Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: New - Very Old Oven

  • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
      You can sell it on Ebay AS IS. Depending upon the item and shipping you can
      do very well. The Lower the shipping the higher the price bid will be.
      Charging actual shipping costs or stating you add $5.00 as a handling fee also
      helps.

      Please let me know (and the other list members) when you do post and under
      what number. We can then add you to our preference list.

      Ken
      The Other Ken
      http://www.aol.com

    • Ken
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
        Some of it needs cleaning and seasoning, some is very gunked up with
        thick black crud, none is deeply rusted, but all need a good bit of
        cleaning and seasoning before use. On everything I sell on eBay, I
        charge actual USPS Priority Mail shipping unless someone wants
        something different. I eat the charges for handling, bubble wrap,
        wrapping tissue and whatever. I am still struggling with what I want to
        keep and what I want to sell.

        We are really busy working and haven't put anything on eBay for a
        while, but the name will be TwoPockets when we do. I am keeping the
        camp dutch ovens, the stove top dutch ovens, one of the griddles and at
        least a few of the skillets. I am debating on sandblasting the ones I
        am keeping and then seasoning them, what do you think?

        Another Ken

        > You can sell it on Ebay AS IS. Depending upon the item and shipping
        you can
        > do very well. The Lower the shipping the higher the price bid will
        be.
        > Charging actual shipping costs or stating you add $5.00 as a
        handling fee also
        > helps.
        >
        > Please let me know (and the other list members) when you do post and
        under
        > what number. We can then add you to our preference list.
        >

        > Ken
        > The Other Ken

      • Ronda
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
          I've never done any sandblasting Ken, but from what I hear, that
          takes it down to bare metal. Seems like it would be pretty hard to
          get a good seasoning after that. It might take a little more work
          to clean it up but I think you'd have a better chance of a really
          nice finish if you just used elbow grease. We've cleaned off some
          pretty good crud from the outside of a couple pieces without
          removing the good seasoning on the inside. Just my opinion. Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ken" <ov40pirate@...>
          wrote:

          > Some of it needs cleaning and seasoning, some is very gunked up
          with
          > thick black crud, none is deeply rusted, but all need a good bit
          of
          > cleaning and seasoning before use. On everything I sell on eBay, I
          > charge actual USPS Priority Mail shipping unless someone wants
          > something different. I eat the charges for handling, bubble wrap,
          > wrapping tissue and whatever. I am still struggling with what I
          want to
          > keep and what I want to sell.
          >
          > We are really busy working and haven't put anything on eBay for a
          > while, but the name will be TwoPockets when we do. I am keeping
          the
          > camp dutch ovens, the stove top dutch ovens, one of the griddles
          and at
          > least a few of the skillets. I am debating on sandblasting the
          ones I
          > am keeping and then seasoning them, what do you think?
          >
          > Another Ken

        • Mark
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 1, 2007
            http://www.panman.com/cleaning.html Don't sandblast those pans!

            DOC Opa

            I am debating on sandblasting the ones I
            > am keeping and then seasoning them, what do you think?
            >
            > Another Ken
            >

            > > You can sell it on Ebay AS IS. Depending upon the item and shipping
            > you can
            > > do very well. The Lower the shipping the higher the price bid will
            > be.
            > > Charging actual shipping costs or stating you add $5.00 as a
            > handling fee also
            > > helps.
            > >
            > > Please let me know (and the other list members) when you do post and
            > under
            > > what number. We can then add you to our preference list.
            > >

            > > Ken
            > > The Other Ken

          • brad_g8
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
              The only time you should need to sandblast might be for serious
              rust. If it's just gunk, other less damaging methods work well.

              There are many methods, all of which have been discussed here at
              lenghth and everyone has a favorite.

              Using my favorite method, I bake the gunked up iron on a Gas BBQ
              Grill. I know the temps are well over 1000 degrees in there because
              the aluminum bolts melted off and the 500 degree oven thermometer was
              pegged well past 500. The iron took the temps with no issues. Lodge
              pours cast iron at 2700 degrees and the stuff doesn't get soft until
              1800 degrees or so. Aluminum melts at 1200 or 1400 degrees.

              Everything on the ovens including paint, oil, other assorted crud and
              any seasoning always burns off. About an hour on high normally
              cleans about anything. After an hour on high, turn off all but one
              of the burners and set the remaining burner to the lowest setting
              possible. Let sit for another hour or two so everything can cool to a
              reasonable temp. After being on low for an hour or two, turn the gas
              off and allow to cool. this takes everything back to bare metal, and
              all the gunk is now ash.

              While cooling, as soon as the temp is low enough to handle with
              welding gloves, put a light coat of oil on the iron so it doesn't
              start to rust again.

              Once cool, use the high temp seasoning method to put a new layer of
              seasoning on. I've never had one fail yet.

              That's the way I do it. I'm sure just about everyone else has their
              own favorite method.

              Panman uses a plastic bag and chemicals. I haven't used it, but if
              he uses it, it must work well.

              Other folks use a self cleaning oven. Works about the same as my
              method, except I wouldn't put unknown gunk in the same oven I cook
              other meals in.

              Good luck in whatever method you choose.

              So far, I've never had a failure and I've done quite a few pieces.

              Brad G
            • BSAT80ASM@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 2, 2007
                KEN

                DO NOT SAND BLAST!

                Just post the items. If you want you can email me a list. I need to stock
                two boy scout troops with all the necessary items. I will be paying for this
                from my own pocket.

                Ken Spiegel
                The Other Ken

                Author of:

                An Eagle Court of Honor Book.
                What Every Scout, Scouter and Parent should know.
                A Troop Guide to Eagle Courts of Honor.
                A Book of Ideas, Ceremonies, Songs and Plans.

                The current copy is Version 8.0

                The cost of the CD is $10.

                Kenneth Spiegel ( _MVAEMT@..._ (mailto:MVAEMT@...) )
                49 Forte Avenue
                Medford, NY 11763

                A free copy of the version I gave out at the jamboree can be downloaded at

                _http://usscouts.org/usscouts/eagle/spiegeleaglebook/_

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
                  Thanks for all the replies.

                  I have used the plastic bag and oven cleaner on one of my late wife's
                  granmother's skillets that I was cleaning up for my daughter and it
                  worked pretty well. That skillet was clean and seasoned well inside,
                  but the bottom was gunked pretty bad. It still cooked good cornbread
                  but looked rough. I got most of the bottom stuff off without damaging
                  the inside finish. I need to give it one more treatment or take the
                  wire brush to it and then clean it and reseason it. This seems to work
                  pretty good for gunk.

                  I have also used Coca Cola on a not too bad rusted muffin pan and it
                  took the rust off, but since I have so many other pieces to de-rust, I
                  may look into an electrolysis set up.

                  If I leave the stuff I plan on selling in "as is" condition and only
                  have to clean and season the stuff I plan on using, it won't be so bad.
                  I have already cleaned up and seasoned a #8 and #12 stove top dutch
                  oven that we use and have 3 or 4 camp ovens I want to start working on
                  next to use. My wife has 4 skillets from her mother and grandmother
                  that we use all the time and I want to work on more skillets to give us
                  at least one from sizes #2 to #12 to use. I have a nice old Wagner
                  griddle I need to clean up to use out on the Camp Chef stove.

                  Maybe when the weather starts getting warmer I will get off my rear and
                  work on them.

                  Another Ken

                  > Panman uses a plastic bag and chemicals. I haven't used it, but if
                  > he uses it, it must work well.
                  >
                  > Other folks use a self cleaning oven. Works about the same as my
                  > method, except I wouldn't put unknown gunk in the same oven I cook
                  > other meals in.
                  >
                  > Good luck in whatever method you choose.
                  >
                  > So far, I've never had a failure and I've done quite a few pieces.
                  >
                  > Brad G

                • Wanda Anderson
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2007
                    We have taken the dutch ovens and took raw potatoes and wuartered them with the skins on and put them in the dutch oven and let them simmer for about an hour then we drained them and seasoned them like you usually do.
                    Mike