[Dutch Oven Cooking] Re: prime ribs

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 2, 2006
      Ok Hyd,
      Here it is my famous Dutch oven Prime rib recipe

      4 whole 9 bone prime rib roasts, bone in or out
      50 pounds rock salt
      1 pound black pepper
      4 oz. granulated garlic
      4 oz. granulated onion
      1 pound kosher salt
      1 quart Grey Pupon mustard (optional)

      In a 22" Maca Dutch oven, layer 4 lbs. rock salt across the bottom.
      Mix pepper onion, garlic and kosher salt together and rub 1/4 of the
      mix all over each roast. Slather with mustard if you like. place 2
      roasts in the bottom of the Dutch oven on top of the rock salt. Fill
      oven with rock salt covering both roasts about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Place
      next 2 roasts on top of the first layer fill the remaining space with
      rock salt covering the top roasts about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Cover. Start
      2 Weber charcoal chiminys full of briquettes. When briquettes are
      starting to turn grey pour 1 chiminy ontop of the lid in a ring around
      the outside and the second chiminy in a ring around the bottom of the
      oven. Let cook 4 to 5 hours replacing only half the coals after 2
      hours of cooking (1 chiminy) Do not lift the lid!!!!!!!!
      Cooks to a perfect medium rare to medium.

      You can do a single roast in a smaller oven if you like! DO NOT ADD
      ANY LIQUID OR SPRAY THE ROCK SALT WITH MOISTURE IT MAKES THE ROASTS
      SALTY!!!!

      Baked Potatoes

      Place a trivit in the bottom of the dutch oven
      Lightly spray the potatoes with oil then sprinkle kosher salt all over
      the outside. place in Dutch oven and bake for 1 hour over high heat.
      For a twist and extra flavor coat potatoes with bacon grease instead
      of oil. MMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMM GOOD!!!!!!
    • SamandHeidi
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
        Thaaaaank UUUUUUUU Dave!!!!

        Heidi
        aka "Hyd"

        President of, GOLD COUNTRY HORSEMEN'S ASSOCIATION
        www.goldcountryhorsemens.com

        www.samberriracing.com

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 3, 2006
          Dave,

          How many people do you count on feeding with your prime rib recipe?
          Thanks,

          Syb