Membership" at the top right of the Group main page.
                > Then click on "Leave Group".
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Never miss an email again!
              • B. Anderson
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
                  "...as the bread is browning I can actually lift it out of the oven by a wooden spoon in the center hole, and check the bottom crust."

                  Great idea, David! It's been awhile since I've baked bread. I'm going to give this a try.

                  Barbara

                • David Adams
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2007
                    Note: The bread I bake is kinda tough and chewy with a tough crust. A softer bread might not
                    take to this treatment so well.

                    My recipe is just flour water salt and sourdough culture. I make sure it is a quality high
                    protein flour.

                    David

                    --- "B. Anderson" <flowergirl909@...> wrote:

                    > "...as the bread is browning I can actually lift it out of the oven by a wooden spoon in the
                    > center hole, and check the bottom crust."
                    >
                    > Great idea, David! It's been awhile since I've baked bread. I'm going to give this a try.
                    >
                    > Barbara

                    Get your own web address.