Vegan's and choices

  • Mark & Kathy
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
      I've also heard that Vegans won't eat any food cooked in a pot that
      meat has been cooked in. If a Vegan wanted to come to my camp or home
      where I was cooking they would have three choices, bring there own
      food and fix it themselves, eat what I cook for everyone else, or go
      hungry. When I was a kid and didn't like something I was giving three
      choices, EAT it, get a spanking and then have to eat it, or not have
      anything to eat at all till the next day. I learned to eat lots of
      things.
      I know that someone will lambast me for my opinions but hey, life
      is full of choices. If a person wants to be a Vegan then thats OK,
      that is there choice, but they don't have to make everyone else jump
      through hoops just to satisfy them. If I had to go to a Vegan picnic
      I'd eat what they were eating and not gripe about it.

      Mark Guidry
    • eye of newt
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
        On Feb 6, 2007, at 4:45 PM, Mark & Kathy wrote:

        > I've also heard that Vegans won't eat any food cooked in a pot that
        > meat has been cooked in.

        That's not always the case. They won't pick the chicken out of
        chicken noodle soup, but unless they're super strict, they're not
        going to think about seasoning on cast iron pots and grills. Teens
        are especially unlikely to think of this.

        Veganism is generally a very personal choice made on an intensely
        spiritual level, but so are religious diets. Would you refuse to
        accommodate someone who is keeping kosher or halal? (Granted, pot
        choice matters *very much there, so it may not even be relevant).

        Now, I have food allergies. I won't eat anything from a cast iron,
        stoneware, or teflon-coated pot which has previously held pork,
        gluten, soy, papaya, or moldy cheese. Fortunately, I doubt you want
        me keeling over while you call 911, so I imagine you won't mind too
        much when I bring my own food.

        ygg
      • Doug Thornton
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
          -I'll Amen that!
          Doug

          In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mark & Kathy" <katmar@...>
          wrote:

          > I've also heard that Vegans won't eat any food cooked in a pot
          that
          > meat has been cooked in. If a Vegan wanted to come to my camp or
          home
          > where I was cooking they would have three choices, bring there own
          > food and fix it themselves, eat what I cook for everyone else, or
          go
          > hungry. When I was a kid and didn't like something I was giving
          three
          > choices, EAT it, get a spanking and then have to eat it, or not
          have
          > anything to eat at all till the next day. I learned to eat lots of
          > things.
          > I know that someone will lambast me for my opinions but hey,
          life
          > is full of choices. If a person wants to be a Vegan then thats OK,
          > that is there choice, but they don't have to make everyone else
          jump
          > through hoops just to satisfy them. If I had to go to a Vegan
          picnic
          > I'd eat what they were eating and not gripe about it.
          >
          > Mark Guidry

        • John Foster
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
            Strict Vegans usually won't have anything to do with eating anything animal, whether it hurts
            the animal or not -- not eggs, milk, not even honey. They won't wear leather shoes or even
            ride in a Mercedes with leather upholstry. To each his own. But the way I see it, if it is about
            respecting life, if you eat a hamburger, you know ONE cow died. If you eat a salad, you don't
            know how many bunnies they had to shoot to keep them out of the lettuce patch. As for me, I
            didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat leaves.

            That being said, I think you need to accommodate them as unobtusively as possible, avoiding
            undue attention and avoiding anything animal - meats, animal fats, egg, honey, milk etc. Use
            lots of beans, nuts, rice, grains, veggies. Even Bread may be off the list - check the
            ingredients.

            John Foster

            "Carrot juice is murder" The Arrogant Worms
          • debbieredbear2000
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
              In one of the groups I am in, we have potlucks. At those, we label
              what is in our food so that those with food allergies or are on
              special diets can make their own choices. The vegetatrian families
              bring food they can eat. Sometimes I cook something they can have,
              sometimes not. We don't make a big deal out of it.

              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "John Foster" <jfoster@...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                ---
                Would you refuse to
                > accommodate someone who is keeping kosher or halal? (Granted,
                pot
                > choice matters *very much there, so it may not even be relevant).
                >
                > I have no idea what Halal is but it is there choice if they want
                to keep it. The one Jewish couple that we know and invite to our
                parties either eat what we cook or bring their own stuff to eat if
                we are doing something with pork.

                Another thing to remember is that if anyone is alergic to peanuts
                and eats anything cooked in a cast iron pot that has been seasoned
                with peanut oil or has had food cooked in it that contained peanuts
                or peanut oil will get sick. That's why it's a good idea to place a
                plackard in front of your pots indicating what the pot contains.

                Life is full of choices, make good ones.

                Mark Guidry
              • Ronda
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 6, 2007
                  I was raised the same way Mark. Like you said, learned to eat a lot
                  of things. Except cheese - they never converted me to that one. So
                  on nights when it was grilled cheese & soup, I had soup with bread &
                  butter.

                  Doug does eat cheese, as do our kids. If I make something that has
                  to have cheese in it, I just leave a little out in a separate dish
                  for myself. However Doug has figured out that some things actually
                  taste better without cheese. He even said a couple years ago that
                  he wondered if people who couldn't make food that tasted good just
                  put cheese on it to make it edible. Believe it or not, we actually
                  have been places where every single dish (meat, potato, salad,
                  vegetable & bread) had cheese on it! I ate chips & raw veggies -
                  without the cheese dip! But hey - some things need cheese! I solve
                  the problem by serving cheese on the side many times. Same way with
                  salads. We usually do a "salad bar" at our house, where people can
                  put whatever they want in with the lettuce. Some don't like
                  tomatoes, some don't like onion or green pepper. To each his own.

                  When cooking for a group or a family dinner though, I usually let
                  people know what we're cooking. I may do one spicey dish, and
                  another not spicey. If there's nothing on the menu that the
                  grandkids will eat, their parents bring food for them, or I fix mac
                  & cheese or hot dogs! Ronda
                  wrote:

                  > I've also heard that Vegans won't eat any food cooked in a pot
                  that
                  > meat has been cooked in. If a Vegan wanted to come to my camp or
                  home
                  > where I was cooking they would have three choices, bring there own
                  > food and fix it themselves, eat what I cook for everyone else, or
                  go
                  > hungry. When I was a kid and didn't like something I was giving
                  three
                  > choices, EAT it, get a spanking and then have to eat it, or not
                  have
                  > anything to eat at all till the next day. I learned to eat lots of
                  > things.
                  > I know that someone will lambast me for my opinions but hey,
                  life
                  > is full of choices. If a person wants to be a Vegan then thats OK,
                  > that is there choice, but they don't have to make everyone else
                  jump
                  > through hoops just to satisfy them. If I had to go to a Vegan
                  picnic
                  > I'd eat what they were eating and not gripe about it.
                  >
                  > Mark Guidry

                • marcus ward
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 7, 2007
                    vegan...spiritual? LOL....Anyone that would choose asparagus or brussel sprouts (FULL BODY SHUDDER)over meat is is retarded. I've known some vegans and they love to pop the vita suplements....and thay all look sickly anyway. Not politically correct here, and that's ok.
                    Marcus