Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] TURTLE CAKE

  • B. Anderson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2006
      "I am wondering if this "precook some batter" method would work for the Triple chocolate marshmallow layer cake, I wonder if it would work the same and keep the goodies from sinking, as we have all noticed the marshmallows kind of disappear in that cake."

      Heidi,

      The marshmallows melt during cooking. I don't think you'd get a distinct layer of them...but you could try it and let us know how it turns out!

      Barb

    • Tammy Lockington
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
        Ok, I thought I had saved this recipe. But turns out I saved the
        conversation ABOUT the recipe..
        anyone still have it? I want to try it camping this weekend

        tammy

        >From: "B. Anderson" <flowergirl909@...>
        >To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] TURTLE CAKE
        >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:52:40 -0700 (PDT)
        >
        >"I am wondering if this "precook some batter" method would work for the
        >Triple chocolate marshmallow layer cake, I wonder if it would work the same
        >and keep the goodies from sinking, as we have all noticed the marshmallows
        >kind of disappear in that cake."
        >
        > Heidi,
        >
        > The marshmallows melt during cooking. I don't think you'd get a
        >distinct layer of them...but you could try it and let us know how it turns
        >out!
        >
        > Barb

        Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
        http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07
      • Ronda
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
          See message 28821. Ronda

          --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "Tammy Lockington"
          <mom2monsterbrats@...> wrote:

          > Ok, I thought I had saved this recipe. But turns out I saved the
          > conversation ABOUT the recipe..
          > anyone still have it? I want to try it camping this weekend
          >
          > tammy
          >

          > >From: "B. Anderson" <flowergirl909@...>
          > >To: dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] TURTLE CAKE
          > >Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 21:52:40 -0700 (PDT)
          > >
          > >"I am wondering if this "precook some batter" method would work
          for the
          > >Triple chocolate marshmallow layer cake, I wonder if it would work
          the same
          > >and keep the goodies from sinking, as we have all noticed the
          marshmallows
          > >kind of disappear in that cake."
          > >
          > > Heidi,
          > >
          > > The marshmallows melt during cooking. I don't think you'd get
          > >distinct layer of them...but you could try it and let us know how
          it turns
          > >out!
          > >
          > > Barb

          > Exercise your brain! Try Flexicon.
          > http://games.msn.com/en/flexicon/default.htm?
          icid=flexicon_hmemailtaglinemarch07

        • SamandHeidi
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
            Tammy, here it is, this is the dessert I cooked at the World Championship
            DO cook off a couple weeks ago.
            DUTCH OVEN TURTLE CAKE

            1 BOX OF CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX, (MIX PER DIRECTIONS)
            NONSTICK COOKING SPRAY
            2 16 OZ. CONTAINER OF CARMAEL APPLE DIP OR ICE CREAM TOPPING.
            1 BAG OF MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
            2 CUPS COARSELY CHOPPED PECANS
            1 CUP PECAN HALVES

            1 10” DUTCH OVEN

            SPRAY INSIDE OF DUTCH OVEN WITH COOKING SPRAY. POUR ONE CUP OF CAKE MIX IN
            THE OVEN, SWIRL AROUND COATING BOTTOM. BAKE ABOUT 15 MINUTES UNTIL CAKE
            IS SET. 6 COALS BOTTOM 8 ON TOP OF LID. REMOVE FROM HEAT, SPOON ¾ OF THE
            CARMEL OVER SET CAKE. SPRINKLE WITH ¾ BAG OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS. SPRINKLE
            CHOPPED PECANS OVER THAT. POUR REMAINING BATTER OVER THE TOP. PLACE DOLLOPS
            OF REMAINING CARMEL ALL OVER TOP OF BATTER, WORK IT WITH A SPATULA JUST
            UNDER THE SURFACE OF BATTER. SPRINKLE WITH REMAINING CHOCOLATE CHIPS.
            ARRANGE PECAN HALVES ON TOP. REPLACE LID.
            PLACE BACK OVER ABOUT 8 COALS BOTTOM, 10 ON TOP. BAKE FOR ROUGHLY 45
            MINUTES OR UNTIL CAKE IS PULLING AWAY FROM THE SIDE AND SPRINGS BACK TO
            TOUCH. PULL FROM THE HEAT, LET SIT 20 MINUTES, FLIP IT OUT ON A COOLING
            RACK. LET COOL. FLIP BACK ONTO DUTCH OVEN LID.
            SERVE.

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
              Thanks so much!!

              tammy

              >From: "SamandHeidi" <samandheidi@...>
              >To: <dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com>
              >Subject: Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] TURTLE CAKE
              >Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 09:05:32 -0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
              >
              >Tammy, here it is, this is the dessert I cooked at the World Championship
              >DO cook off a couple weeks ago.
              >DUTCH OVEN TURTLE CAKE
              >
              >1 BOX OF CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX, (MIX PER DIRECTIONS)
              > NONSTICK COOKING SPRAY
              >2 16 OZ. CONTAINER OF CARMAEL APPLE DIP OR ICE CREAM TOPPING.
              >1 BAG OF MILK CHOCOLATE CHIPS
              >2 CUPS COARSELY CHOPPED PECANS
              >1 CUP PECAN HALVES
              >
              >1 10� DUTCH OVEN
              >
              >SPRAY INSIDE OF DUTCH OVEN WITH COOKING SPRAY. POUR ONE CUP OF CAKE MIX IN
              >THE OVEN, SWIRL AROUND COATING BOTTOM. BAKE ABOUT 15 MINUTES UNTIL CAKE
              >IS SET. 6 COALS BOTTOM 8 ON TOP OF LID. REMOVE FROM HEAT, SPOON � OF THE
              >CARMEL OVER SET CAKE. SPRINKLE WITH � BAG OF CHOCOLATE CHIPS. SPRINKLE
              >CHOPPED PECANS OVER THAT. POUR REMAINING BATTER OVER THE TOP. PLACE
              >DOLLOPS
              >OF REMAINING CARMEL ALL OVER TOP OF BATTER, WORK IT WITH A SPATULA JUST
              >UNDER THE SURFACE OF BATTER. SPRINKLE WITH REMAINING CHOCOLATE CHIPS.
              >ARRANGE PECAN HALVES ON TOP. REPLACE LID.
              >PLACE BACK OVER ABOUT 8 COALS BOTTOM, 10 ON TOP. BAKE FOR ROUGHLY 45
              >MINUTES OR UNTIL CAKE IS PULLING AWAY FROM THE SIDE AND SPRINGS BACK TO
              >TOUCH. PULL FROM THE HEAT, LET SIT 20 MINUTES, FLIP IT OUT ON A COOLING
              >RACK. LET COOL. FLIP BACK ONTO DUTCH OVEN LID.
              >SERVE.

              Interest Rates near 39yr lows! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,399/mo - Calculate
              new payment
              http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-18466&moid=7581
            • yet_erp
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 29, 2007
                I've done this same recipe in a bundt pan and it turned out great.