Re: cook off in Oakdale, Ca

  • sckaroly
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2002
      Hi Debbie:

      Do you have any more information on the cookoff? Is there a website?

      Steve Karoly

      --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "debbie_95356" <mason2@l...> wrote:
      > I spoke to the coordinator for the AMA (American Mule
      > Association) coordinator for the Mule show in Oakdale June 22 & 23
      > 2002. He gave me most of the info for the Dutch Oven cook-off part
      of
      > the festivities. The show runs all week-end but the cook-off
      > part starts precisely at 9 am Sat morning & ends at precisely
      > noon. You can enter either a main dish or a dessert, but not
      > both. There are going to be several prizes awarded this year
      > for various items to be determined at a later date.
      > No pre-cooked ingredients however, canned/boxed ingredients
      > appear to be ok.
      > I will update as I become aware.
      > Also, we talked about getting a dutch oven group started
      > in the Modesto area. We talked about having the AMA or the
      > Back Country Horsemen possibly put together some cooking
      > events in the future in order to figure out how much interest
      > & support there is in this area.
      > I have been competing at this event for several years
      > now. It is small but fun & growing. I would like to start
      > a dutch oven group in my home area (Modesto,CA). I am
      > sending out this message hoping to stir up some response.
      > So if you are interested or just want experience a cookoff
      > or want to just chat with other people give me a call.
      > deb
      > 209-545-3620
    • DEBRA MASON
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
        Steve,
        Sorry it took me a little while to get back to you about the cook-off
        june 22 in
        Oakdale at the mule show.
        There is a website but it doesn't have any info except a contact name
        & phone
        number. Which is who I called & got the info that I posted the on the
        calendar at
        the international do site. & also sent out the e-mail to this message group.
        Unfortunately the AMA (American Mule Association) is not that organized
        when it comes to the dutch oven cook-off part of the festivities. I think the
        only reason they do it at all is because many of the members us the ovens.
        The contact person is Chuck Mount. His phone # is 209-524-2904.
        When I spoke to him I tried to get as much info as I could think of & then
        I posted it.
        I tried to make myself available as a contact 209-545-3620.
        This will be my 3rd competition at this event. I won once, lost
        once & didn't compete once. Last year we were allowed to enter
        a main dish or a dessert or both. The prize was really nice
        trophy buckles (which I wanted in the worst way). The lady
        that won took both of them.
        So Chuck said this year you can either enter 1 or the other.
        Are you thinking of coming?
        deb

        At 10:01 AM 6/1/02, you wrote:
        >Hi Debbie:
        >
        >Do you have any more information on the cookoff? Is there a website?
        >
        >Steve Karoly
        >
        >--- In dutchovencooking@y..., "debbie_95356" <mason2@l...> wrote:
        > > I spoke to the coordinator for the AMA (American Mule
        > > Association) coordinator for the Mule show in Oakdale June 22 & 23
        > > 2002. He gave me most of the info for the Dutch Oven cook-off part
        >of
        > > the festivities. The show runs all week-end but the cook-off
        > > part starts precisely at 9 am Sat morning & ends at precisely
        > > noon. You can enter either a main dish or a dessert, but not
        > > both. There are going to be several prizes awarded this year
        > > for various items to be determined at a later date.
        > > No pre-cooked ingredients however, canned/boxed ingredients
        > > appear to be ok.
        > > I will update as I become aware.
        > > Also, we talked about getting a dutch oven group started
        > > in the Modesto area. We talked about having the AMA or the
        > > Back Country Horsemen possibly put together some cooking
        > > events in the future in order to figure out how much interest
        > > & support there is in this area.
        > > I have been competing at this event for several years
        > > now. It is small but fun & growing. I would like to start
        > > a dutch oven group in my home area (Modesto,CA). I am
        > > sending out this message hoping to stir up some response.
        > > So if you are interested or just want experience a cookoff
        > > or want to just chat with other people give me a call.
        > > deb
        > > 209-545-3620
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        --------------------------------------
        Debra Mason
        Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
        MS L-570 7000 East Avenue PO Box 808
        TRLR 5975 ROOM 500D
        Livermore CA 94550
        (925) 423-9568 / (925) 424-6085 fax
        mason2@...

      • sckaroly
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 5, 2002
          Hi Deb:

          Yes, I'm thinking of entering a dish in the dessert competition. I
          have something that's perfect (which will remain nameless until the
          appropriate time!). Oakdale's alot closer than Redding to me. Should
          be fun.

          Steve

          --- In dutchovencooking@y..., DEBRA MASON <mason2@l...> wrote:
          > Steve,
          > Sorry it took me a little while to get back to you about the
          cook-off june 22 in Oakdale at the mule show.
          > There is a website but it doesn't have any info except a
          contact name & phone
          > number. Which is who I called & got the info that I posted the on
          the
          > calendar at
          > the international do site. & also sent out the e-mail to this
          message group.
          > Unfortunately the AMA (American Mule Association) is not that
          organized
          > when it comes to the dutch oven cook-off part of the festivities. I
          think the
          > only reason they do it at all is because many of the members us the
          ovens.
          > The contact person is Chuck Mount. His phone # is 209-524-
          2904.
          > When I spoke to him I tried to get as much info as I could think of
          & then
          > I posted it.
          > I tried to make myself available as a contact 209-545-3620.
          > This will be my 3rd competition at this event. I won once,
          lost
          > once & didn't compete once. Last year we were allowed to enter
          > a main dish or a dessert or both. The prize was really nice
          > trophy buckles (which I wanted in the worst way). The lady
          > that won took both of them.
          > So Chuck said this year you can either enter 1 or the other.
          > Are you thinking of coming?
          > deb
        • DEBRA MASON
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 6, 2002
            well......I am appropriately intimidated......maybe I will enter a main
            dish. When I
            spoke to Chuck Mount about it he said. There will be a 3 hour time limit but it
            was ok to have your heat ready when you start. Nothing pre-cooked but it
            was ok to use canned/packaged products.
            I have competed in this cook-off in the past. They use "Good ole' boys"
            as judges so I learned that they go by their tastes alone. They don't
            understand complicated cooking techniques, so they don't appreciate
            the "difficulty" factor.
            Give me a holler if you need any more info........I look forward to
            meeting
            you there.
            deb