Re: Cast Iron Seasoning in Solar Sun Oven....How SuhWeet is that!

  • Ronda
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
      Well that's certainly interesting! Especially for those who have an
      aversion to seasoning ovens in the kitchen. That doesn't bother us,
      but some folks it does, I know, and this might be a solution for
      them.
      We're getting a new cook stove for our kitchen though, and Doug says
      he can wire the shop for the oven part of our old stove. We're
      going to be able to season ovens in the shop now. Ain't he a
      sweetheart? Ronda

      --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "tmititifg" <tmititifg@...>
      wrote:

      > I am primarily a solar oven cook, but enjoy the fun and benefits
      of
      > Dutch Oven Cooking when it is needed. I found an interesting
      article on
      > seasoning Cast Iron Ware. It is by a fellow at an RV shop in Las
      Vegas.
      > He is not only a Dutch Oven cook, but also a solar cook. He
      seasoned
      > his 12inch in a solar oven. He also outlines his curing method
      using a
      > conventional oven or a BBQ. Here is article URL:
      >
      > http://vegastrailer.com/vts/curing.html
      >
      > Well I had to try it and it works! Hallelueja...No more greasy
      smoke or
      > propane burning. It was amazing. I followed the directions for
      > seasoning my 10" Lodge in the Sun Oven/or other SO and it was
      great...

      > Vern with a new patina at the Slabs in Niland, California

    • Fran L-G
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
        That solar sun cooking has certainly caught my eye, too bad we don't
        see too much of the sun to make use of it here. Maybe in the future,
        in another place.

        Pretty handy of Doug to set up the oven in the shop, it would be nice
        to have a self-cleaning oven away from the main house -- I have had
        several pieces of old iron waiting to be restored but haven't found
        the right time when someone wouldn't be offended by the burn off (no
        one home for a while). Plus Ray's co-workers have seen our pots when
        he has brought them in for a work potluck, and now they want to know
        if I can restore their old iron. Hmmm! I can send them back seasoned
        glossy, and they could pay me in gourmet chocolate or cheesecake or
        something :-)

        Fran L-G
        Cleveland OH

        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Ronda" <rlb_51@...> wrote:

        > Well that's certainly interesting! Especially for those who have an
        > aversion to seasoning ovens in the kitchen. That doesn't bother us,
        > but some folks it does, I know, and this might be a solution for
        > them.
        > We're getting a new cook stove for our kitchen though, and Doug says
        > he can wire the shop for the oven part of our old stove. We're
        > going to be able to season ovens in the shop now. Ain't he a
        > sweetheart? Ronda
        >
        > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "tmititifg" <tmititifg@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I am primarily a solar oven cook, but enjoy the fun and benefits
        > of
        > > Dutch Oven Cooking when it is needed. I found an interesting
        > article on
        > > seasoning Cast Iron Ware. It is by a fellow at an RV shop in Las
        > Vegas.
        > > He is not only a Dutch Oven cook, but also a solar cook. He
        > seasoned
        > > his 12inch in a solar oven. He also outlines his curing method
        > using a
        > > conventional oven or a BBQ. Here is article URL:
        > >
        > > http://vegastrailer.com/vts/curing.html
        > >
        > > Well I had to try it and it works! Hallelueja...No more greasy
        > smoke or
        > > propane burning. It was amazing. I followed the directions for
        > > seasoning my 10" Lodge in the Sun Oven/or other SO and it was
        > great...
        > >
        > > Vern with a new patina at the Slabs in Niland, California

      • Mark & Kathy
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
          Fran, If you'll want to try to do some solar oven cooking or even
          reseason a pot while you'll are down here in AZ. I have a solar Oven.
          I use it often but not as much as the D O's. 99.99% of the time we
          have plenty of sunshine so you can give it a good workout.

          "Da Fork"
        • Fran L-G
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
            Hey Mark, that sounds great! I've always wanted to see one of those
            solar ovens in action.

            Right now the temps in NE OH are at 1F with wind chills way below 0F.
            Actually, this is the first deep freeze of the season, we've been
            really lucky this year, and have skirted any show stopping snow
            storms. Still, looking forward to the upcoming AZ trip. The new 5th
            wheel should be ready for pick up, hopefully within the next couple of
            weekends, not many left before we gotta get on the road. I'll be sure
            to load up the cast iron pots up front to help compensate for pin
            weight, we are new at this fifth wheeling thing.

            Fran L-G
            Cleveland OH

            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Mark & Kathy" <katmar@...>
            wrote:

            > Fran, If you'll want to try to do some solar oven cooking or even
            > reseason a pot while you'll are down here in AZ. I have a solar Oven.
            > I use it often but not as much as the D O's. 99.99% of the time we
            > have plenty of sunshine so you can give it a good workout.
            >
            > "Da Fork"

          • Kathy
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
              -
              Hey Fran it was -1 when I got up this morning brrrrr Plenty of cold
              sunshine it won't even melt a thin layer of Ice on the front steps.

              Hey ya need some extra weight in that 5th wheel , I have gained
              a "few" extra pounds this winter that will hold down that pin. LOL
              Just head north pick/load me up and away we go. I could be your
              navigator. Steve won't miss me. LOL

              Ahhh Az. sunshine

              bye fornow,
              mamabear-kathy

              -- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Fran L-G" <fran_lg@...>
              wrote:

              > Hey Mark, that sounds great! I've always wanted to see one of those
              > solar ovens in action.
              >
              > Right now the temps in NE OH are at 1F with wind chills way below
              0F.
              > Actually, this is the first deep freeze of the season, we've been
              > really lucky this year, and have skirted any show stopping snow
              > storms. Still, looking forward to the upcoming AZ trip. The new
              5th
              > wheel should be ready for pick up, hopefully within the next couple
              of
              > weekends, not many left before we gotta get on the road. I'll be
              sure
              > to load up the cast iron pots up front to help compensate for pin
              > weight, we are new at this fifth wheeling thing.
              >

              > Fran L-G
              > Cleveland OH
            • Fran L-G
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                Oh kathy, that's a concern of mine, I hate being the "biggest" sister
                especially with the rest of my small-boned siblings... brings up a
                thought, we could organize a 3K walk or hike at these weekend DOGs,
                like the National DOG... eat, then walk it off... or 3K shopping
                spree, eat, then shop it off :-) :-)

                Fran L-G
                Cleveland OH

                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy" <mamabear5311@...> wrote:

                > -
                > Hey Fran it was -1 when I got up this morning brrrrr Plenty of cold
                > sunshine it won't even melt a thin layer of Ice on the front steps.
                >
                > Hey ya need some extra weight in that 5th wheel , I have gained
                > a "few" extra pounds this winter that will hold down that pin. LOL
                > Just head north pick/load me up and away we go. I could be your
                > navigator. Steve won't miss me. LOL
                >
                > Ahhh Az. sunshine
                >
                > bye fornow,
                > mamabear-kathy
              • Ronda
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                  Fran - I hate being the "little one" of the family, even though I'm
                  the oldest, and I really hate being "the skinny cook." Worst thing
                  is, I've not heard of anybody on the groups who will sympathize with
                  me! Hard to find recipes for gaining weight, they're all about
                  losing or maintaining! Ronda

                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                    Huh? We've posted many recipes that aren't for losing
                    or maintaining weight. There's Cheesecakes, cobblers,
                    breads, Biscuits & Gravy, and such. Maybe ya need to
                    just eat more?

                    --- Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:

                    > Fran - I hate being the "little one" of the family,
                    > even though I'm
                    > the oldest, and I really hate being "the skinny
                    > cook." Worst thing
                    > is, I've not heard of anybody on the groups who will
                    > sympathize with
                    > me! Hard to find recipes for gaining weight, they're
                    > all about
                    > losing or maintaining! Ronda

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                      mmmmm biscuits and gravy!!!!!! after super bowl mmmmmmmmm my mouth is
                      watering! On the solar thing I think its a novel idea yes..... but ALL
                      of my cast iron is seasoned at 450 to 500 degrees i want that oil IN
                      the pores of my cast iron. I want it to carbonize to that hard black
                      patina we all love and care for. A solar oven just doesn't get hot
                      enough for that. Even in Redding, Ca where the summer temps reach 120
                      degrees I've never seen a solar oven get hotter than 325 degrees. Even
                      if it got up to 400 its still not quite hot enough. As for skinny
                      cooks Ronda I'm 40 and still weigh only about 20 pounds more than i
                      did in high school and trust me Im a skinny cook! LOL take care all!
                    • Ronda
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                        I eat quite often, actually. I can put away an 8-10 oz. steak, a
                        baked potato loaded with butter and bacon bits & green onion (no
                        sour cream - yuk), a salad with italian dressing & a couple pieces
                        of bread with dipping oil. Still don't gain weight. I don't care
                        for sweets much so that's no help to me. Dessert if we have it is
                        fruit, or a fruit pie or cobbler, maybe some sherbert. I'm just a
                        meat & taters person. And I like my veggies, but they don't add
                        much weight.
                        I just had a couple banana muffins & some V-fusion juice for
                        breakfast today, a hamburger for lunch. During superbowl tonight, I
                        had 2 bowls of ham & beans, a bowl of chili, 3 helpings of Surprise
                        Meatballs, a plate of raw veggies (tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli,
                        cucumbers & carrots), an orange, and a piece of pineapple upside
                        down cake. And 3 beers. I've eaten enough today. I'm not hungry.
                        I just don't gain weight.
                        And I love biscuits & gravy - we have that almost every weekend -
                        just didn't fix any this morning. Ronda

                        --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark & Barbara Wilkins
                        <barb7513@...> wrote:

                        > Huh? We've posted many recipes that aren't for losing
                        > or maintaining weight. There's Cheesecakes, cobblers,
                        > breads, Biscuits & Gravy, and such. Maybe ya need to
                        > just eat more?
                        >

                        > --- Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Fran - I hate being the "little one" of the family,
                        > > even though I'm
                        > > the oldest, and I really hate being "the skinny
                        > > cook." Worst thing
                        > > is, I've not heard of anybody on the groups who will
                        > > sympathize with
                        > > me! Hard to find recipes for gaining weight, they're
                        > > all about
                        > > losing or maintaining! Ronda

                        _______________

                      • Ronda
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                          Dave - I weighed 94 lbs when I got my restricted driver's license at
                          age 14 or 15. I weighed 104.5 at my last dr.'s appointment. I'm 56.

                          So when it's 120 degrees in CA, is it humid also? I think our high
                          temp last summer was 112, but it was so humid it seemed much warmer.
                          We had a thermometer that registered almost 120, but I'm not sure how
                          accurate that was.

                          Super bowl turned out great didn't it? And we won a little $ on it
                          too! Ronda

                          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Dave"

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                            Rhonda,
                            Look at it this way God has blessed both you and me. I can't gain
                            weight no matter what I eat either. and This retired chef still loves
                            his food! As for the humidity in Redding, Ca it's dry heat so humidity
                            is not a problem.
                          • William Johnson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                              Ronda, there's nothing wrong with being "the skinny cook." And besides all the rumors, YOU CAN TRUST A SKINNY COOK!
                              Bakin' Bill

                              Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:
                              Fran - I hate being the "little one" of the family, even though I'm
                              the oldest, and I really hate being "the skinny cook." Worst thing
                              is, I've not heard of anybody on the groups who will sympathize with
                              me! Hard to find recipes for gaining weight, they're all about
                              losing or maintaining! Ronda

                              Recent Activity

                              14
                              New Members

                              Visit Your Group

                              Cooking recipes
                              Easy cooking recipes
                              Dutch oven cooking
                              Cooking recipe software
                              Dutch oven

                              Yahoo! News
                              Most Popular News
                              What's the most
                              popular news now?

                              Y! Toolbar
                              Get it Free!
                              easy 1-click access
                              to your groups.

                              Yahoo! Groups
                              Start a group
                              in 3 easy steps.
                              Connect with others.

                              .

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                                Ok, then if that's not it, maybe need to scale back on
                                the exercise. It sure is fun giving you a hard time.
                                Heck, we can probably fit you in a 17 inch MACA!

                                Mark

                                http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265
                              • Ronda
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 5, 2007
                                  Now there's an idea - less exercise! Ronda