Re: New - Very Old Oven

  • brad_g8
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 1, 2007
      I kinda feel like Ronda here. The people that shop Ebay come in
      several different varieties. Some want clean, some want to clean it
      themselves. you just never know.

      What you might do is to check Ebay and watch the auctions. See if it's
      even worth putting the stuff up. I know fees (I've sold a few things)
      can get pretty stiff if the item only sells for a few dollars.

      Extremely unique iron that is collectable can sell for quite a bit, as
      the last aution of a Lodge 5 inch oveh showed (over $200). My
      experience is that most peices sell for under $20 wtih a lot under
      $10. Make sure you can sell the iron for enough to pay the fees and
      get a decent return in the process.

      Must admit that I'm jealous though. 200 peices of iron all at once.
      Great find!

      Brad G
    • Cyndie McFarlane
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 2, 2007
        Ken,
        where are you located at? We are looking for a few skillets.

        Thanks

        Ken <ov40pirate@...> wrote:
        Looking for a little advice here...

        We have a pretty big collection of cast iron cookware that we came by
        when we bought the entire contents of a barn at an estate auction. Once
        we dug through it, there was a pickup load of cast iron (about 200
        pieces)

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, brad_g8 <no_reply@...> wrote:

        > Ronda:
        > You are wise to be careful with stuff on Ebay. I purchased some old
        > tools a while ago and have two completely different stories.

      • Ken
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 3, 2007
          We are in the Birmingham, AL area. We still have to figure out which
          ones we are keeping and which we are selling. My wife and I are both
          incurable collectors of old stuff (which sounds better than pack
          rats) and we have a basement full and a 10x25 storage building here
          and a 10x10 in FL full of stuff we "may use some day". We filled up
          the rear of our Honda Element ugly box car (with the rear seats out)
          today from an estate down in Dothan, AL and I hope I can find room to
          store it.

          When I am not being lazy, I am working on selling a big collection of
          straight razors and pocket knives on eBay and selling some of my
          wife's old jewelry and glass collections. It gets to be too much like
          work though and cuts into my camping, cooking and relaxing time.

          We see a lot of good iron at local flea markets. The Griswold and
          Wagner Ware stuff goes really high, but you can find a lot of Made In
          USA skillets that are marked SK and the size number that are smoothly
          cast and very reasonably priced, I think a lot of this is older
          Lodge. There is a lot of really cheap off shore and very roughly cast
          iron out there too that has the old style gate marks on the bottom
          that make you think it is really old. I would stay away from that. I
          like my stuff to be baby bottom smooth on the inside and I don't see
          how you can get this rough stuff to be none stick.

          Another Ken

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Cyndie McFarlane