Re: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] Re: baby dutch

  • L M
    Message 1 of 25 , May 31, 2002
      I'm sorry Ramona - I should have given you the website for Gander Mountain in my post. http://www.GanderMountain.com I'm not sure if they have any in your area - They may be able to ship. Again, I'm not sure, but they do have a large selection of camp cooking misc. in their stores if you're able to get to one.
      Good luck!
      bb

      Message 2 of 25 , Jun 2, 2002
        Hi Wild Turkey
        What do people do with baby dutch ovens?
        Don,RS-

        wrote:

        > Romona,
        > hurry and call the vegas IFA they have one 5 inch do left. er
        > was two but couldn;t help myself ordered one for me. WT
      • brad_g8
        Message 3 of 25 , Jun 2, 2002
          I use the baby dutches for individual servings or very small
          cobblers. Others I know use them to embarass the guest of honor at a
          big dinner. Everyone else eats out of the big pot, the guest of
          honor gets their own personal meal.

          In my case, my kids won't eat the sweet stuff (go figure), so my wife
          and I are the only ones that eat the cobblers. The 5 inch makes a
          great two person cobbler.

          Most people use them for melting butter. Anything small.

          Brad

          --- In dutchovencooking@y..., redsquirrel1949 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Wild Turkey
          > What do people do with baby dutch ovens?
          > Don,RS-
          >
          > -- In dutchovencooking@y..., "wild_turkey76" <wild_turkey76@h...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Romona,
          > > hurry and call the vegas IFA they have one 5 inch do left.
          er
          > > was two but couldn;t help myself ordered one for me. WT
        • DEBRA MASON
          Message 4 of 25 , Jun 3, 2002
            I use mine to melt butter & whatnot while cooking. I also use it to melt
            chocolate
            while camping for dipping roasted marshmallows in as well.

            At 06:41 AM 6/2/02, you wrote:
            >I use the baby dutches for individual servings or very small
            >cobblers. Others I know use them to embarass the guest of honor at a
            >big dinner. Everyone else eats out of the big pot, the guest of
            >honor gets their own personal meal.
            >
            >In my case, my kids won't eat the sweet stuff (go figure), so my wife
            >and I are the only ones that eat the cobblers. The 5 inch makes a
            >great two person cobbler.
            >
            >Most people use them for melting butter. Anything small.
            >
            >Brad
            >
            >--- In dutchovencooking@y..., redsquirrel1949 <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > > Hi Wild Turkey
            > > What do people do with baby dutch ovens?
            > > Don,RS-
            > >
            > > -- In dutchovencooking@y..., "wild_turkey76" <wild_turkey76@h...>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Romona,
            > > > hurry and call the vegas IFA they have one 5 inch do left.
            >er
            > > > was two but couldn;t help myself ordered one for me. WT
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            --------------------------------------
            Debra Mason
            Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
            MS L-570 7000 East Avenue PO Box 808
            TRLR 5975 ROOM 500D
            Livermore CA 94550
            (925) 423-9568 / (925) 424-6085 fax
            mason2@...

          • ramona390
            Message 5 of 25 , Jun 5, 2002
              Think I've heard of 'em. None in our area, but I'm checkin out the
              website!
              Thanks,
              Ramona

              --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "L M" <bbcakes1a@h...> wrote:
              > I'm sorry Ramona - I should have given you the website for
              Gander Mountain in my post. http://www.GanderMountain.com
              I'm not sure if they have any in your area - They may be able to
              ship. Again, I'm not sure, but they do have a large selection of
              camp cooking misc. in their stores if you're able to get to one.
              > Good luck!
              > bb

              Service. Get more from the Web. FREE MSN Explorer download :
              http://explorer.msn.com

            • ramona390
              Message 6 of 25 , Jun 6, 2002
                Maybe I'm destined not to have one....I called 6 of their stores and
                no luck! Someone suggested pans.com but at $40 I am hesitating.
                Ramona

              • jguyfos
                Message 7 of 25 , Jun 6, 2002
                  --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "ramona390" <ramona390@y...> wrote:
                  > Maybe I'm destined not to have one....I called 6 of their stores and
                  > no luck! Someone suggested pans.com but at $40 I am hesitating.
                  > Ramona

                  I looked at pans.com and I doubt they were offering the 5" baby dutch.
                  It looked like the 8" was the smallest they had. Our sporting goods
                  store has 12's on sale for $29 (Lodge) so it's hard to pay $40 for the
                  baby!
                  -John
                • Brian Nielson
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jun 6, 2002
                    John,

                    Which store is that? Sounds like I might be able to add another 12" or 2 to
                    the collection.

                    Brian

                    > Maybe I'm destined not to have one....I called 6 of their stores and
                    > no luck! Someone suggested pans.com but at $40 I am hesitating.
                    > Ramona

                    I looked at pans.com and I doubt they were offering the 5" baby dutch.
                    It looked like the 8" was the smallest they had. Our sporting goods
                    store has 12's on sale for $29 (Lodge) so it's hard to pay $40 for the
                    baby!
                    -John

                    Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egroupweb/S=1707
                    744224:HM/A=763352/R=0/*http://www.classmates.com/index.tf?s=5085>

                    <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=213858.2097561.3556641.1829184/D=egrou
                    pmail/S=1707744224:HM/A=763352/rand=435805137>

                    <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
                  • ez2endo@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 25 , Jun 6, 2002
                      In a message dated 6/6/2002 9:00:30 AM Central Daylight Time,
                      ramona390@... writes:

                      > Maybe I'm destined not to have one....I called 6 of their stores and
                      > no luck! Someone suggested pans.com but at $40 I am hesitating.

                      NO NO! Try the IFA in Vegas that was list here earlier. I talked to a sales
                      girl who told me they were sold out, but she would ask the mgr. He just
                      returned my call the other day and took my order. He said he could get more!
                      $19.95 + sh

                      Chet \\\ot0
                      <A HREF="http://www.justxr.com/ez2endo/">Ez2endo's World</A>

                    • L M
                      Message 10 of 25 , Jun 6, 2002
                        Hi Ramona!
                        I'm not familiar with pans.com, but $40.00 is waaaay to much to pay for a small d.o. like that...even with the shipping.
                        Will keep an eye open for you...and will let you know when/if I see one.
                        Good luck!
                        Linda/bb

                        Maybe I'm destined not to have one....I called 6 of their stores and
                        no luck! Someone suggested pans.com but at $40 I am hesitating.
                        Ramona

                        --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "ramona390" <ramona390@y...> wrote:
                        > Think I've heard of 'em. None in our area, but I'm checkin out the
                        > website!
                        > Thanks,
                        > Ramona
                        >
                        > --- In dutchovencooking@y..., "L M" <bbcakes1a@h...> wrote:
                        > > I'm sorry Ramona - I should have given you the website
                        for
                        > Gander Mountain in my post.
                        http://www.GanderMountain.com
                        > I'm not sure if they have any in your area - They may be able to
                        > ship. Again, I'm not sure, but they do have a large selection
                        of
                        > camp cooking misc. in their stores if you're able to get to one.
                        > > Good luck!
                        > > bb

                        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                      • steve
                        Message 11 of 25 , Oct 18, 2003
                          Hey Jeep,
                          look on ebay they go for about 70 bucks now I got one of the
                          last two in utah almost two years ago for 19.95 sure wish I had
                          bought both good luck wt
                        • jc_carlyle
                          Message 12 of 25 , Oct 19, 2003
                            Sorry - this doesn't have anything to do with finding the 5" dutch
                            oven, it is a continuation of what to cook in it. My preference is
                            to make a half recipe of my favorite meat loaf and then serve it in
                            5" ovens. Eat it right out of the oven. Great, unique, and fun.

                            Carlyle

                            --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <wild_turkey76@h...>
                            wrote:

                            > Hey Jeep,
                            > look on ebay they go for about 70 bucks now I got one of the
                            > last two in utah almost two years ago for 19.95 sure wish I had
                            > bought both good luck wt
                          • "BISCUIT"
                            Message 13 of 25 , Oct 20, 2003
                              How many coals do you use? How long do you cook it?

                              --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, jc_carlyle <no_reply@y...>
                              wrote:
                              > Sorry - this doesn't have anything to do with finding the 5" dutch
                              > oven, it is a continuation of what to cook in it. My preference is
                              > to make a half recipe of my favorite meat loaf and then serve it in
                              > 5" ovens. Eat it right out of the oven. Great, unique, and fun.
                              >
                              > Carlyle
                              >
                              > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "steve"
                              <wild_turkey76@h...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hey Jeep,
                              > > look on ebay they go for about 70 bucks now I got one of the
                              > > last two in utah almost two years ago for 19.95 sure wish I had
                              > > bought both good luck wt
                            • jc_carlyle
                              Message 14 of 25 , Oct 20, 2003
                                I fill the outside of the lid with coals and put 3 underneath. Be
                                sure and check every once in a while to make sure it isn't cooking
                                too fast. If it is, remove some of the coals.

                                It takes about as long as a regular size meatloaf. about 45 minutes
                                to an hour.

                                Enjoy.

                                PS - I'm really not a coal counter. Usually I just ring the lid with
                                coals and and do the same on the bottom. Then I disperse the coals
                                in a checkerboard fashion, uness I am baking bread goods.

                                Carlyle

                                --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, "\"BISCUIT\"" <n5hbb@y...>