Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Altitude

  • jdhart999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hi all,

      Thanks for the information about using a DO at altitude. Unfortunately I
      checked with the forest service and they are not allowing any open fires,
      propane stoves only. I guess my first DO camping adventure will have to wait
      until the fire hazard subsides. Of course that gives me more time to try
      recipes at home.

      Joanne
    • Brian Nielson
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
        Joanne,

        Depending on the recipe (as long as it doesn't need top heat) you can still
        cook with your DO on a stove top. Just this weekend, we changed our plans a
        bit at a family reunion, and ended up doing our potatoes and BBQ chicken
        both on the stove. Let the oven get hot, then you just need enough heat to
        maintain cooking temperatures for stews, soups, etc. You can't really bake
        this way, but you can do a lot of other stuff.

        Brian

        Thanks for the information about using a DO at altitude. Unfortunately I

        checked with the forest service and they are not allowing any open
        fires,
        propane stoves only. I guess my first DO camping adventure will have to
        wait
        until the fire hazard subsides. Of course that gives me more time to try

        recipes at home.

        Joanne

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1707
        744224:HM/A=1000239/R=0/*http://ads.x10.com/?bHlhaG9vaG0xLmRhd=102562136
        5%3eM=226014.2032696.3508022.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1707744224:HM/A=10002
        39/R=1>

        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • Barbara Wilkins
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 2, 2002
          In times where charcoal/wood fires are not allowed but
          propane stoves are, here is a trick that will still
          allow recipes needing top heat as well. If you have 2
          12" ovens (for example) you can use one pot and
          alternately heat the 2 lids & swap them out as they
          cool.

          http://sbc.yahoo.com