Re: [Dutch Oven Cooking] Breakfast questions

    Message 1 of 39 , May 31, 2006
      Yes, biscuits & gravy are a great breakfast in a dutch
      oven. When doing biscuits, make sure there is plenty
      of oil in the bottom before placing biscuits in the
      oven.....doesnt hurt to place them in the hot oil,
      then turn them over and let both sides get oiled. You
      can make good biscuits with some Bisquick and some
      milk, or CeeDub has a basic baking powder biscuit
      recipe that any kid can make, so you should give it a
      try:

      2 cups flour
      1 pinch of salt
      1 tblsp baking powder
      2/3 cup of milk
      1/3 cup of oil

      Mix the dry ingredients, then add the wet. Mix only
      enough to get mixture to stick together---if you over
      knead, it releases the glutens and makes hard
      biscuits. Roll out and use your biscuit cutter to cut
      them out and bake as normal.

      When baking them, put your coals in a ring about the
      size of the bottom of your dutch oven, then load the
      lid same way, and then add about 6-8 more coals on the
      lid and you should be fine. As CeeDub says, if it
      smells done, its done. If it smells burnt, its burnt.
      If you dont smell it, then it aint done so dont peek!

      Good luck!

      Mark

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 39 of 39 , Jan 17, 2007
        What can I say.......Great minds think alike!

        Mark

        --- Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:

        > Alright Mark - did you pay him to say that??!!
        > Ronda
        >
        > --- In dutchovencooking@yahoogroups.com, Mark &
        > Barbara Wilkins
        > <barb7513@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > (tee hee hee hee!! )
        > >

        > > --- Leon Perkins <l599336@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > 40 lb. +/- I use it to cook the 10 lb. prime
        > rib
        > > > burried in rock salt for christmas. Not for the
        > > > skinny cooks!
        > > >
        > > > Ronda <rlb_51@...> wrote:
        > > > Just curious Leon - what does that
        > puppy
        > > > weigh? I have trouble
        > > > lifting the 16" regular Lodge when it's empty!
        > > > Ronda

        Never Miss an Email