RE: [DUTCH OVEN COOKING] coals

  • NIELSON, BRIAN
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3 12:44 PM
      I have always had the best baking success putting about 1/3 of the required
      coals around the edge of the bottom and about 2/3 around the top with a few
      in the middle. I tend to use the oven size x 2= 350 and x3= 450. If I am
      using a deep oven I treat it as being one size larger for the coals on the
      top but not on the bottom. Of course you adjust for wind and cold-

      I often don't count, but have found that a circle of coals at the perimeter
      of the legs, with a space of a coal or two inbetween, and then a lid rimmed,
      barely touching, with 2 in the middle, is very consistent.

      The pineapple upside down cake recipe I use involves some melting and
      cooking before adding the cake, so I put extra heat underneath initially.

      Brian