Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: cook off in Oakdale, Ca

  • DEBRA MASON
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
      well......I am appropriately intimidated......maybe I will enter a main
      dish. When I
      spoke to Chuck Mount about it he said. There will be a 3 hour time limit but it
      was ok to have your heat ready when you start. Nothing pre-cooked but it
      was ok to use canned/packaged products.
      I have competed in this cook-off in the past. They use "Good ole' boys"
      as judges so I learned that they go by their tastes alone. They don't
      understand complicated cooking techniques, so they don't appreciate
      the "difficulty" factor.
      Give me a holler if you need any more info........I look forward to
      meeting
      you there.
      deb

      At 04:47 PM 6/5/02, you wrote:
      >Hi Deb:
      >
      >Yes, I'm thinking of entering a dish in the dessert competition. I
      >have something that's perfect (which will remain nameless until the
      >appropriate time!). Oakdale's alot closer than Redding to me. Should
      >be fun.
      >
      >Steve
      >
      >--- In dutchovencooking@y..., DEBRA MASON <mason2@l...> wrote:
      > > Steve,
      > > Sorry it took me a little while to get back to you about the
      >cook-off june 22 in Oakdale at the mule show.
      > > There is a website but it doesn't have any info except a
      >contact name & phone
      > > number. Which is who I called & got the info that I posted the on
      >the
      > > calendar at
      > > the international do site. & also sent out the e-mail to this
      >message group.
      > > Unfortunately the AMA (American Mule Association) is not that
      >organized
      > > when it comes to the dutch oven cook-off part of the festivities. I
      >think the
      > > only reason they do it at all is because many of the members us the
      >ovens.
      > > The contact person is Chuck Mount. His phone # is 209-524-
      >2904.
      > > When I spoke to him I tried to get as much info as I could think of
      >& then
      > > I posted it.
      > > I tried to make myself available as a contact 209-545-3620.
      > > This will be my 3rd competition at this event. I won once,
      >lost
      > > once & didn't compete once. Last year we were allowed to enter
      > > a main dish or a dessert or both. The prize was really nice
      > > trophy buckles (which I wanted in the worst way). The lady
      > > that won took both of them.
      > > So Chuck said this year you can either enter 1 or the other.
      > > Are you thinking of coming?
      > > deb

      Debra Mason
      Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory